300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Mixed Martial Arts to learn for job

I am learning that the DT in the Academy will not suffice. I want to take up some form of martial arts. I have no previous experience and want to learn a martial arts that would best suit the job. I have heard Judo. Any suggestions?

Judo is good as well as Aikido (but not the flashy dancy stuff)!!!! I have trained in Judo, Aikijujutsu and Aikido and find it is very very helpful for work!!!! But Aikido takes a while to become effective, if you have a good instructor. Check out schools and see what looks good to you!!!!
    Your Gauging Intelligence From An Ignorant Scale

Comment

I do Krav Maga and although it is not as flashy as some of the others, it is extremely effective. There are many LEO/Military specific classes that teach skills specific to that.

Comment

Have always been a big fan of Ju Jitsu...I hear Krav Maga is great too.
        "When I came home, people often asked me about Iraq, and mostly I told them it wasn't so bad. I didn't know how to explain myself to them. The war really wasn't so bad. Yes, there were bombs and shootings and nervous times, but that was just the job. In fact, going to war is rather easy. You react to situations around you and try not to die. There are no electric bills or car payments or chores around the house. Just go to work, come home alive, and do it again tomorrow." - Brian Mockenhaupt

Comment

I have taken various martial arts: Judo, Aikido, Hapkido, Brazilian Jujitsu, and kick boxing.

For our line of work I would defintely go with Judo for several reasons.

1) Promotes good balance (teaches you to stay on your feet)
          2) Ends confrontations quickly (Throwing someone on the ground will usually do that
          3) The public usually sees punches/kicks as more violent than foot sweep/throws
          4) Risk of bodily fluid transfer (mixing of blood) is low
          5) Grappling is also learned in Judo
          6) Reduction of injuries due to falling (falling properly is the first thing you learn in judo)

There are some negatives:
          1) Sport based (you just have to learn how to modify throws/sweeps for the street)
          2) Hard on the body (getting thrown 100+ times in a class in not uncommon)
          3) Striking is not taught at all
          4) Not as a complete ground fighting system as Brazilian Jujitsu

I've been in many fights on the job and I have found Judo to be the most effective. BJJ (brazilian jujistu) is great for a one on one fight taking place on a soft surface in the middle of a cage, but how often does that happen? If you can, try to get into a mixed martial arts school. Failing that, I would go Judo.

Good Luck

Comment

Last edited by kruwl; 04-12-2010, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I may be a little biased currently being a Krav Maga instructor, but for law

enforcement I would strongly suggest taking Krav Maga. I have taken several

martial arts and have accumulated a few black belts (and higher) so I have a

few things I can personally compare it to. The nice thing about Krav Maga is

that it is all based on fighting and doing it as practically and as quickly as

possible. Unlike other martial arts, that encourage flexibility timing and a

great deal of coordination (all of which can be greatly hindered by a duty belt

and what ever body armor you would be wearing), krav maga can be done

very effectively in any clothing or physical conditioning state. Next, of all the

styles I have taken krav maga is the only one that I believe that teaches

techniques that adequately deal with weapon defense and address them

frequently enough to be used for law enforcement. Most krav maga school

also have a much quicker learning curve as apposed to traditional martial arts

schools. This is accomplished because there is a lot less formality to be learn,

(being that most krav maga classes are much less formal) also there is usually

not a set curriculum that you are stuck learning until you progress to the next

belt. Krav maga also deals with multiple attackers frequently and often deals

with a great number of attackers where most martial arts stop with two

attackers and only start training with two or more attackers at very advanced

rank (commonly black belt and higher). You can spend many years taking a

martial art of your choice to attain the same level of competency in a fight

that you would be able to achieve in months of dedicated krav maga practice.

This is because as I said previously krav maga only deals with fighting, that is

the only aspect it focuses on, and it does this as quickly and as efficiently as

possible (as there are no rules in krav maga many techniques that are taught

would be considered dishonorable in my martial art styles). All of what I have

mentioned is why I believe for law enforcement krav maga is by far the best

choice. Now that being said any martial art will help significantly, the key is

very frequent practice. They all have their upsides and downsides, but all will

teach you to move and think better and more calmly in a physical altercation.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6772 users online. 365 members and 6407 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X