Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any CDC people out there...a question, please?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any CDC people out there...a question, please?

Hey, all my brothers & sisters with CDC -

I want to believe my 24 y/o son is not a complete idiot. Never been arrested. Says his pot-smoking days are way behind him. Hasn't fathered any kids out of wedlock. He didn't exactly burn up the college credit points. But he did go to a trade school and get a certificate in audio engineering. He actually did quite well - graduating in October of '07.

Okay, so the audio engineering resume is out there for lo these many months and the kid has been trying to keep himself afloat by getting any job....music store, Home Depot, Target, et al. He's not getting hired. He's afraid someone has used his name or SSA number out there in felony land and since no one ever tells him why he wasn't hired, he's wondering if it's that.

He got a clue when he discovered that a boyhood friend of his was in prison, in California. My son sent an application, seeking to visit him. The app was returned, disapproved - due to a felony conviction (remember, my son's never been arrested). The name on the CDC response was not his, but the social security number was. And remember, no one at the SSA will tell you who has used your SSA number, if and when you ask.

I admit I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed on many matters. Does this sound familiar to anyone here on O.com. Any ideas on how to research and rectify this situation if it's true?
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Kieth
    We run NCIC checks on all visitors here in Iowa. And yes we would deny someone with a felony conviction-----with a few exceptions.

As a retired California peace officer------I bet you could get ahold of the institution & explain the situation and probably get a little professional courtesy (I probably should not have used that term with the reputation it has on this forum).
    They might give you a heads up on the name used. Talk to one of the investigators at the prison he applied at.

Most likely at some point in time, someone typed in a wrong SS number someplace. I am sure you had false NCIC hits during your career.
    Of course it could be an ID theft case--------and thats a bigger deal.

I would say do a check on him yourself----------but I know that is not allowed. Ethics can get in the way of a good investigation sometimes (Joke, Joke, Joke)
    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-26-2008, 09:38 AM.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I do work for CDC, and have processed many vistors applications. We do run CLETS checks and NCIC checks on all applicants for visitation. If something comes back, such as a felony arrests, we do not research it further, we simply deny the application and move on. Unless we are shown court documents disproving our finds, we will not approve the visit. The easiest way to see if someone else is using your sons SSN is to have him obtain his credit report and check it over for inconcistancies, or use one of the many web services to run a background check yourself and see what comes up.
      I hate to be the one to prod here, but is there a chance there was an arrest you were not aware of? I too have come up with "false hits" because of bad entries, so that is always out there.
      Anyone can write a letter to an inmate...perhaps that would be the better route for your son to take. Most inmates have access to telephones also, if your son doesnt mind paying the exorbanent amount of money they charge, he could speak to the person that way also. This can be done until he gets this cleared up. PM me with the institution that he applied at and I will talk to you more...

Comment

sgt809....Thanks, but I would know if my son had hit the slammer.

The inmate he wanted to visit has been out a couple of years now and staying clean (off meth) and out of trouble - he has a good job and doesn't want to ruin that.

I'm beginning to see the credit background/checks as the way to go.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Glad to hear the former inmate is doing well....and good luck on your research. Identity theft is a pain...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5612 users online. 311 members and 5301 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X