300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical for NC DOC

Hey guys, got the offer of employment from Tabor Correctional last week, and got my packet in the mail for the Psych Evals, etc. this coming Teusday. I have to go in Monday to have a physical as i cant remember the last time i had one, and i have a few concerns about what they may find when/if they look into my medical history. Nothing serious, but the last time i went to the doctor was in 06', where they did some xrays to check on a long time back problem. I have osteo-arthritis, osteophytes and disk degeneration...well, the disks werent rubbing yet, but the cartilage was crumbling. Im going for a MRI the 17th as my trainer has told me it sounds like my sciatica as well, so we'll see where that goes.

Anyways, ive been told by friends in LE to not say anything about it when going for a job. In the packet is a medical history statement that asks "do you have any of the following"...first thought is of course to not put anything down so it doesnt effect my chances, but then i started thinking if theyre going to pull my medical records from my doctor, theyre going to see it anyways, so is it wrong to not say anything?? Basically i'd be lying by saying everything was fine, and if it comes up somewhere on the spot i want to know how i should go about dealing with it. Any advice is greatly appreciated..thx guys

Pleading the 5th towards the actions you're considering, but I'll say that unless there is a consent form that you must sign for them to obtain your medical history then they can't by law. Ya know Dr./ patient confidentiality so no worry there but the main reason for doing what they're doing is just not only to weed out people with health issue's but it's to CTOA ( Cover Thier Own A**'es) but you have to ask yourself. Can I make it through the training, can I work outside in all kinds of crap weather, and can I handle a scuffle with a 300lb man and not have my condition be the reason I might get put in a hospital. Do this then do that.
    The 2 nevers (1) Never try to intimidate me, (2) Never try to impress me. Also the 3 steps of compliance (1) Ask , (2) Tell , (3) Pain.

Comment

Originally posted by dharley150 View Post
      Hey guys, got the offer of employment from Tabor Correctional last week, and got my packet in the mail for the Psych Evals, etc. this coming Teusday. I have to go in Monday to have a physical as i cant remember the last time i had one, and i have a few concerns about what they may find when/if they look into my medical history. Nothing serious, but the last time i went to the doctor was in 06', where they did some xrays to check on a long time back problem. I have osteo-arthritis, osteophytes and disk degeneration...well, the disks werent rubbing yet, but the cartilage was crumbling. Im going for a MRI the 17th as my trainer has told me it sounds like my sciatica as well, so we'll see where that goes.

Anyways, ive been told by friends in LE to not say anything about it when going for a job. In the packet is a medical history statement that asks "do you have any of the following"...first thought is of course to not put anything down so it doesnt effect my chances, but then i started thinking if theyre going to pull my medical records from my doctor, theyre going to see it anyways, so is it wrong to not say anything?? Basically i'd be lying by saying everything was fine, and if it comes up somewhere on the spot i want to know how i should go about dealing with it. Any advice is greatly appreciated..thx guys
      Provide honest information. It could & will save you many headaches in the long run. If you interviewed then you've already signed a list of essential job functions.

As for Tabor, be very prepared for chaos. The opening of a new facility is a truly unique exprience that lends some one of a kind training. Also be prepared to work very short staffed there. The remote and rural location of that prison will prove to be a great hindrance in the recruitment and retention of staff. The Division very well knows this when they build those prisons in locations like that but most of the time there is a need and folks are practically throwing the land at them with the local governments begging them to build for job creation.

Good luck to you!

Comment

why can't ohio be the same way as this, ohioans would beg for the chance to work there hehe oh well hate to start a rant

Comment

Originally posted by prine View Post
          but you have to ask yourself. Can I make it through the training, can I work outside in all kinds of crap weather, and can I handle a scuffle with a 300lb man and not have my condition be the reason I might get put in a hospital. Do this then do that.
          Well the good thing is i have those couple of ends tied. Ive been a contractor for the last 13 years (mason by trade) and now own the business my father started in 62'. He was an ol' timer, so i was raised that making a living comes first and there is no such thing as time off; with bad back and all ive missed 7 days in 13 years, not counting the birth of my children etc. So the weather and stress of the job wont bother me. As for the scuffles.... I myself am 6'4", 340lbs....last time i benched was about 6 months ago and it was 480. I also know how to handle myself and im one of those people that when the adrenaline gets going, there is no pain , so im good to go as far as thats concerned.

The thing is ive never worked for anyone other than my father or myself, so i didnt even think of patient/doctor confidentiality and the fact that they couldnt pull them by law. That makes it a bit easier then, because i know it wont hinder my ability to do the job. As you said DOP, ive already signed off on job functions when i interviewed, so its not a matter of if it will effect my performance, just whether or not THEY would not give me a chance to work based on what the file says, not what i can handle. One thing i told myself when deciding to take the step into LE is that if my back did get bad enough to where i couldnt do my job correctly, thus putting my fellow officers lives at stake, i would stop right then and there.

Anyways, thanks for the input guys. Im hoping to start very soon as im really looking forward to seeing how things work and if its anything like what i think it is. I do have some more questions but i want to make sure im not missing the answers already, so im sure ill be talking to yopu guys more in the near future!!

Comment

dharley150, whats your status? how did your physical go?

Comment

everything went through fine brother...i actually just finished orientation yesterday with the wonderful experience of O.C. Spray, and my "first day" is tom night...very excited!!

Comment

Originally posted by dharley150 View Post
                everything went through fine brother...i actually just finished orientation yesterday with the wonderful experience of O.C. Spray, and my "first day" is tom night...very excited!!
                i assume that was your first week, on what day did you do the OC
                (1st, 2nd ..day)?

i am taking my physical on 9/22 and psych test on 9/23. they said it would be 4 to 6 weeks after the psych before i would start.

what was your time line after your physical and psych?

thanks, be safe

Comment

Anything I can do to help you guys, let me know. TCI is in my jurisdiction. Good Luck.
                  "Silence! I Kill You!"

Comment

Originally posted by NCBRASS View Post
                    Anything I can do to help you guys, let me know. TCI is in my jurisdiction. Good Luck.
                    Thanks NCBRASS...i know im very excited as this is my start to what i hope is a long career in LE.

Murphy, orientation started on Mon, we had to do 44 hrs which included the 2 hrs on Fri which is when we got sprayed. When i took the psych test, i called them after 7 days to speak with admin in McCain, and he had just gotten off the phone with TCI. He said they would be calling and the next day they did, and the start date they gave me was 2 weeks after that. So im thinking 4-6 wks from the date of the psych test may be a bit long, but who knows. I do know that we are short staffed at TCI, espec on the seg units which is where im at, so again i would think they would want to get more COs in soon, but....

Comment

interview

hey dharley and zmurphy, how long after interview does it take for next process i have interview on wed. at tci and thurs at columbus thanks zilla

ps, good to hear things are going well for you guys

Comment

Zilla, when i went to the interview at TCI they told me i would hear in 2-4 wks, and it was 15 days for the conditional offer of employment. My date for the psych test was like 2 or 3 wks after that, then it was another 8 days that i got the final offer from TCI. I started Orientation 18 days after that. The interview was 2 wks into the process for me (at the beginning), so based on my process you would have another 8 wks or so until you started, but thats just me....you very well could get through quicker though, espec seeing as we're under staffed right now. We're getting 50-70 inmates in a wk and theyre not gonna stop, so you may get poulled through fast. Good Luck...

Comment

Originally posted by zilla View Post
                          hey dharley and zmurphy, how long after interview does it take for next process
                          i am in the Piedmont region. i got a call for an interview at Alexander CI 2 weeks after my COVT. 3 days after my interview they called and made a conditional offer. but they said that the openings would be a few weeks down the road, due to some CO's scheduled to transfer out. well it was almost 5 weeks later (last week) when they called for me to come in for some paperwork and physical. i will take my physical next Monday and psych on Tuesday.

according to the lady i spoke with, it could be another 4 to 6 weeks after the psych before i start.

i really hope its not that long. i believe the reason its been a such a slow thing for me, is because Alexander CI was planning for a few positions coming open and they wanted to have people ready to work. that way they wouldn't be so short handed with those CO's leaving.

but since your applying at TCI, i would think it would be a much faster process. i am sure they need to get alot CO's , like NOW, since its offically open for business.

good luck, keep us updated.

Comment

NC DOC does nothing fast. It's a process, hang in there.

Comment

We are short staffed right now, but at the same time because there are only so many inmates people are moving around alot. 3 of our 6 Reg Seg units are closed as we only had one inmate Mon morning which is when i got off shift, and they had officers going down to help out general pop where evryone was. MCON was also shut down, but one of our 2 inmates in ICON decided that since the guy in the toilet wouldnt stop talking to him, he was gonna act up and they finally moved him to MCON so they had to open it back up...my first night went by quick to say the least!

Another thing which may help you get in quicker also is that there are only so many COs that are certified...prob half the staff hasnt been to training yet, and while the ranking positions are held mostly by guys with 15+ years experience, alot of COs are brand new to corrections. So while i was told there was gonna be a hiring freeze, my Sgt. told me they are gonna push the process as they need as many as possible so they can send more off to training.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5536 users online. 288 members and 5248 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X