300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice

Alright, so I had a guy just stop his car and take off running. I was unable to keep up with him. I got a good look at him, and requested the owner of the vehicle driver's license picture. I confirmed that the man who ran was the owner of the car. So now I have to do a warrant for him. Is it possible that if I see him, and again confirm that it is him, can I just arrest him for the charges I have on him. Or do I need to wait for the warrant?

The guy also called the next day to report his car stolen. Now the DA said that if he came to station I could arrest him, and then also for false reporting. But, if I went to his house I couldn't. What about if I goto his work?
    Last edited by statetpr31; 03-29-2008, 09:37 PM. Reason: added stuff

Originally posted by statetpr31 View Post
    Alright, so I had a guy just stop his car and take off running. I was unable to keep up with him. I got a good look at him, and requested the owner of the vehicle driver's license picture. I confirmed that the man who ran was the owner of the car. So now I have to do a warrant for him. Is it possible that if I see him, and again confirm that it is him, can I just arrest him for the charges I have on him. Or do I need to wait for the warrant?

The guy also called the next day to report his car stolen. Now the DA said that if he came to station I could arrest him, and then also for false reporting. But, if I went to his house I couldn't. What about if I goto his work?

I would wait and file charges on him. When the warrant comes out, go to his house and tell him you are there to talk to him about his car being stolen. When he comes out to speak to you, you place the "habiusgrabus" on him and toss him in jail. Remember, eventhough they get away from ya tonight, you can always get em tomorrow!
    Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Comment

I suspect your laws are the same as California's. First, I assume we are talking about a misdemeanor. Here, the arrest would have to be contemporaneous in time and place with the offence, so making the arrest at a later time or location, at his home or in a public place, would require a warrant. OTOH, if he came into the station to report the car as being stolen, you could arrest him for making a false report because you were the one that saw him run, you know the car wasn't stolen and the crime of making a false report is occurring in your presence.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks for the input, also he is on probation and his PO said that once I get the warrant issued, he would call him in for a standard meeting, and then we could arrest him. So I'll get him sooner or later.

Comment

Wait For The Warrant, That Way If Hes In The House You Have Pc To Enter....

Comment

Same as the rest, should'nt be too long before a warrant tells you to arrest him. At this point I would wait, as you probably have to legally. On a sdide note, how many of these idiots in your jurisidiction report a GTMV after they have wrecked thier car or ran from the police?????? It seems crazy to me that most people don't realize their car is missing until the next day. But everytime some drunken genious runs or smokes a parked car, they notice their car missing immediamtely. This ******$S me OFF, but the losers keep geting away with it. Anyway, good luck.

Comment

Yea, this guy didn't realize it until the next day. He decided to leave it run all night so he could charge his cellphone. Yea right. So I did up a warrant for him, and arrested him today when he went to see his PO. He (Arrestee) was not very happy with me, lol. So it all worked out. He wouldn't answer any questions for me regarding the initial incident, imagine that.

Comment

Did you town the dirt bags car? If not make sure you do next go around, he then has to pay for the tow and come in to get a release to get the vehicle. You then get the 2 fer 1. The fine for the offense and the price o the tow.

Comment

Yup, I sure did. And it has been impounded for over a week, so it should be a nice fee for him. I didn't know where to locate him at, so I couldn't tell him where it was. I sent a card to his last known address, but it wasn't current. Oh well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4653 users online. 262 members and 4391 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X