300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Advice to a Rookie.

I understand there are a lot of unwritten rules in LE to gain respect and prove yourself to the seasoned officers.

As a rookie starting in one month. I would like to make a good impression on fellow officers and allow them to trust me when it is needed the most and make sure they cover me when I need it. Any advice is apprectiated. Thanks.

How not to look like an idiot as a rookie.
    How to gain respect from the seasoned officers in the department.
    What are the things that rookie officers do that bother you the most?
    What would you tell a rookie who you know and wish to succeed in LE?

Anything else that will help me succeed in my LE career would be much apprectiated.
    TheDesire
    Desire. Dedication. Dicipline.

Just a hint...read the entire thread that's stickied at the top of this forum A.K.A unwritten rules for rookies. If after reading the entire thing you have questions, I'll be happy to answer them
    Last edited by Shaidon; 06-13-2007, 02:43 AM.
    I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by TheDesire View Post
      I understand there are a lot of unwritten rules in LE to gain respect and prove yourself to the seasoned officers.

As a rookie starting in one month. I would like to make a good impression on fellow officers and allow them to trust me when it is needed the most and make sure they cover me when I need it. Any advice is apprectiated. Thanks.

How not to look like an idiot as a rookie.
      How to gain respect from the seasoned officers in the department.
      What are the things that rookie officers do that bother you the most?
      What would you tell a rookie who you know and wish to succeed in LE?

Anything else that will help me succeed in my LE career would be much apprectiated.
      First off...know that you WILL make mistakes. Learn from them. After that, the less you say the better. A lot of, "Yes, sir", and, "No, sir", will do you well. If you think you know how to handle a situation, handle it! But don't be wrong if you choose to go it on your own. The best trainees I ever had were the ones who thought for themselves and handled their stuff with no input from me. Don't make the same mistake twice. No training officer is going to put you in a situation where you're gonna get hurt if you make a bad call. Trust your instincts. Your T.O. is looking for you to show him you can do the job. Don't keep looking for his approval. Have fun...Laugh at your mistakes (as long as no one got hurt). Have fun!

Comment

I did read it. The main point of that thread (from my reading) is how to perform your job as a rookie and the differences that I have been told in the academy versus the truth on the road. Aswell as the major things that you need to take into consideration when you are on the road.

There was not much (if any that I can recall) on the specific questions I asked on how to survive the interpersonal rules in LE rather than how to survive my job.

I will go read it again to make sure. Correct me if I am wrong. As always, I don't know everything and could have missed things, that why I am asking.

Thanks for the insight LuvedMyMotor.
        TheDesire

Comment

Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Don't act as if you know it all. Know you'll mess up and know how to move on. Keep your eyes open, your mouth shut, and your wits about you. Most importantly....have fun.
          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Thanks JSD73!!
            TheDesire

Comment

Well if you're looking for purely interpersonal advice, I'll throw in my two cents. Nothing will help you fit in more than time and having a sense of humor. There are alot of rooks who immediately start complaining, questioning vets etc etc and really...It just takes some time. Don't be afraid to strike up conversations with other officers, but keep the topics fairly neutral. You never know if you are bitching about the chief to the chiefs' best friend if you get my drift.

As the others said, everyone is going to screw up when they start, so just roll with the punches, try not to make the same mistake twice, and don't get bitter when you end up being the butt of a joke because of it. And just to let you in on a little secret...some of the big bad vets who pick on you are just seeing if you will stand up for yourself. Think of it as a character test. If you act professional and just smile when they insult you, you'll eventually find out that they are probably really good officers. Just have to earn your place
              I disaprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Voltaire

Comment

One thing that will really push an FTO's button, is to hear his/her trainee say "I know how to..." and come to find out the trainee didn't really know how to do that one thing, or the answer to the question, or even the correct violation code they are citing or arresting an indidvidual for. If you know it, and you are sure, then go ahead and say so. If you don't really know, don't try to d***le your FTO with B.S. and wing it. Because if you are wrong and you are caught by the supervisor and not the FTO first, oooh, you will never hear or feel the end of it.

And like Shaidon mentioned above, you need to earn everyone's respect. If you get mad at everyone else, but not at your self when you screw up, then you will be behind the 8 ball for sure.
                Carpe Noctem

Comment

Thanks for the reply Shaidon. I got more out of it this time.

Thanks for the information EMVAMPYRE.
                  TheDesire

Comment

From one new guy to another...

How not to look like an idiot: you will

How to gain respect: time and quality work, also being willing to accept help

Things new guys do to **** off elders: complain. You will be working with people who have been shot, stabbed, and dealt with the bs for a long time. Dont bitch you have not yet earned the right.

Advice for a sucessfull rook: It is impossible to always follow the rules in this job. Make sure you can always genuinely say "I ment well" when explaining yourself to the supervisor and you will be ok. If your reason for doing anything is that you were lazy, mad, or trying to be a hard *** you are wrong. But if you can honestly say, "I ment well" then you did your job.

Oh, and volenteer to do any extra work you can to help senior guys. Alot of times they will say thanks anyway but it will go a long way towards them accepting you.
                    War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
                    John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Comment

-keep your mouth shut
                      -never ever start a sentence with "but in the academy they said..."
                      -get to know the guys you work with before you start taking advice from them. it will take a year or maybe more to realize whos advice you should be taking.
                      -Sean

Comment

Just a few things I haven't seen mentioned.

I started with a guy who didn't ever complain, but he tried too hard, too soon to fit in, make a good impression, etc.

He would be the guy who would walk up to a group of officers at the tail end of a joke, and only hear half the punchline, but be the one laughing the loudest. And even when he was there for an entire story or joke, his laughs were obviously just forced and way over the top.

He would also strut around and say things like "Hey champ!" to veteran officers, wink at them, etc.

He has been here 3 months and already has a bad rep. Everyone knows him, and no one can stand him.

Don't be that guy.

Comment

Very informative replies. This is more what I was looking for rather than the stickied post (It was also good reading). It is apprectiated. Thanks a lot guys.
                          TheDesire

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4557 users online. 252 members and 4305 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X