300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when fto isnt possible to finish

I'd like a few opinions here. I was 8 weeks into fto with 4 more to go when I was shot on duty. Now Im not able to finish due to being now banned from patrol duties. I was made a Detective but my supervisors had other ideas with what to do with me and that was absolutely nothing. I was ignored and not allowed to work cases basicly I got to collect dust and check email after having a full medical clearance 8 hours a day. I filed a complaint with the dept. but the exuse was we just didnt know how to train you! So my response was you knew how to train and send 2 other new male detectives to trainings and follow around senior Detectives didnt you. Most Detectives in my dept have an average of 6 months to a year in patrol by the way. Does any experienced officers have opinions if this is the usual treatment after on duty injury? Anyone to share advice Im at a standstill as to what to do to go on with my career I certainly cant check email for 40 hours a week for the next 23 years.
    ‎"I'm angry. It's okay. I'll process my anger. I love myself. Whoosah.

Well, I guess my first question to you would be, are you medically cleared to be an officer? In my department, detectives are officers first and just assigned as a detective as their duty. So, if you aren't medically cleared to be an officer, I'm not sure why they would assign you to an officer's position.

If you are cleared to be an officer, then they should put you back through FTO. If they want to assign you to detective after that, then you should get whatever training is normal for a detective in your department.

If you're not cleared to be an officer, then they should find a non-sworn position (or, perhaps, a sworn office position, though I personally believe that any sworn officer should be able to perform whatever law enforcement related function they are called upon to do) for you or you should take medical retirement for the injuries you sustained from the shooting.

I can see what your department is doing...it looks good publically to promote a rookie officer severely injured in the line of duty to detective...but they aren't being fair to you or to the other members of the department by making you a detective in just name and letting you collect dust in some office.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I do have a medical clearance have had it for some time. I'd love to go back into fto but like I said my Dept. states that they think im too much of a risk for patrol but I passed all of my training courses and requalified when I came back to work for patrol. They stated they promoted me because im not elligible for patrol and I have a degree working on my masters and they think I have the ability to learn a Detectives position, but when I get into my division I run into resentment by rank and so I was collecting dust. In my opinion before fto,Officers learned hands on by doing why is it so hard to just let me start from that point and just work cases with a senior Detective until I learn enough skills to work independently since my Dept will not let me finish the traditional fto program? wouldnt that make any sense to do?

Comment

Do they not want you in patrol because you are a woman?

Comment

How were you treated before the incident? How many females are in your dept?

Who is saying you can't finish your fto? Too much of a risk for patrol? (that is crap..you handled yourself in the way you were trained)

Did you take a test to be promoted?

If you are medically cleared to return...what is their reasons from banning you?

Detectives have 6 months to a year experience? Perhaps they feel you haven't proven yourself and the audacity of you being in the same position as us! (with 6 months of experience- they aren't what you call seasoned veterans.)

As for the injury..it's not like you're faking the injury..or a worker's comp fraud! Hello people...where are those photos of your arm?

Take it higher via the chain of command, of course.

What do YOU think it is? Find out the answers from your dept. We can't really speculate what your dept is thinking. Perhaps an attorney will get answers for you.

IF NOT...I personally wouldn't sit and collect dust for 20 years. Take your talents somewhere else.

Come out to Caleee...you can be my beat partner!
          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Well I think my supervisors dont want me in Detectives because they feel like im unworthy of the position Im somehow fragile because I got shot and Im not sure if it has anything to do with being a woman but it might a little bit.

Comment

Before the incident I really wasnt treated any different than any other rookie man or woman I did my job and went home as usual. They have maybe 20 females if that of 400. On patrol its 4 females and in Detectives 2. The personel dept. says I cannot go back on patrol I really never asked why I assumed because of my injury. We aren't civil service so we dont take a test it based soley on proving yourself and putting in for it, but I was promoted directly by the sheriff I did not put in for the promotion didnt ask for it either and I was not choosen from a pool of people by my supervisors.This made rank very very unhappy. I went up to the major so far with it but all I get is very very dumb exuses. Most of the Detectives are seasoned 10+ yrs but we rotate about 3 spots for promotions to the bureau and they are elligible for the pool after 6 months patrol experience and 1 year with dept no matter where. I just think that Im viewed as weak after being shot because my injury was bad and the stigma of a woman vs a mans . Broken bones heal its not like im physically fragile im not gonna break Im prob in the best shape of my life after weight training for my injury to regain strength. My only limitation is that I cant bend my left elbow a few degrees which really isnt noticeable I regained most of my function back from the many surgeries ive had which are now all said and done. Im just mad because a young male deputy got shot 6 months after me he put in for detectives got the position and hes working cases now no prob hes not getting the drama I got in the bureau. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to work patrol. Id love to just end the exuse about me not having the training in patrol and just go back and do it but I know that that most likely has very little to do with it my presence just rubbed rank the wrong way besides when I was promoted the sheriff told me I would do an alternative fto in the bureau well like I said rank had other ideas of what to do with me.

Comment

Is your limitations of flexiblity going to get YOU or someone else hurt? This is a question you have to answer honestly...to yourself and your partners. If the answer is yes...then your patrol days are over. If it is no, then:

If you are medically cleared for full duty...then I would request to be given the opportunity to finish the fto program.

Don't be mad at the other male deputy...

The stigma of male vs female has no validity when it comes to your situation of being shot. Now if ya got yer arse beat then I could see them saying crap. Funny how they don't give the guys crap when they get their arses in a wringer.

If you honestly feel the dept is making career decisions for you...then it's time to leave. Like I said before....take your talent somewhere else where you can make your own career decisions.

Sistah...it's always going to be a male dominated career no matter where you go. But I wouldn't settle for someone else telling me I can't do what I want to do (patrol)...without giving me the chance to prove them wrong.

Fight the battles you are able to win...you might not be in that situation if the administration have already decided.
                This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

No I dont think my limitations are gonna get me killed or endanger anyone else on patrol. I guess I didnt put it correct when I said I was mad. Im mad because of the situation is unfair that although we were in the same boat I was treated differently Im not mad at the deputy hes actually a good officer. I know no matter where I go in law enforcement its male dominated but what I cant deal with is being told I cant before Ive even done it. I guess Im just gonna wait it out and if things dont resolve I will be seeking other options where I actually count. No it seems when a male gets shot here hes a hero when a women gets shot its oh you poor baby I have to protect you syndrome goes on over here. Im not gonna stress does no good besides I got a degree to fall back on.

Comment

I agree with Deputyx2 here...if you're medically-able to do patrol, go tell the brass that you want to finish your FTO. Tell them you were hired as a police officer and that's what you want to do. Tell them that you feel that your promotion/transfer to detective at your level of experience is a waste and that you want to learn the job hands-on at the patrol level and work your way into being a detective when you have the experience. If they tell you that you're never going to work patrol, ask them why...and get a real reason.

This is the time for you to find out where you stand in your department. Fight to get back out there and do the job you were hired to do. Convince them that you're 100% from your injury and that you want to get back out there.
                    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

OK, let me get this straight...

I just think that Im viewed as weak after being shot because my injury was bad and the stigma of a woman vs a mans .
                      1. You and your partner were shot; you continued fighting and won the battle, as I recall from your first post lo these many months ago.

2. Somehow this makes you weak? I'm very confused as to what kind of cops you are working with.

I think it's time to let the sheriff know you are cleared for patrol, you want to work patrol, and will soon be working patrol - if not for him, for someone else. Go somewhere you will be appreciated. I'm sorry, but I don't even know you and the treatment you're getting just burns me up. If you had been killed, they would have eulogized you in a positive light; because you fought well you somehow are being swept under the carpet. Absolutely inexcusable.
                      If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I never got a chance to read the other thread you made, but what were the circumstances of the shooting? Did you return fire? Is there a possibility that the incident is still under administrative investigation? If so, then you probably return to patrol until they are done.
                        LAPD

Comment

Berlioz

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...ighlight=pyxie

There are pics of her arm also

Comment

No Investigations closed and the suspects were sentenced for a very long time. Yes I returned fire yes I took a bullet so My fto didnt get shot in the head and yes Im still being swept under the carpet .

Comment

Originally posted by School Cop View Post
                              OK, let me get this straight...

1. You and your partner were shot; you continued fighting and won the battle, as I recall from your first post lo these many months ago.

2. Somehow this makes you weak? I'm very confused as to what kind of cops you are working with.

I think it's time to let the sheriff know you are cleared for patrol, you want to work patrol, and will soon be working patrol - if not for him, for someone else. Go somewhere you will be appreciated. I'm sorry, but I don't even know you and the treatment you're getting just burns me up. If you had been killed, they would have eulogized you in a positive light; because you fought well you somehow are being swept under the carpet. Absolutely inexcusable.
                              They think Im weak because of how bad my injury was and how long it took to fix bones nerves etc now I have scars that look worse than the issue is. My bones have healed nerves been fixed but now im still considered physically weak when in reality im no weaker than I was joining the force.
                              I ve had many surgeries to fix everything but they were all worth it but now my arm looks like frankenstein from it. The sheriff does know Im fully medically cleared thats why I got promoted to Detectives and not the dispatch room.I personally gave him the clearance.
                              I also filed an offical discrimination complaint which he has to read. That got me absolutely knowhere besides being told oh we werent discriminating against u we just dont know how to train you? So since when does getting shot qualify afterwards as untrainable but yet promotable? I'm just getting an incredible amout of bs eventually I'll get to do my job without exuses or Ill be getting paid but either way it doesn't give me my respect dignity and stressed days back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1468 users online. 90 members and 1378 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X