300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd shift and sleeping

I have been on third since I started here in August and I actually prefer it, however I have been having a lot of trouble with sleeping lately. For the first 4 or 5 months it was no problem at all. But ever since the new year I have been so screwed up with sleeping. Sometimes I can't sleep at all and some days I sleep wayyyyy to much. Ex. one night I will only sleep for 3 or four hours and then a few days later I will sleep for 12. Anyone else having this problem.
    “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
    ― Henry Ford

Yes. When I was on mids, Id go for a run after work at about 8. Even if its only a mile. Take a shower, relax, watch some tv,and by noon I was out like a light.

I highly suggest a morning activity such as a work out to get tired.

Comment

Make sure you stay up for a few hours after work. Many people, myself included, can't sleep right after work and if I try I will toss and turn all day. Whatever you do get into a routine, don't be like the other dopes (we all work with them) who don't and are always too tired, sometimes to the point of being a danger to themselves and others.

Comment

I've found that if I keep a regular schedule then I tend to fell better. I used to go to sleep right when I got home. This really messed me up because my body became used to this and I was sleepy and tired for the last 2 hours of my shift, not to mention the drive home. I've gone to the other extreme and went to bed late and just work up right before work, which made me groggy for the first few hours of my shift. The happy medium is staying up for 4 hours after my shift and then going to bed. I'm a morning watch guy, 11pm to 7am. I usually turn in around noon and get up around 7pm. It works for me and it works for my family since I can spend some time with them before I have to go in. It also allows me time after work to get things done. Find the right schedule for you. Just make it a routine.

Comment

How is your sleep room? Is it darkened out with heavy plastic or aluminum on the windows? Quiet?

When I was overseas we rotated shifts every month, so every three months you worked midnights but not for long enough to get used to it. I used melatonin supplements with pretty good success to sleep during the day. You can buy them at any drug store or chain store where the vitamins are.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Try Melatonin. It's all natural and you feel the "fuzzies" when you wake up.
            Aim for Center Mass

Comment

The room is fairly dark except for when the sun first comes up. I do have two dogs that have crates in the room (nowhere else to keep them) that sometimes wake me up but othert than that it is usually quiet. I just can't figure out why all of a sudden its becoming a problem. I also have started having a lot of vivd dreams about work. May have to try some of that Melatonan stuff.
              “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
              ― Henry Ford

Comment

ITs 1026 am... and im still up from my midnight shift... just get off work and go for a run..take an early morning college class... get breakfast.... I get off and usually take my kids to school.. or breakfast.... go by the grocery store..... and go home..... there is the occasional day of traffic court or class... but usually by noon im out like a light.. and i wake up about 7pm.. gives me some time to watch tv.. do laundry.. hit the forums.. before having to be at work at 1030
                I may be short, fat and stupid...... But I can still taser you....

Comment

i cant function on the 3rd shift... could not eat right/sleep/ workout.. i am at the 1400-2200 hrs shift .... 2nd shift... sun/mon off i like it works good w/ my life .....
                  sigpic

Comment

Unfortunately, I work 12 hr shifts. 7P-7A. Don't get me wrong, nights are my preference (on 8 hr shifts). I am married with children, and my wife works "days". I come home from work and go directly to bed. This works for me but obviously not some others.

As previously stated I would get into a routine. Many of the guys I work with sleep when they can or when they want to. Not Me. I stay up on my nights off, and keep the same routine all year. (This should be obvious as I am reponding to this at 0200 hrs on my day off)

Some of these guys will stay up on our first day off as long as they can. Sometimes in the neighborhood of 30+ hrs. They then go to bed at a "normal" hour (ie 9-10PM) and get up early in the morning on their second day off. Then they attempt to stay up that night to readjust to nightshift.

Most are tired and crabby their first day back and some, their second.

I like to spend time with the family as much as the next guy, but this is what I have asked my wife: Would you rather me not sleep and be a crab-***** for 8 hours, or sleep and be "normal" for 5-6 hrs. Quality-vs-Quantity.

Do what you wan't and figure out what works best for you.

Comment

By the way-

I thought those "in the know" said not to exercise right before bed.

It won't tire you out as much as it will get you amped up.

This is what happens to me anyway.

All the juices get flowing, and its time to go not time to shut down.

Comment

I am on a constant swing, it is very draining and basically highly absurd, very abnormal and imo detrimental to my health. Ha, I get by but it is unreal... When on Mids I get off, go home and pass out w/in 45min. Sometimes I toss and turn, get ****ed and get up...

I can't wait to get on a dept with perm. Shifts. It seems like everyone I work w/likes the swing?

Here is my current schedule:
                        It is a 6-week rotation. The best way to comprehend it is to pretend you are starting day shift on Saturday of week 6. It gives us a four-day weekend every 3 weeks. You can burn week fours two day shifts and have off 9 days in a row. (R = Off-Duty)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jrablee View Post
                          Try Melatonin. It's all natural and you feel the "fuzzies" when you wake up.

This stuff is God's gift to coppers that work straight nights. I worked 11pm-7am (and court 9am-11ish 3 or 4 days a week) for 6 years and was a HUGE fan of it. This stuff will regulate your body. Take it for a week or so, then try sleeping without it and you will probably have good luck. Sleep always seemed to go in cycles with some good weeks and some bad weeks. My partner would go on 2 or 3 hours a sleep a day and not by choice. But he learned to function like that. When we went to early afternoons for a change we felt a MILLION times better at work and at home.
                          Last edited by CinciCobra; 03-26-2008, 01:15 PM. Reason: misspelling
                          "Any comments from the above user reflect only the opinions of him, and not that of any police department....namely mine!!!!"

Blaming guns for violence is like blaming spoons for Rosie O'Donnell being fat

Comment

I have worked five different year long shifts on graves. Your are having trouble for one simple reason, the human body is not meant to work at night and sleep during the day. We are not nocturnal and your body will fight the transition in becoming nocturnal.

Each person takes graves differently. Personally, I usually get about 7 or 8 hours of sleep for a few months. Then, I will start waking up after 5 hours of sleep. At this point, I know its time to hit the reset button. I will wait until the first day of my weekend and stay up as long as a can. I will essentially adjust back to a day schedule then at the end of the weekend adjust back to a grave schedule.

Melatonin is gold. Do not take it on the weekends though or your body may start to depend on it for sleep all the time. You can pick some up at your local grocery store or GNC.

I am working graves this year. I am trying something new and it seems to be working. After I get up I lift hard for an hour to an hour and a half. I completely avoid caffeine and nicotine. If I get tired I get out of the car and do foot patrol. I can say I have never felt better while working graves and I sleep great.

The dreams you are having are due to stress and the weird sleep schedule. It will go away after you get used to everything. I can remember having those dreams which basically consisted me patroling in nothing but my underware. I hated those dreams....

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post
                              I have worked five different year long shifts on graves. Your are having trouble for one simple reason, the human body is not meant to work at night and sleep during the day. We are not nocturnal and your body will fight the transition in becoming nocturnal.

Each person takes graves differently. Personally, I usually get about 7 or 8 hours of sleep for a few months. Then, I will start waking up after 5 hours of sleep. At this point, I know its time to hit the reset button. I will wait until the first day of my weekend and stay up as long as a can. I will essentially adjust back to a day schedule then at the end of the weekend adjust back to a grave schedule.

Melatonin is gold. Do not take it on the weekends though or your body may start to depend on it for sleep all the time. You can pick some up at your local grocery store or GNC.

I am working graves this year. I am trying something new and it seems to be working. After I get up I lift hard for an hour to an hour and a half. I completely avoid caffeine and nicotine. If I get tired I get out of the car and do foot patrol. I can say I have never felt better while working graves and I sleep great.

The dreams you are having are due to stress and the weird sleep schedule. It will go away after you get used to everything. I can remember having those dreams which basically consisted me patroling in nothing but my underware. I hated those dreams....
                              +1 to everything said above (11 yrs plus on midnights)
                              I cycle and have to "reset" every so often. Right now I am just coming off a vacation and am really messed up!
                              I prefer to stay up a bit 2-3 hrs after I get home and then sleep a bit later in the evening...but that is personal preference......I have people on my shift that use about every sleep pattern you can think of and swear by that pattern..........You need to do what works for you and your situation.

I have never tried Melatonin but think I will. The nurses at my institution swear by benadryl......and I take it WHEN I KNOW I HAVE TO SLEEP TODAY...but on ly once in a while
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7416 users online. 338 members and 7078 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X