300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Far Would You Go??

Ok here is something thats been bugging me for a while. I recently have placed several applications for work at a few agencies and have been offered a position with a department that is about 70 miles from my house. It takes me about 50 mins to get there. They know I live the distance and eventually will require me to relo but would any of you drive the distance or currently do? Your thoughts are welcome.............

I live in Jacksonville, FL but have recently taken a new job up in Folkston, GA which is approximately 75 miles away. I commute daily which takes 1 ½ hours to drive. (each way) It's a long slog... I'm clocking up 750 miles per week, on my car / $100 + in Gas per week / 3 hours Driving per day (round trip) but it's a good job. It depends how much you want the position they've offered you?

Comment

are you married, do you have kids, there are other factors besides you, if your single then go for it, you can only grow from it.
      “One person can make a difference and every person should try.” JFKsigpic

Comment

I live a little over an hour away from my facility. Keep in mind that an 8 hour work day quickly turns into a 10 hour work day with the drive. That means earlier mornings or later nights. Its a drag. I have to wait one more year before I can transfer to the prison closer and when I can... I will. However... if you can get your foot into a door and suck it up until you transfer... it might just be worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I am trying to get my foot in the door and so far this has been the first offer I have recieved. I also applied to departments closer to home however it may be months away before I would get an answer. I do not want to pass this up and wait around. I am married and have no children at te moment.

Comment

It all depends on your situation, finances, and mindset.
            We have several employees that have driven 50+ miles (or a shade under 1 hr travel time) to come to work at our institution for 20+ yrs. One of them just recently built a new house another 20 miles farther away from work.....and has close to 11 yrs left before he is retirement age.

The current cost of gas is troublesome for many who have to commute 100 miles a day-------and it is not going to go down much------so that is something to think about for a long term situation.

In the short term--------------------take the job and start getting experience.

My $.02 worth
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I drive about 45 min.

Comment

I live north of Denver and am currently contemplating applying to Canon City facilities. It'd be a pain, but it would be worth it to get back in the game. Leaving the department was the worst decision I ever made.
                sigpic
                Don't make me gassy.
                You wouldn't LIKE me when I'm gassy...

If you're offended by something that I've said...it was just your turn.

Comment

I drive about one hour and 10 minutes each way. I'm in a good car pool so I drive about once a work week unless I ride the bike to work.

Comment

i used to have an hour and 15 min commute each way and i never thought anything of it. now i've got a 9 minute commute and i don't think i could ever go back.

Comment

I currently drive 30 minutes one way to work when I drive past a couple facilities that are about 10 to 15 minutes one way. It's all about being happy where you work. In a year or 2 if I am still in this area I can see myself going to another facility but I've gotta let that seniority build just a bit more first............

Comment

I currently drive roughly 45-50 min not a bad gig though

Comment

Originally posted by Noob View Post
                          Ok here is something thats been bugging me for a while. I recently have placed several applications for work at a few agencies and have been offered a position with a department that is about 70 miles from my house. It takes me about 50 mins to get there. They know I live the distance and eventually will require me to relo but would any of you drive the distance or currently do? Your thoughts are welcome.............
                          i am in the same boat as you. i am going through the application process with the NC DOC. i have an offer from one facility (waiting for them to call for my phsych & physical) and its close to an hour away.

to me its not bad. the CO's here work 12 shifts, 14 days a month average. so it wouldn't be like driving for a 8-5 monday-friday gig.

it supposed to be a really good facility so i figure i will take it. and if i don't like it or get tired of that facility, i will transfer to a closer facility when i can.

good luck!

Comment

i drive an hr and 30mins to work. On fridays it takes me about 3hrs to get home because of traffic. It sucks but its a good job and i have to deal with it until i move

Comment

Wow, some of you guys really go further than I would be. I will just have to factor in the expense of gas and just subtract it from what I would be earning and deal with it. It is a way for me to get my foot in the door and after reading these replies my confidence of driving over hour for work is getting higher. Thanks! lol I will never look at a person who complains about driving their whole 10 miles to work and "fights traffic" each day the same way again. Haha

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4185 users online. 195 members and 3990 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X