300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PA State and County COs

Hey guys, I am looking for some answers from CURRENT PA COs (Not COs from other states) to solve a disagreement with a buddy.

He says that both State and County COs are covered under LEAOSA in Pennsylvania, I say no. If you do (which by the way, I have no problem with you being covered), where do you derive your authority from? By policy are you allowed to carry without a LTCF?

I know when I was a county CO, we had to carry under a LTCF.
    Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

PA state COs have no authority to carry off-duty. No arrest powers as well. I'm inclined to think county officers are in the same boat.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe159 View Post
      PA state COs have no authority to carry off-duty. No arrest powers as well. I'm inclined to think county officers are in the same boat.
      Yeah when I was a with county, we were not. Thanks for the reply, out of curiosity, are you with PA DOC??
      Dispatch, we have a 9-11, Armed Robbery in progress. Seay's Surplus Store, corner People's Drive and 124th Street.

Comment

Your buddy is wrong. PA state (can't speak for the county guys) have no arrest powers and can carry concealed the same way everyone else can, cwp. We carry only on Hospital trips/appts. or transport.

Comment

yeah.. dont forget perimeter control. they have a 12g and a 38 at my jail.

Comment

Originally posted by fedguy889 View Post
            Yeah when I was a with county, we were not. Thanks for the reply, out of curiosity, are you with PA DOC??
            I was for awhile then got into police work. PA DOC had great benefits and the work itself is what you made of it. Learned alot and had no regrets.. They have a tough job.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe159 View Post
              PA DOC had great benefits

Had is the right word. Now we pay for our benefits and the amount we pay is going to go up again soon. Pa's benefits... really arn't that great anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by wokeupscreamin View Post
                Had is the right word. Now we pay for our benefits and the amount we pay is going to go up again soon. Pa's benefits... really arn't that great anymore.
                I started in 1990 and left in 2000. At that time, the benefits were good. Friends who started with me still on the job today with PA DOC, have told me the same thing. The benefits are not as good today. Or, not so much the quality of the benefits but rather the amount of money you have to put into it has gone up.

Comment

e d i t e d . . . .
                  Last edited by DEcop989; 06-19-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DEcop989 View Post
                    When I worked at a county jail in PA we were definitely not covered because we had no weapons. At all.

Tower style prison in the middle of town, so no perimeter.

Transports were done unarmed.

Hospital details - unarmed as well.

Firearms training - none.
                    What?? Thats nuts!! I worked at a county prison in the middle of a town as well (LCP) and we had guns, never went anywhere with an inmate unarmed, never sat in a hospital unarmed. Thats just plain out stupid as all heck. We qualified with a S&W 357, once a year.

Comment

e d i t e d . . . .
                      Last edited by DEcop989; 06-19-2009, 04:47 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4094 users online. 197 members and 3897 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X