Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice

Hi all,
    I'm approaching my first year and have a few questions/am seeking advice. I work in a smaller jail (under 100 beds), but we do more than just monitor the jail. I've done extraditions including out of state, medical transports, court security, in person court (not so much now due to covid), helped with fire evacuations, and other POST related duties without going to a POST academy. I'm sworn, have full arrest powers etc when on duty but am not POST... kinda odd but there it is.

While I haven't seen things I know patrol has (fatal accidents, etc), I'm struggling to sleep, am working 14+ hour days (we work 12s) have had 80 hour work weeks, have a higher resting heart rate, and have lost interest in "simple" things (more introverted), crash on days off (sleep 12-16 hours) and am being given more responsibility (firearms instructor/fto).

I was a collegiate athlete, very sociable, extroverted, healthy...I've noticed this job has taken its toll on me and am looking for advice.
    I know putting numbers down is a rookie move, and there's always the, I've worked 168 hours in a week, then climbed a 14er guy but I can't sustain this lifestyle to finish my career let alone another 2-3 years. I really enjoy this career but feel like it's kicking my ***.

What tips/tricks can you all share? Sleep/fitness/diet being the biggest and time or the lack of it seem like the biggest issues.

Thanks in advance.
    - Dave

Are the hours mandatory ot or are you choosing to work those hours? If the latter, the solution is obvious. If those are mandatory hours, the solution is start looking for a different job.

We have all worked long hours, but there has to be a breaking point. 80 hour weeks on end is not sustainable. Between sleeping, commuting, and working, your life is pretty well gone.

There is no diet or workout that will change that.

I worked the occasional 80 hour week, even 2 weeks in a row, but never for a month.

If this is mandatory ot why is the agency so understaffed? Is there realistic hope for this to change soin?

If you are expected or required to consistently work 60 plus hour weeks. Look for a different job. There is a reason why the agency is understaffed, I suspect. Applicants are few because they do not want to work there.

what you are describing is not sustainable for a career.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Davet223 View Post
      Hi all,
      I'm approaching my first year and have a few questions/am seeking advice. I work in a smaller jail (under 100 beds), but we do more than just monitor the jail. I've done extraditions including out of state, medical transports, court security, in person court (not so much now due to covid), helped with fire evacuations, and other POST related duties without going to a POST academy. I'm sworn, have full arrest powers etc when on duty but am not POST... kinda odd but there it is.

While I haven't seen things I know patrol has (fatal accidents, etc), I'm struggling to sleep, am working 14+ hour days (we work 12s) have had 80 hour work weeks, have a higher resting heart rate, and have lost interest in "simple" things (more introverted), crash on days off (sleep 12-16 hours) and am being given more responsibility (firearms instructor/fto).

I was a collegiate athlete, very sociable, extroverted, healthy...I've noticed this job has taken its toll on me and am looking for advice.
      I know putting numbers down is a rookie move, and there's always the, I've worked 168 hours in a week, then climbed a 14er guy but I can't sustain this lifestyle to finish my career let alone another 2-3 years. I really enjoy this career but feel like it's kicking my ***.

What tips/tricks can you all share? Sleep/fitness/diet being the biggest and time or the lack of it seem like the biggest issues.

Thanks in advance.
      - Dave
      Learn to say NO...............
      It can not be sustained & probably violates Federal Labor rules
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4768 users online. 290 members and 4478 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X