300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on picking a good flashlight

So I am currently in a police academy and we will soon need our flashlights. The problem is I have no ideal what flashlight to get. Can you all recommend some good lights and where I would be able to order them from? I have looked at some, but don't really know what is good or bad, so if any of the seasoned guys could recommend something I would appreciate it. Thanks
    "If you are a Warrior Legally Authorized To Carry A Weapon And You Step Outside Without A Weapon, Then You Become A Sheep, Pretending That The Bad Man Will Not Come Today. No One Can Be On 24/7 For A Lifetime. Everyone Needs Down Time. But If You Are Authorized To Carry A Weapon, And You Step Outside Without It, Just Take A Deep Breath And Say This To Youself...'baaa'"

***lt. Col. Dave Grossman***

Surefire makes an excellent flashlight, you can buy them pretty much anywhere now. If you get the batteries they offer, be much cheaper than buying them two at a time from the local stores.

Comment

Stinger

I have a Streamlight Stinger. I love it. I have found that it is comparable to a MagLight as far as light intensity and it is small enough that I can comfortably carry it on my belt daily.

Comment

I think the galls website has a customer reviews section for each product so you could see what ppl have said about flashlights they've purchased from there.

I use the issued Pelican 7060 LED which is bright, but not without fault. Several of us have had minor issues with the dual switch system (you can hit the traditional button on the side of the light or the button on the end of the light to activate it) where sometimes one of the switches won't work until you click the other switch.

Oh, and it's not a nice hefty metal flashlight that can be used in exigent circumstances.

Comment

Is this the streamlight stinger led you have? here is the link to it http://www.officerstore.com/store/ca...0_stinger_led/

I really do not know what to get! I just want a dependable flash light that can take a beating if need be.
          "If you are a Warrior Legally Authorized To Carry A Weapon And You Step Outside Without A Weapon, Then You Become A Sheep, Pretending That The Bad Man Will Not Come Today. No One Can Be On 24/7 For A Lifetime. Everyone Needs Down Time. But If You Are Authorized To Carry A Weapon, And You Step Outside Without It, Just Take A Deep Breath And Say This To Youself...'baaa'"

***lt. Col. Dave Grossman***

Comment

i dont leave the house without my pelican 7060

Comment

I have the Streamlight Stinger LED Dual Switch. Very durable It has a button on the end of the shaft and on the side towards the front. With not knowing how you will hold the light while shooting your firearm, this might be beneficial.

Comment

I would hold off until you get some guidence from an instructor or range staff. You obviously dont want a 3 cell Mag-Light for tactical range situations.

They might also not want an "end cap" switch...or they might prefer it.

Either way I recommend keeping atleast 2 flashlights with you. Even during the academy. One of your classmates are bound to forget there's and it's always nice to make sure your classmates are equipped.

With that being said the two lights I currently have are a Streamlight Stinger (Poly not metal) and I recently bought a Surefire 6P Defender which I also got the LED conversion for.

Both take up very little space on my belt, are more then bright enough, and work rather well. More then once I've had my Stinger die as I'm not OCD about charging it and had to grab the "back up" light quickly. Keep two with you.

Comment

Originally posted by LoKii View Post
                  So I am currently in a police academy and we will soon need our flashlights. The problem is I have no ideal what flashlight to get. Can you all recommend some good lights and where I would be able to order them from? I have looked at some, but don't really know what is good or bad, so if any of the seasoned guys could recommend something I would appreciate it. Thanks

Anything made by Streamlight is good. I've used Stingers, TLR-1 tac lights, Strions, and the "big ones." I never had any problems with any of them. Surefire also makes good lights, but they don't burn very long.

Comment

I have the Streamligh Stinger as well and find it works really well for me - or at least as much as possible during the training scenarios while I'm at Academy. Another one that several of my classmates have and that gets really high recommendations from the firearms instructors is the "G2" model from Streamlight (I think it's a Streamlight, at least). It's a small light, approx 4" long with a tailcap switch. It fits nicely in your palm while doing building searches with your weapon drawn, takes up minimal space on your belt and can even fit comfortably in your pants pocket, etc. It usually runs approx $35 in most retail outlets, if I remember correctly.

Comment

streamlight stinger LED super bright and it holds the charge for a long time.
                      sigpicTrain Hard!!! Fight Smart

Comment

i have a stinger, an ultra-stinger, and the department issued sl-20 that is a regular bulb and led combo. i use the sl-20 on vehicle stops due to the led lights brightning the entire interior of the car. the ultra stinger is brighter longer which i use on wreck scenes, and the regular stinger i use on other stuff. love them all

Comment

Originally posted by luckydog View Post
                          i dont leave the house without my pelican 7060
                          Without a doubt this is the most kickass flashlight around. Bright, rechargeable, durable, good battery life -- I wouldn't want to be on the beat without one.

Comment

Pelican 7060 LED !!! Get another light on your gun and clearing those dark rooms will be much easier.
                            "Relax"

Comment

Big light: Ultrastinger by Streamlight
                              Small light: Stinger DS LED by Streamlight (includes stobe function)

These were the choices I recently made after doing research.
                              No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we require him to obey it.
                              -Theodore Roosevelt

The views expressed by this screen name do not represent any civilian,municipal, military, or federal law enforcement agency and are strictly the views of the individual writing. Under no circumstances should someone consider the content of these posts to have anything less than a great deal of sarcasm interlaced throughout. Read at your own risk.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6334 users online. 271 members and 6063 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X