300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy with NYSDOC Questions

I'm new to the forums and have been reading many of the threads but I have some questions for those of you who are on the job in NYSDOC.

1. I took the test in April of this year (2008) and I scored a 90 and my rank on the list, according to my results notice, is 64. How long should I expect to wait to be contacted to move on to the next step?

2. What facilities are the best to work in? I have friends and family who are CO's and when I talk to each of them they all say the facility they are in is the best one. I'm looking for an overall opinion on this. I've talked to CO's in Southport, Elmira, Woodbourne and Five Points and they all say their place is the place to be.

3. I was on patrol, what would would you all say are the things that might make a person switch to being a CO?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
    Last edited by Driven; 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM.
    "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Originally posted by Driven View Post
    I'm new to the forums and have been reading many of the threads but I have some questions for those of you who are on the job in NYDOC.

1. I took the test in April of this year (2008) and I scored a 90 and my rank on the list, according to my results notice, is 64. How long should I expect to wait to be contacted to move on to the next step?

2. What facilities are the best to work in? I have friends and family who are CO's and when I talk to each of them they all say the facility they are in is the best one. I'm looking for an overall opinion on this. I've talked to CO's in Southport, Elmira, Woodbourne and Five Points and they all say their place is the place to be.

3. I was on patrol, what would would you all say are the things that might make a person switch to being a CO?

I also took the April 08 test and got 75

From what I hear that even people that took the October 07 test still didn't get called. So, it might be for a while until they start calling us.

So far all I got was a Canvas letter. How about you?

Comment

Originally posted by FSANE View Post
      I also took the April 08 test and got 75

From what I hear that even people that took the October 07 test still didn't get called. So, it might be for a while until they start calling us.

So far all I got was a Canvas letter. How about you?
      I haven't even gotten a canvas letter... the only thing I got was the notice of my test results and my rank on the list. I got a 90 on the test and ranked 64th on the list according to my letter. I didn't get anything else. What did you get? What did the canvas letter say?
      "Rulers are not a cause of fear for good behavior but for evil behavior. Do you want to have no fear of authority? Do what is good and you will have praise from the same." ~~ God

Comment

I haven't even gotten a canvas letter... the only thing I got was the notice of my test results and my rank on the list. I got a 90 on the test and ranked 64th on the list according to my letter. I didn't get anything else. What did you get? What did the canvas letter say?
        the letter asked one question

1. Am I still interested

2. Maybe

3. No I am not.

Comment

When did you get that?

I wonder how you got it scoring a 75 and I didn't get it scoring a 90???

I guess I better call them.

Comment

When did you get that?

I wonder how you got it scoring a 75 and I didn't get it scoring a 90???

I guess I better call them.
            If you didnt get the canvass letter I would inquire about it, about 1 month after you get the canvass letter you will receive a packet containing an application for CO and other paper work along with a date to report for your physical and to meet with your BI. After that you will get schedueled to take the written psych exam, and after you finish the written you will get a date and place to report for your psych interview. That process can take 4 months as it did for me. After your psych interview you have to wait till your name comes up to attend the academy, and there is no telling how long that will take, as Fsane said the Oct. 07 class is still waiting to be called and it's been 10 months since we took the test. Also, when you meet your BI make sure you tell him everything because they will find out if you didnt, and any discrepancies can delay your processing which means you might miss a class and have to wait for another one, so provide all information. Other than that, best of luck to you.
            I hate a SNITCH, they are a lower life form than inmates

Comment

Ok, so I called NYSDOC Backgrounds Investigations today and they said that they have not canvassed anyone from the April 2008 exam yet. So FSANE, I don't know if we are talking about the same exam. Are you referring to the NYC exam? NYSDOC has not done anything with the April test yet.

I'd like to bump this thread back to my original post and solicate some responses to my original questions. Here is the original post again:

I'm new to the forums and have been reading many of the threads but I have some questions for those of you who are on the job in NYSDOC.

Comment

What? WOW SO I am the only one that got the letter? lol

Comment

Originally posted by FSANE View Post
                  What? WOW SO I am the only one that got the letter? lol
                  Seriously, I'm not saying you didn't get something in the mail, I'm just telling you what they told me directly. They said they haven't even finished the list from the October 2007 exam.

What was your exam number?
                  What day did you take it?
                  Where did you take it?
                  Are you talking about the City corrections exam?

Comment

NYSDOC Exam 24997

I took it April 12th of this year in Rockland County Highschool

Got 75

Rank 1713

Observing and recalling.... 12 of 15
                    Applying written info....... 8 of 15
                    Understanding and inter... 10 of 15
                    preparing written mat...... 11 of 15
                    Last edited by FSANE; 08-12-2008, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Mayby this will help you :

1) There is no set time frame as to when you will move to the next step, your score and ranking will put you in the first group when they get to it, but there still processing the Oct. 07 group, I got my canvass letter 4 months after I took the test and I was ranked 800+ so again there is NO set time frame how long it will take for you to get your canvass letter.

2) As far as "best facility to work in" well thats up to you, what might work for a hundred other guy's might not work for you. You have to find a prison that you are satisfied with re; getting along with other staff, effectivness with the inmates, etc, and every prison is different. Some people might like Max and you might hate it, it's a personal decision.

3) Why be a CO ? decent pay and good benefits. Why switch? you have to ask yourself that question, no one can answer that except yourself.
                      Last edited by fieldtech; 08-12-2008, 08:38 AM.
                      I hate a SNITCH, they are a lower life form than inmates

Comment

Best facility..I can answer that..IT'S CALLED SHAWANGUNK.
                        If we unite and fight..we can win the day..Save Ogdensburgh or your facility may be next..

Comment

There is only one answer to that question ATTICA!!!!

Comment

Best Faciltity - The one YOU like , fit in at , & call home !!!
                            I drink , I drive fast cars , and I fondle women . But I am my own boss , and do have weekends off !

Comment

The BEST one for me is the one thats 8 miles from my house that i work at..with gas as high as it is LOL..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5696 users online. 334 members and 5362 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X