Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rough day on FTO, does everyone have these from time to time?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splinterhands
    replied
    About my third week actually driving, I went to backup another officer on a routine traffic stop. I was worried about leaving the back of my car on the road behind me so I tried to "ease" up really close to the police car in front of me. I "eased" a little too close and bumped the car in front of me. My FTO cussed a little and made me ride for a few days but other than that everyone was pretty cool about it. It REALLY, REALLY sucked because I was fresh out of the academy and wanted to make a good impression.

Leave a comment:

• MarineVet89
    replied
    Originally posted by barkalot View Post
    When I was a reserve I had an FTO who used to have me stop the patrol car in the middle of a long block and ask, "Where are we right now?"

If I didn't know the answer, I had to get out and walk back to he intersection to read the signs.
    That is a good training tool in my opinion. You have to always know where you're at. If you're in the middle of a long block and need to call for cover you better know. I'm willing to bet that is a method used by tons of FTOs.

Leave a comment:

• Dracop
    replied
    As you can tell by all the posts here, EVERYONE has one of those days or nights..Let it go, learn from it and move on..

Leave a comment:

• chiefcop
    replied
    Bad days will not go away.....they will increase with the longevity in the profession...it is some theorim or something..

Seriously, a lot of good support out here and great posts. All I can say is read these posts and take something home from each one. Also remember to laugh.

Life is tough, and in this business you will find it a bit tougher. But live and learn...

Leave a comment:

• barkalot
    replied
    When I was a reserve I had an FTO who used to have me stop the patrol car in the middle of a long block and ask, "Where are we right now?"

If I didn't know the answer, I had to get out and walk back to he intersection to read the signs.

Leave a comment:

• CountryboyNC
    replied
    dont let it get to ya man....i mess up so does every other person here. just the other day i messed up a felony screening packet and my LT caught it....its all good man, just learn from it and drive on.

Leave a comment:

• Eric_C
    replied
    Just to clear up some confusion I didn't really mean "comfortable" like I know what I am doing more like I am not a nervous wreck out there...

Leave a comment:

• creolecop
    replied
    You should be getting more comfortable doing your job, thats confidence in yourself to be able to handle the next call. Thats what FTO is for you to gain the confidence in yourself as well as your FTO that you can handle the calls that are sent to you.

I know what you meant by comfortable, comfortable doesn't have to mean complaicent (sp) it means comfortable in feeling like you will be able to apply the law and and cross your I's and dot your T's on a call and paperwork. Your starting to get a hang of the job, when 3 weeks ago, you felt like a flopping fish out of water, your now getting more comfortable in the water. Just know you will still screw up from time to time. As for getting lost, you will do that for the first year to 2 years depending on the size of your jurisdiction. We all have brain farts on streets we've been on a million times. I sometimes can picture the street sign but can't place it at a darn location. Usually instead of punching crap in the computer I just ask dispatch for a cross street and that jogs my memory.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    Originally posted by "Louie" View Post
    Buddy of mine was on his 3rd week. FTO was a real ballbuster. FTO pulled up to McDonalds and told him to run inside and get an application...doh!!
    The worst one that I've 'heard' of was a very POed FTO that had his trainee give him his gun/badge, and then put him in an empty booking cell......

The FTO handed the trainee a booking slip and told him to fill it out....because I'm 'arresting you for impersonating a peace officer'.....

I'm pretty sure that would be considered hazing nowadays.....

Leave a comment:

• "Louie"
    replied
    Buddy of mine was on his 3rd week. FTO was a real ballbuster. FTO pulled up to McDonalds and told him to run inside and get an application...doh!!

Leave a comment:

• ArkansasFan24
    replied
    Everyone has a bad day. Big deal. Don't sweat it or brow beat yourself. I got to work at 8:00, it's 9:04, and I'm already wanting to go back home. Some days are just bummers.

Leave a comment:

• StudChris
    replied
    Those days happen from time to time no matter how long you're on the job. We've all had those days where we're day dreaming and all of a sudden we have no clue where we are.

Leave a comment:

• ChgoPaintball
    replied
    First, you should never have gotten comfortable. I still have my heart racing the moment roll call is over with.

So you made a few mistakes. Happens to everyone. We are human.

There is always something wrong with my report. Just the other day had a retail theft report. Was approved by all my supervisors. Only one didnt like 1 thing because it was missing. Kicked it back to me. It happens.

Getting lost isnt a big deal for minor calls. Learn from them. Now if it was something hot or an officer down, thats a different story. What I like to do, even on some hot calls, take the 10 secs to look at your map, see where you need to go and then drive. Better to use those 10 secs to have an idea where you need to go, then go "WHERE THE HELL IS IT" and waste a minute.

Take it one day at a time. Tomorrow is a fresh start and a clean slate.

Leave a comment:

• LA DEP
    replied
    You are FAR too early in your training to be 'comfortable'......

That being said, you made a mistake.....learn from it, and move on.....dont beat yourself to death over it either......

As others have said, HAVE FUN!!! Remember, they actually PAY US to go 10-8 and 'do the Lord's work'

Leave a comment:

• L223
    replied
    +1

Taking all things into consideration law enforcement would be a truly miserable job if we didnt have fun doing it.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3613 users online. 244 members and 3369 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X