Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys. had my interview at tci yesterday and columbus today they seemed that they wanted to get people though the process quicker i hope but we will see, talked to some officers at tci yesterday said its a great place to work. Where do they send you for basic training does anyone know. Thanks for your replays zilla

Comment

Hey dharley. how was oc and spray

Comment

Even though i havent been there but 2 weeks, its a great enviroment. Ive been a part of the family business and owned it for 13 years total, so i was "curious" to see how i would do working for someone else, and there hasnt been a problem at all. It also helps that on my shift the brass are really good guys, my Sgt. iin seg s great as is the Sgt. from MCON which is basically next door, plus the people are great, so it really helps. Anyone with rank, from Sgt on up, all have x amount of years experience so theyre also very helpful with any questions. Alot of them actually came from Colombus, and while im not saying anything bad about it, i know they prefer it here....thouhg some of it is for sure the fact of it being a new institution and all. Superintendent and Asst are great guys as well, all of staff have nothing but good things to say about them. So while i havent heard anything bad about Colombus, i know alot of the guys from there REALLY like TCI.

Training is either in Whiteville, White Lake, or Salemburg. I know when i went for the interview the paper said it would be in Salemburg, but they have staff in the different areas to try and accomodate as many as possible. So chances are you'll go to Whiteville which is where i should be going as well being from Brunswick County.

OC Spray....let me tell ya, i was looking forward to it. I was ready and i was really looking forward to seeing what it was like, just like i am the taser. HOWEVER, i would not have a probelm never being sprayed again!! It didnt help i got a good mouthful as i have very senitive eyes so the spray hitting me made me open my mouth as i guess i wasnt as ready as i thought. The burning didnt bother me, but being ive always had trouble with my eyes they were messed up for a while. Likei said the pain wasnt too bad just not being able to see bothered me alot. Some people took it like champs, some said that if they have to get sprayed again (we're going to the foam stuff in a few months) they will quit, which i think is ridiculous, but to each theyre own.

Comment

Its the academy that you may want to prepare physically for. It is somewhat demanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Custodian View Post
            Its the academy that you may want to prepare physically for. It is somewhat demanding.

i am in pretty good shape compared to the average guy. i work out with weights and try to run or ride my bike a few times a week. but if i am going into corrections, i want to be in ALOT better shape than the average person.

any recommendations on how to get prepared? should we be concentrating on running, pushups, situps......etc?

thanks
            Last edited by zmurphy; 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM.

Comment

lots of cardio work.....strength work

Outlasting wind wise is the most important. Being "big" means nothing....being "strong" means a lot more.

Comment

As far as an academy goes, are you talking about a private academy that a sheriffs dept might run?? There isnt an academy for NCDOC, not anymore anyways if there used to be. When they send you to basic, you'll be learning CRDT, but that isnt even that physical according to the guys who just went through training last month.

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                lots of cardio work.....strength work

Outlasting wind wise is the most important. Being "big" means nothing....being "strong" means a lot more.
                I agree with you on this, partly anyways....physical strength is def important, but i wouldnt say "being big means nothing". Im 6'3", 350 lbs...max bench was 480lbs roughly 8 months ago. Im not obese by any means, dont have much of a belly at all, im just very built and very strong. My point is while im definetly strong enough, being the size i am goes hand in hand with that strength to help with the amount of force i put out. I agree that "size isnt everything", but if you take someone who is 200lbs and can "match me" muscle wise, my weight would come into play when it comes to pushin people around, etc. Same with a fight, im not gonna wind quickly and i know how to fight, but you cant have someone who is just a big body but cant last 30 seconds either. Here is a quote from a member discussing the topic of fitness in corrections a few months back:

Originally posted by Jennick52 View Post

Do I consider size a factor in corrections? Yes and no. Do I want to work with someone who can be tossed around like a rag doll by even an average inmate, no. On the other hand, I don't want to work with someone who would take 5 minutes to respond the 5th floor, no.

Do I consider myself the good in a fight because of my size? No, I have had my *** handed to me by a Cpl who is much smaller than me, but he also has been training in martial arts for most his life. I have been around long enough to know that size can mean very little in a fight. Knowing what you are doing is much more important.

Only thing that size brings to a fight, is the "oh ****" factor. Most people are much more wary of a person who is bigger than them, than someone who is smaller. Being the size I am, I have been able to quite a situation by my mere presence where a smaller officer could not.

As he said, you need to know HOW to fight and that is more important than size, but it only helps to have size behind you as well. Plus, as far as fighting goes, they will also teach you some techniques in CRDT. Being big has its advantages, and if you take care of yourself and prepare physically it doesnt have too many disadvantages. As far as running and stuff goes, whatever you need to do to make sure you dont wind when you'll be on your feet for hrs at a time, walking stairs, possible altercations, etc. Besides, as much as you need to know how to handle yourself in case of an altercation, ive been told by many with years and years experience that the best thing is knowing how to talk down a possible situation...your in there with 100 inmates, it doesnt matter how tough you are, 100 to 1 isnt exactly the best of odds.
                Last edited by dharley150; 09-20-2008, 05:03 PM.

Comment

my sentiments exactly in relation to talking a inmate down ie..IPC skills or verbal judo is your best defense and will defuse most situations before they escolate.

Comment

dharley you are absolutely right. I chose my wording wrong when i said size means nothing. That extra weight certainly can come in handy at times. What I meant was for people to focus on strength training instead of the theory that if you look like a body builder your "tough".

Comment

dharley you are absolutely right. I chose my wording wrong when i said size means nothing. That extra weight certainly can come in handy at times. What I meant was for people to focus on strength training instead of the theory that if you look like a body builder your "tough".
                      EXACTLY...as i said i know how to take care of myself in an altercation, as well as being smart enough to try and avoid one. A couple of guys that were in my orientation class were "Gung Ho" to say the least, and theyre gonna learn quickly this is not the place to portray a tough guy. They may feel that way because they "look" that way, but for theyre sake i hope they have the brains to go with it, and the toughness to back it up...

Comment

i have been working out since the spring and lost about 25 pounds. the workout will increase strength but is primarily for cutting and muscle definition. which was fine before, because i was doing telephone and IT work.

but since i should be starting in a few weeks i am switching to a different program. its called starting strength, Ripptoes, 5x5.... its supposed to be a great program for starting out and for bulking for beginners and intermediate lifters.

i want to put on some lean muscle mass but i still plan in running on my treadmill 3 to 4 days a week.

thanks

Comment

HAHAHA I love listening to "New Jacks" talk back and forth.
                          Commit, Go Hard and Dominate!!!

Comment

hey dharley and zmurphy got my call from tci today. packet will be sent out hope things move quickly after that

Comment

Good luck man!!, hopefully it goes quickly for ya...

Comment

Originally posted by zilla View Post
                                hey dharley and zmurphy got my call from tci today. packet will be sent out hope things move quickly after that
                                congrats man, hey i wanted to let you know. i did my physical and psych this week. i called the Western region personnel office on Friday to make sure they recieved my TB test results. while i had them on the phone i asked now that everything is complete (and providing my psych is ok) when would i hear something about starting. the lday told me that they now have a 14 day delay on hiring CO's.

she said it was a hiring slowdown not a hiring freeze. i don't know if they are doing this to help fill positions at TCI or if they state budget is hurting like everyone else is.

good luck, keep us posted and i will let you know how long it takes for me to hear something.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4689 users online. 285 members and 4404 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X