• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think about your job?

On a scale of 1 to 5,
    1 being the worst
    5 being the best
    How much do you like your job as a CO?

Also, name the ONE thing you like the BEST about it and the ONE thing you like the LEAST about it.
    I absolutely HATE it.
    0.00%
    I really DON'T LIKE it.
    5.41%
    It's OKAY.. It's a job.
    48.65%
    I really LIKE my job.
    27.03%
    I absolutely LOVE it.
    18.92%
    "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Originally posted by Driven View Post
    On a scale of 1 to 5,
    1 being the worst
    5 being the best

Also, name the ONE thing you like the BEST about it and the ONE thing you like the LEAST about it.
    i'd say a 3.

I like the people I work with

I dislike the forced overtime, the inmates bs, jailhouse drama etc

Comment

On a scale of 1 to 5,
      1 being the worst
      5 being the best

i'd say a 3.

I like the people I work with

I dislike the forced overtime, the inmates bs, jailhouse drama etc

Comment

Oh, I'm a 5. I love my job and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Best thing: Get to be myself and no one hassles me over it.
        Worst thing: Inconsistency. Different supervisors all the time, policies always changing, etc.

Comment

I thought I saw a ghost..........lol
          Last edited by WPD954; 08-13-2008, 03:33 AM. Reason: typ

Comment

Its a job. I like it though. I know I sit at a desk, but i am not pushing papers or crunching numbers. Plus its nice not having to worry about my potty mouth 99% of it is boring as hell, but the 1% when it is action packed makes it worth it. Pays the bills, good benefits/pension (for now), and I will be retired at 48 years old.
            LT's Challenge Coins and Promotional Items.
            LT's Challenge Coins on Facebook
            Custom Challenge Coins, Dog Tags, Key Chains, Wristbands, and Patches.

**I was an NJPrisonCop when I joined this forum. I am now a NJPrisonLt**

Comment

I'd rate it a 3 also.

The biggest plus is that I work with some very good officers and I have friendships that will last as long as I live.

The biggest minus is the neverending bureaucracy and administrations that micromanage each and every facet of the job thus making us less effective as officers. It seems most of them are more concerned about alleviating overtime than what the inmates are doing......
              Last edited by Willard_DTC; 08-13-2008, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Back when I was a CO I would have rated the job a 4
                with the BEST part being the great staff and co-workers who DID the job that needed to be done......no matter what we got the job done.
                The worst being the crappy staff and co-workers that either caused the problems or just were not part of the solution.

Now as a Supervisor I would rate the job a 2

Crappy administrators who micro manage the system from the central office
                (No one at the Central Office level has ever been a warden of an institution)
                Crappy administrators at the local level (No one on the admin team has ever had to run a shift 24/7....all came out of treatment)
                Crappy coworkers..............people promoted to their highest level of incompetence.
                Crappy staff who just show up for a paycheck or to bitch about their jobs

The best thing is the inmates.................I can lock them in a cell and walk away..................

Oh the joy of being close to retirement!
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I'd say a 4 or a 5 on the good days.

the best things are my co-workers (the majority of them) are hilarious and awesome to work with.

the crappiest part is that ive been in almost a year and I'm still a temp because there are no open positions.
                  WE DON'T GET PAID TO LOSE

"Be nice, until it's time NOT to be nice" ~ Patrick Swayze in Roadhouse

Comment

On a scale of 1 to 5,
                    1 being the worst
                    5 being the best

Best - doing so little for so much pay.
                    Worst - not getting paid enough for those 10-30 mins spats with Satan.

Comment

where else can you get paid the way we do, work less than 120 days a year, just to say "no". i never regret going to the joint. i like it allot!!!

Comment

I think it is a 5.

The best part is working with those that love it just as much as me.

The worst part is working with "dirty bosses"
                        "Hostages will not be recognized as a means or method of escape from this institution."

Comment

I chose option two. While there are days I like my job and really enjoy it, I'm not staying here. The pay could be much better, the retirement sucks compared to patrol, and I really don't like having to be inside all day, everyday and smelling that jail smell.

Also there is no escaping the stupidity. I realize this to some extent is everywhere, it feels magnified 100x in corrections.

I'm not knocking the job, its an ok job and I do it pretty well, but I recognize the fact its not for me. I'll be leaving at first good opportunity.

Edit: Forgot to add the schedule BLOWS! Along with mandatory overtime and not being able to take my earned leave when I need it gets to me.
                          Last edited by johnnyReb; 08-19-2008, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Meh.... Im 'bout done with it.
                            He teaches my hands to make war,
                            so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
                            Psalms 18:34

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6220 users online. 327 members and 5893 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X