X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nrneuha
    replied
    Originally posted by TacticalMD View Post
    So there seems to be some inconsistency in my academy as to which hand (strong/gun or weak) should be used to hold the cuffs while the other holds the suspect.
    They both present pros:
    Gun hand: Can easily drop the cuffs and push away the suspect with weak hand while un-holstering with gun hand.
    Weak hand: Strong hand can hold the suspect better (ex. a wrist lock, etc.) due to strength.

So what hand do you use to place the cuffs on?

Thanks!
    What do you think? If you have a suspect "restrained" and you are attempting to cuff him and you have to revert to deadly force, it is a proven fact that when you have something in your hand, in a situation of panic, you will not let go of that something. It is a reflex. Good luck getting your sidearm out while you have a pair of cuffs in your gun hand. Always hold with your strong/gun hand and cuff with your weak hand. It's a no-brainer. Just like when you approach any car or person, traffic stop or F/I, never have anything in your gun hand, just in case. It just slows you down, and speeds up the inevitable. Your death. Ask your instructor to straighten you out and let him know about the inconsistency of his teaching, just don't **** him off.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I tend to use my strong/gun hand. For some strange reason I get a better grip with my weak hand.

Leave a comment:

• tripledouble
    replied
    Originally posted by TacticalMD View Post
    So there seems to be some inconsistency in my academy as to which hand (strong/gun or weak) should be used to hold the cuffs while the other holds the suspect.
    They both present pros:
    Gun hand: Can easily drop the cuffs and push away the suspect with weak hand while un-holstering with gun hand.
    Weak hand: Strong hand can hold the suspect better (ex. a wrist lock, etc.) due to strength.

So what hand do you use to place the cuffs on?

Thanks!
    My answer is you need to have control of your suspect before even putting the cuffs on, whether they are standing or prone. If your right hand has the suspect under control, you use your left hand to cuff the subject, and vice versa. If the suspect gets antsy, you appy pain-compliance with the hand in control. Every situation is different, and you may end up getting the suspect under control with your right hand or your left hand.
    As for control and pain compliance moves, do what you have been taught in academy (for liability reasons, I'm not going to tell you what to do).

Leave a comment:

• spikeone66
    replied
    Our Academy teaches to use what every hand is free... they also teach behind the back thumbs up, cursory search. We would do drills where we would have to search the suspect, and the instructor would yell cuff, and we would do a quick cuff with whatever hand was free at the time. If we swtiched hands we'd have to do pushups. I keep a pair of cuffs on each side of my belt.

Leave a comment:

• cpd169
    replied
    I'm left handed but shoot right handed, in most things I'm ambidexterous. I use hinged cuffs on any resistive or combative suspects and have had no trouble performing take downs using either hand. I carry my hinged cuffs behind my weapon and chain cuffs on the opposite side. As long as you've got a grip on the hinged cuff and jerk the suspects arm up at an angle quickly applying leverage to their straightened out elbow they'll go down everytime in my experience. I may have one in the future that doesn't as Mr. murphy is always lurking around somewhere, but as of yet, I haven't had any problems using this technique.

Leave a comment:

• ArkansasFan24
    replied
    I'm a "righty," and I handcuff right handed.

Originally, it didn't matter to me until I got some hinged cuffs and saw how easy it would be to use them as a takedown tool over the chained cuffs. I couldn't really do the takedowns left handed.

Mostly, I use the right hand because my cuff pouch is on the right side behind my gun. I don't carry a lot of junk on my belt and nothing behind me.

Leave a comment:

• shftat6
    replied
    Originally posted by Phlip View Post
    Strong hand here, hands behind their backs thumbs up, then work right to left, never actually letting my strong hand leave the cuffs.
    Same here.

Leave a comment:

• Phlip
    replied
    Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post
    Thats the best answer. Dont get hung up on the training. When the crap hits the fan, the hand that has the cuffs in it will do the work.
    I heard that! In the Academy I could handcuff someone in the dark with my eyes closed in under 3 seconds.... but even that was a perfect world really.

Strong hand here, hands behind their backs thumbs up, then work right to left, never actually letting my strong hand leave the cuffs.

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilosophyNerd View Post
    Hey, here's a question for the LEOs on the board; how do YOU handcuff a suspect? In other words, when preparing to handcuff a subject, do you hold their hands together first and cuff one palm after the other, or do you let the hands hang side by side and then cuff? I ask because I took a Pre-Police Academy Class here at my college last semester, and we practiced arrest procedures, and I cuffed someone while holding their hands together to prevent escape/attack; however, I see LEOs who cuff their subject's palms one by one without holding their hands together. I would just like to get a feel for everyone's personal style...

For a cooperative subject, hands together, palms out, thumbs up. Grab their fingers with the strong hand to hold them together and cuff with the weak hand.

Leave a comment:

• BSO6531
    replied
    I tend to use weak hand when I cuff.

Leave a comment:

• Irishluck31
    replied
    Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
    Whichever one is not grasping the POS.

Thats the best answer. Dont get hung up on the training. When the crap hits the fan, the hand that has the cuffs in it will do the work.

Leave a comment:

• PhilosophyNerd
    replied
    Handcuffing Techniques

Hey, here's a question for the LEOs on the board; how do YOU handcuff a suspect? In other words, when preparing to handcuff a subject, do you hold their hands together first and cuff one palm after the other, or do you let the hands hang side by side and then cuff? I ask because I took a Pre-Police Academy Class here at my college last semester, and we practiced arrest procedures, and I cuffed someone while holding their hands together to prevent escape/attack; however, I see LEOs who cuff their subject's palms one by one without holding their hands together. I would just like to get a feel for everyone's personal style...
    Last edited by PhilosophyNerd; 06-14-2007, 01:11 PM. Reason: Typing error

Leave a comment:

• grumpyirishman
    replied
    Whichever one is not grasping the POS.

Leave a comment:

• CougCop326
    replied
    Depends on the situation. If i am restraining the suspect with my left hand, I cuff with my right and vise versa. It is a good idea to practice using both because you dont ever know what position you are going to be in while fighting with a suspect. Gun side away is always ideal, but if the fight is on...taking the opportunity of getting the cuffs on when you have it without having to switch hands or positions is also ideal.

Leave a comment:

• aikido kid
    replied
    i use my right hand, i guess it comes natural and I'm just faster at getting them on with my right hand.

But come to think of it, I've used both hands, i guess it depends on how I'm holding the perp.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4707 users online. 304 members and 4403 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X