300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• " Veteran Officer "

You hear it on the news and see it in the papers so let me ask you, When does a rookie officer become a " veteran officer" is it right after probation or is there a specific number floating around out there ?

Integrity in a officer means the settled disposition, the resolve and determination,
    the established habit "of doing right where there is no one to make you do it but yourself".... You are who you are when no one is looking

I'm 21 years old and have 2 and a half years on the job. I'm just about the most senior officer on my shift. What does that make me?

Comment

think that the title of veteran officer is usually a self declared title I only consider one officer on my shift a veteran because he retired from Angola and works with us as a 'play' job. Alot of COs, not all of them; that call themselves veteran officers are just trying to stroke there egos
      Shut up or Cuff up

Comment

Originally posted by NYboldest View Post
        You hear it on the news and see it in the papers so let me ask you, When does a rookie officer become a " veteran officer" is it right after probation or is there a specific number floating around out there ?
        I think you could throw out any number---and have arguements for and against that specific number.

Just remember that what the news says is not always the truth. Most news agencies REFUSE to use the term Correctional Officer but insist that we are guards.

Originally posted by Branis View Post
        I'm 21 years old and have 2 and a half years on the job. I'm just about the most senior officer on my shift. What does that make me?

The terms veteran officer and senior officer are not necessarily interchageable. (Not a knock on you Branis----just a statement)

Originally posted by Mcc2318 View Post
        think that the title of veteran officer is usually a self declared title I only consider one officer on my shift a veteran because he retired from Angola and works with us as a 'play' job. Alot of COs, not all of them; that call themselves veteran officers are just trying to stroke there egos
        Veteran officer is more of a term used by other staff to describe staff with such experience that both less experienced staff and more experienced staff trust to get the job done

I have always liked the 5 yr mark as a milestone in Corrections. You have received enough experience OJT to have a pretty good feel for the profession, but not enough to be jadded.

For one thing, in Iowa, at 5 yrs you are now vested in the retirement systme And the pay at the 5 yr mark is such that you almost can not afford to go anywhere else
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          The terms veteran officer and senior officer are not necessarily interchageable. (Not a knock on you Branis----just a statement)
          I know and no offense taken, I was just getting at its hard to nail what criteria would be for a veteran officer and I dont consider myself a veteran at all. just lucky enough to know better

Comment

Vets

In New York City whenever there is an incident in the news that involves law enforcement they usually call officers that are not on probation veteran officers (even if the officer has JUST past his probationary period) and they call probies "rookie officers". That is why I asked the question because I personally would not consider an officer who has just past probation a veteran officer.

Integrity in a officer means the settled disposition, the resolve and determination,
            the established habit "of doing right where there is no one to make you do it but yourself".... You are who you are when no one is looking

Comment

It all depends, I think on your experience.
              I have seen 20 year guys who know nothing. They have been hiding out their whole careers.
              I have seen 5 year guys who are awesome. They have been in the trenches since day one.
              I have 22 years and most of it has been hard. 15 in Shu. I consider myself an experienced guy.
              I was never a hide out type of guy. I am getting to the end though. I have 3 years left.
              Will most likely hide out my last year.

Comment

in NYC Corrections 1yr to 4yr= "New Jack" 5yr to 9yr= "Rookie" 10yr to 14yr= "Senior Officer" 15yrs+= "Veteran Officer"........... nuff said...
                We're BOLD baby!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BKSDON View Post
                  in NYC Corrections 1yr to 4yr= "New Jack" 5yr to 9yr= "Rookie" 10yr to 14yr= "Senior Officer" 15yrs+= "Veteran Officer"........... nuff said...
                  Alrighty then.
                  There' s your answer.
                  Like I said, I like to look at it in experience. The number means nothing if your a moron.
                  It dosen't make a good officer it justs makes you closer to retirement than a young guy.

Comment

Your Right...
                    We're BOLD baby!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3301 users online. 155 members and 3146 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X