300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACADEMY for women?

I am a 28 year old female...i am not super fit but i have a pretty good stamina because I love to do cardio excercises (recreationally). I want to know more of what is expected by female recruits in the academy...are they the same as men?(specifically the upper body excercises such as pull ups and push-ups). I am waiting on my hire date and would love to prepare in the mean time.

Any advice from female and male recruits would be much appreciated!

Just completed Academy

I attended an Academy in Northern CA, and graduated in May. Physical requirements were no different for male vs females. I was the oldest guy in the class (52), and on the 5 mile runs, I always ended up in the back, keeping pace with our one female. Everyone did Defensive-Tactics, 6 foot solid wall, 6 foot chain link fence, obsticale course, dummy drag, 500 yard "dash" and 5 mile run.

Comment

I don't believe the Tennessee POST commission sets any different standards for men and women. They do have decreasing physical standards depending on how old you are. You fall in the first age standard bracket of 20-29 years of age. Once you pass 30 the standards begin to decrease in more 10 year brackets. So, you would be expected to live up to the standards of a 20 year old recruit. Having good stamina in the academy is crucial. If you are doing cardio workouts now, keep that up. The other huge factor is upper body strength. You want to have sufficient upper body strength to be able to pull yourself over walls and drag that heavy dummy in the obstacle course. You will get more than your fair share of pushups in the academy, but it's always wise to get a head start on those before that.

Comment

My advice to you is get in the best physical condition you can and don't worry about the two different standards. Because when you hit the street, some big bad *** dude, could care less if hit hits a female or male officer. And if you're not (still) in good shape, hold on to your gun. Get in shape and stay in shape PERIOD! I see far too many short/round/fat out of shape officers today it's embarrassing.
        The views/opinions expressed here are solely mine. I'm retired and I don't care. I truly do not want to offend anyone, but if you are thin skinned and have no sense of humor, you better find another line of work. Therefore, I don't have to be politically correct and I will exercise my freedom of speech, until it's taken away. May God bless all retirees. We've done our duty and earned our peace.

Comment

The entrance/exit fitness standards (in NH) are different, but you're expected to perform the same exercises/drills/etc as everyone else.
          summer - winter - work

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5606 users online. 311 members and 5295 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X