300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What gun do you use as a back up?

I am in the process of looking for a backup weapon and am having a hardtime deciding on what to get. I am seriously considering the springfield XD. What do you guys carry as a back up. Just trying to get some ideals on what others carry. Thanks for any help
    "If you are a Warrior Legally Authorized To Carry A Weapon And You Step Outside Without A Weapon, Then You Become A Sheep, Pretending That The Bad Man Will Not Come Today. No One Can Be On 24/7 For A Lifetime. Everyone Needs Down Time. But If You Are Authorized To Carry A Weapon, And You Step Outside Without It, Just Take A Deep Breath And Say This To Youself...'baaa'"

***lt. Col. Dave Grossman***

S&w 340pd.

Comment

2" SW 38 revolver......

Our weapons training guys pretty much say to stay away from any semi-auto handgun as a back-up....unless you dont have a choice.....
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

REally? Why is that if you don't mind me asking?
        "If you are a Warrior Legally Authorized To Carry A Weapon And You Step Outside Without A Weapon, Then You Become A Sheep, Pretending That The Bad Man Will Not Come Today. No One Can Be On 24/7 For A Lifetime. Everyone Needs Down Time. But If You Are Authorized To Carry A Weapon, And You Step Outside Without It, Just Take A Deep Breath And Say This To Youself...'baaa'"

Comment

Originally posted by LoKii View Post
          REally? Why is that if you don't mind me asking?
          Partly because alot of cops are not the best at weapon maintenance.....you can not clean or lube a revolver....leave it in a pocket holster for months, gathering lint and other crap.....and it will still function almost 100% of the time......

If you do that to most semi autos, (esp. the not lubing part) you will (probably) get one round out of it, before it chokes and has a failure of one sort or another......

Most of the situations that you would run into where you have the need to go to the BUG will be at close range (fighting over your primary, in a fight and unable to reach your primary ect), and the natural inclination will be to jam the weapon in somewhere on the suspects body and pull the trigger several times......

A revolver will function under that instance.....you MAY push a semi auto out 'of battery' though......

also....something else to carry as another back up weapon (if you can by policy) is a good short bladed knife, such as the K-Bar TDK.......

Whatever you choose for your BUG.....make sure you PRACTICE with it.....and not just firing at paper targets.....go somewhere where you can practice getting it out and deployed while laying on your back ect......like you where in a fight......
          The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Hey thanks for the tips, it all makes perfect sense and is making me consider getting a revover instead of a semiauto.

Comment

Glock 26.

I take care of my weapons and the Glock is very durable. I have carried the same Glock 26 on my ankle for 6 years now and have yet to have a malfunction. (Knock on wood)
              "Freedom's Never Free"

"Go ahead. Skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens."

Comment

Kahr PM9....
                Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Thanks for all the tips so far. I am torn between going with a semi auto and a revolver. I am going to talk to my firearms staff tomrrow and ask what they recommend. Thanks again and keep on sharing what you carry. I appreciate all the help I can get

Comment

I had a partner who during a fight for a gun shoved his semi-auto into the guys belly and pulled the trigger, nothing happened. He had pushed it out of battery. He had to back off and do it again. Your BUG should be reliable no matter the situation, no matter the abuse. Your most likely not going to get into a prolonged shoot out with your BUG, where the semi-auto has the advantage of higher capacity. Your BUG should be a point and click weapon.

I carry a S&W model 38. Airweight .38 revolver with a shrouded hammer. It's light and all rounded corners, so it won't get hung up on anything. Drawing your BUG is not like pulling from a holster on your hip.
                    Today's Quote:

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                    Albert Einstein

Comment

s&w aorweight .38

Comment

Wow this thread couldn't come at a better time.

I'll be getting a bg too and am wondering too what type to get.

I'm seriously thinking about a revolver now.

Comment

Originally posted by Seamonkey6 View Post
                          Glock 26.
                          I take care of my weapons and the Glock is very durable.
                          +1
                          The views, comments, and opinions posted above represent soley the views, comments, and opinions of myself alone, and to my knowledge do not represent the views, comments, and opinions of anyone else or my employer.

Comment

I had a S&W 642 as a BUG/Off Duty however, I sold it around the time of that Ogden, UT mall shooting because it only had 5 rounds and the trigger was very heavy.

I have since purchased a Glock 27 (.40) and am quite happy. My primary is the Glock 35 so now those mags will work in the 27 if I need them. Although, I am sad that I had to sell a gun! If I had to do it all over again, I would carry both. :-) The 642 in my front pocket and the G27 on my ankle.
                            "If it's predictable, it's preventable"

Comment

Glock 27 .40 cal since I carry a 40 cal on my hip, if I lose my primary weapon and I am out of ammo on my BUG then I can use the same Mags from my primary on my belt.
                              DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5904 users online. 331 members and 5573 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X