300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewJacks & Contraband = Disaster.... The Pitfalls of a Corrections Probie

In the past couple of weeks/months there have been at least three NYCDOC probationary officers fired for among other things bringing in contraband into the jails for inmates. When I read theses stories online and in the papers I find it hard to believe that after all the trouble and changes they put a recruit through to get the job some flush it all down the toilet after making it. This corrections thread on the forum is dominated by recruits and hopefuls who come here and ask questions about the job and learn a lot from the veterans who offer advice. I am asking all the veterans out there who have been there and done that to please give the future officers on this thread some advice on how to avoid the pitfalls and recognize the warning signs that can lead to getting jammed up on this job ( before they even get a chance to pass probation ) Thanks.
    Last edited by NYboldest; 08-12-2008, 09:04 AM. Reason: edit

Integrity in a officer means the settled disposition, the resolve and determination,
    the established habit "of doing right where there is no one to make you do it but yourself".... You are who you are when no one is looking

Pitfalls of a Probie

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/27/ny...0durand&st=cse

Two Rikers Island correction officers were fired on Wednesday after they were accused of smuggling marijuana, alcohol and tobacco to an inmate who is awaiting trial in the death of a police officer last July, officials said.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08102008...ped_123869.htm

Another Rikers Island correction officer has been fired for smuggling smokes to an inmate housed in the same jail as accused cop killer Lee Woods, The Post has learned.
    Probationary officer Nancy Merraro was fired Thursday for allegedly sneaking cigarettes to inmate Stoney Murphy, a Correction Department spokesman confirmed.

She is the fifth jailer in the past month accused of giving preferential treatment to an inmate.
    Last edited by NYboldest; 08-12-2008, 09:21 AM. Reason: edit

Integrity in a officer means the settled disposition, the resolve and determination,
    the established habit "of doing right where there is no one to make you do it but yourself".... You are who you are when no one is looking

Comment

NYCBOLDEST,

You are correct about these situations. I'm a recruit now in my 8 week and I cannot see this ever being morally correct

Comment

Corrections Officers, especially the new ones who are unsure of themselves yet, are easy prey for inmates looking to get things in for them. We have it, but not as rampant as other institutions. Inmates have 24 hours a day and 7 days a week to figure that out. The best tip I give the new guys I train is if it comes through the gate with you, it should stay with you. The most i tolerate being given to inmates is coffee for my tier runners (my personal workers). And thats ONLY if it is going to get thrown out at the end of the shift. We have people who bring in coffee to specifically make for the inmates. I guess they think it is a good way to keep control.
        LT's Challenge Coins and Promotional Items.
        LT's Challenge Coins on Facebook
        Custom Challenge Coins, Dog Tags, Key Chains, Wristbands, and Patches.

**I was an NJPrisonCop when I joined this forum. I am now a NJPrisonLt**

Comment

I think a lot of it is greed. One of our newbies got fired in a random patdown search of all c/o's coming in the gate. He had four packs of cigarettes taped to his leg. He said he was getting $100.00 a pack. (never did find out if he was doing this everyday)
          Working AT the jail is bad enough, I don't want to be IN jail.

Comment

Probies

Originally posted by cjco View Post
            I think a lot of it is greed. One of our newbies got fired in a random patdown search of all c/o's coming in the gate. He had four packs of cigarettes taped to his leg. He said he was getting $100.00 a pack. (never did find out if he was doing this everyday)
            Working AT the jail is bad enough, I don't want to be IN jail.

I agree, I also believe that fear might play a big part in this too. I also don't understand how the two probationary officers in the link I posted above were assigned to work anywhere near a high profile inmate (cop killer).

Comment

We had one bringing in steaks and other assorted "good" street foods. All for $50.00 a delivery (from what they say). IA got video of the drop at a local train station. What a day that was. F'in amazing!

Comment

its not just rookies though...

Comment

Originally posted by NYboldest View Post
                  In the past couple of weeks/months there have been at least three NYCDOC probationary officers fired for among other things bringing in contraband into the jails for inmates. When I read theses stories online and in the papers I find it hard to believe that after all the trouble and changes they put a recruit through to get the job some flush it all down the toilet after making it. This corrections thread on the forum is dominated by recruits and hopefuls who come here and ask questions about the job and learn a lot from the veterans who offer advice. I am asking all the veterans out there who have been there and done that to please give the future officers on this thread some advice on how to avoid the pitfalls and recognize the warning signs that can lead to getting jammed up on this job ( before they even get a chance to pass probation ) Thanks.
                  Anyone, probie or not, knows right from wrong. And if you really don't, it's cool they cover that in the academy/FTO phase... I couldn't care less if some idiot, inmate lover gets fired for smuggling contraband into the jail. Good, we need less idiots in this profession anyhow.
                  The views expressed in this article are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.

Comment

As an Officer assigned to the jail where these officers degraded themselves and the Department as a whole, it is so messed up what they alledgedly did. I am still on Probation but I will be damned if I hand over my job to a freaking inmate. Yeah they will try and convience you to bring in "CONTRABAND" but you let them know that you're not for sell and if they step to you again with the bull s*** you inform that crab that they are about to catch another charge. They will leave you alone. You should never be scared of any of these crabs and if you are then you're in the wrong profession. Be FIRM, FAIR & CONSISTANT with them and they will get the word out that you are not for sell. You got to remember these inmates are not you friends and they will do whatever they have to do to beat some of their time which means bringing down a dirty CO, which is like gold to them.
                    Last edited by Bkbadboy75; 08-14-2008, 07:33 AM.
                    PATROLLING THE TOUGHTEST PRECINCTS IN NYC

Comment

Probies

Thanks BK I was hoping someone from the Island would step in and say something. I understand that veterans fall into this trap. But I really wanted to understand how a new officer fresh out of the academy after all the lessons, warnings,paperwork medicals ,physicals and all the other hurdles would throw out all out the window so early in the game.

Comment

Yes, it is not the newbies. Anyone from 25 minutes to 25 years is susceptible to this. And as someone said, we need these idiots weeded out anyhow.

BK: You keep talking about the crabs? you sound like a blood inmate talking about the crips. why can't they be slobs? BK.... hmmmmmmmmmm. Contradictory. You must be a fan of BURGER KING

Comment

NewJacks

Originally posted by NJPrisonCop View Post
                          Yes, it is not the newbies. Anyone from 25 minutes to 25 years is susceptible to this. And as someone said, we need these idiots weeded out anyhow.

BK: You keep talking about the crabs? you sound like a blood inmate talking about the crips. why can't they be slobs? BK.... hmmmmmmmmmm. Contradictory. You must be a fan of BURGER KING

NJPrisoncop, Funny you should mention that. Do most Officers behave like officers or do some eventually mimic the mannerisms & lingo of Convicts after awhile ?

Comment

We call the inmates"crabs" in NYCDOC because that's what they are.
                            P/M me for a patch trade.

Comment

I have found that probbies are usually not the problem.

Normally it is veteran staff that bring in stuff around my system.
                              We fired one (well she quit during the investigation) last month with about 7 yrs in. Bringing in sun glasses and cigars.................to her "friend" who was selling the above on the yard....He dimed her out in a heartbeat when he was locked up under investigation.

The one from last year had about 18 months in and was probably the "youngest" I have seen here in the last 20 yrs.

In the last 5 yrs or so.............we usually end up catching an average of 1 per year.................no one has had less than 5 yrs in the system when caught. We find very little evidence that the activity started in the first year........maybe the grooming started then but the actual bringing in of contraband us usually later.

READ THIS THREAD
                              http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...hlight=downing

Based on MY experience in the Iowa system......my .02 worth
                              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 08-13-2008, 05:35 PM.
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6185 users online. 321 members and 5864 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X