Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rough day on FTO, does everyone have these from time to time?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rough day on FTO, does everyone have these from time to time?

I'm in my 3rd week and I was just starting to feel comfortable out there. Then I screwed up a report, cut some car off real bad and got lost all the same night.

I just feel like crap. Is it common just to have crap days?

only if your human
    "Friendly Fire, isn't"

Comment

Of course it happens. Dont let it effect tommorrow though.
      Chris

Comment

I've had crap days. Just learn from the mistakes and don't let it get to you. Come back the next day and do better.
        ... I shall not be afraid of the terror by night or the arrow that flies by day ..."

Comment

As long as you learn from your mistakes its fine. You will have more f'ed up days both in FTO and when you are cut loose.

Comment

I call them Brain farts. I got a call a while back to a street I've been to a million times. I get dispatched with my Corporal, who was my FTO when I started here several years ago, and I look at him and say "where the F*&% is ____street". He looks at me and says are ya kidding me? I proceed to pull my head out of my a55 and remember where it's at. Funny thing is, the CPL has brain farts from time to time, as does the SGT, and LT. Heck we all have bad days and brain farts.

Comment

Don't worry. Doing stupid things and making mistakes on the job will only last about 25-30 years.

Unless you get bars on your collar someday. Then your instantly perfect!
              Be professional
              Be polite
              Be ready to kill everyone you meet

Comment

Here is where you made your first mistake:
                I was just starting to feel comfortable out there.
                You should never "feel" comfortable out there but especially in your 3rd week of FTO. Just my opinion.

Comfortable = relaxed, relaxed = you're not paying attention. Just be glad you cut off a car and didn't miss a knife or gun.

Stay on your toes for the next 30 years and you should be okay.
                "I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass -- and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Comment

Comfortable???? I didn't feel comfortable for at least 4 years!!!!

Yes you will have good and bad days. The key is to always learn...learn from your mistakes. The day you stop learning is the day to turn in your badge.

Stay safe.
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Cops screw up all the time, we're human man.... Don't get down on yourself it happens, sounds like you made some regular, everyday mistakes that cops everywhere make. Just do your best on FTO and don't sweat the small stuff, you'll be just fine. Like I said cops screw up everyday, the difference with you is someone is watching over your shoulder...Some other guy on your dept might have done the same thing, just no one there to hound him.

Keep your head on and keep digging, you'll be fine!

Comment

If you're not screwing up in FTO there is something seriously wrong with you!

Keep your head up, learn from your mistakes, and don't let your mistakes distract you!

But most of all..............

HAVE FUN!

Comment

+1

Taking all things into consideration law enforcement would be a truly miserable job if we didnt have fun doing it.

Comment

You are FAR too early in your training to be 'comfortable'......

That being said, you made a mistake.....learn from it, and move on.....dont beat yourself to death over it either......

As others have said, HAVE FUN!!! Remember, they actually PAY US to go 10-8 and 'do the Lord's work'
                          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

First, you should never have gotten comfortable. I still have my heart racing the moment roll call is over with.

So you made a few mistakes. Happens to everyone. We are human.

There is always something wrong with my report. Just the other day had a retail theft report. Was approved by all my supervisors. Only one didnt like 1 thing because it was missing. Kicked it back to me. It happens.

Getting lost isnt a big deal for minor calls. Learn from them. Now if it was something hot or an officer down, thats a different story. What I like to do, even on some hot calls, take the 10 secs to look at your map, see where you need to go and then drive. Better to use those 10 secs to have an idea where you need to go, then go "WHERE THE HELL IS IT" and waste a minute.

Take it one day at a time. Tomorrow is a fresh start and a clean slate.

Comment

Those days happen from time to time no matter how long you're on the job. We've all had those days where we're day dreaming and all of a sudden we have no clue where we are.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6551 users online. 355 members and 6196 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X