Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting over the 5 foot wall

Hello,

I've been practicing the suspect chase portion of the application process. Ours is a 5 foot wall, a 3 foot wall, sprint, clear a window, sprint back. I'm good on everything except the 5 foot wall. I can get over it, but it's not pretty and it's not time-effective. my right inner thigh and right forearm are covered in bruises from savaging my way over.

I'm 40, female, and in pretty good condition (300# deadlift, 250# squat in competition) but cannot do a bodyweight pullup without assistance. I'm working on losing some more weight but in the meantime...any suggestions on getting over that wall quickly?!

I'm sitting the Aptitude Test tomorrow morning and after that should know more about the timeline for when I'll need to run the suspect chase.

thanks!!
    Application DONE
    Aptitude Test PASS
    Typing Test PASS
    First Contact Interview 8/6 DONE
    Agility Test 8/13 PASS
    Polygraph 8/13 PASS
    Background--ongoing
    Oral Board Interview 8/26
    Command Staff Interview
    Psych Exam
    Physical
    Cooper's Run

Originally posted by michelleds View Post
    I'm 40, female, and in pretty good condition (300# deadlift, 250# squat in competition) but cannot do a bodyweight pullup without assistance.
    Good Lord, how about going straight through the wall? All kidding aside, what's your current technique for scaling the wall? If it's getting one of your arms hooked over the top of the wall at the armpit, swinging and hooking the corresponding heel over the wall, then rolling over the top of the wall, that's about as good as it gets for female lacking in the upper body strength department.

BTW, a five foot wall sounds like a pretty good deal, six foot is standard in CA.
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

I would MUCH rather go thru than over. LOL what you described is pretty much it altho i get my foot hooked first. I've been looking at the Parkour site and the "wallrun". it looks like if i could master that technique, i'd be golden. it requires planting one foot high, which i do now, and then following thru with the second a little higher which gives further momentum and boost up and over.
      Application DONE
      Aptitude Test PASS
      Typing Test PASS
      Agility Test 8/13 PASS
      Polygraph 8/13 PASS
      Background--ongoing
      Command Staff Interview
      Psych Exam
      Physical
      Cooper's Run

Comment

The technique used would depend on your height. Obviously the taller you are the better but I find it easiest to scale walls by jumping and pushing my body up until my waist is even with the top of the fence then throwing my leg over.

Comment

Watch this video. Its an overview of the SDPD PAT and at the end it goes over a few techniques for getting over a 6 foot wall. Hope this helps

mms://videos.sandiego.gov/vod/course.wm

(if that link doesnt pop up a video, its also on this page: http://www.sandiego.gov/police/recru...n/recpat.shtml)

Comment

thanks everyone! I passed! 42.72 seconds (less than 47 to pass)
            Application DONE
            Aptitude Test PASS
            Typing Test PASS
            Agility Test 8/13 PASS
            Polygraph 8/13 PASS
            Background--ongoing
            Command Staff Interview
            Psych Exam
            Physical
            Cooper's Run

Comment

Congrats. No sweat.
              ...but to live outside the law, you must be honest. -Bob Dylan

Comment

Our wall in the academy was 8 feet. A 5 foot wall should be a breeze. What's next, stepping over a stool?
                The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

Originally posted by CPD7297 View Post
                  Our wall in the academy was 8 feet. A 5 foot wall should be a breeze. What's next, stepping over a stool?
                  LOL good point, if your bigger than 5' then i cannot see a problem. Best i can say (even though i know you already passed) is running at the wall and planting a foot in the middle whilst springing upward for clearance.

Comment

Michelleds, have you been accepted into the academy yet? Hopefully I'll be joining you in January.

Comment

Wow, mine is a breeze then... Ours consists of:

3 minute step test, minute later your heart rate must be less than 148 beats per minutes
                      20 sit-ups
                      1.5 mile run in 16:32
                      Benchpress 44% of weight
                      14 push ups
                      300 meter sprint in 84 seconds
                      Vertical jump of 12 inches
                      Pull trigger 36 times with strong hand and 13 with weak
                      Waiting for openings with:
                      Amtrak PD
                      City of Fairfax PD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5658 users online. 340 members and 5318 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X