300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is Your Handcuffing Hand?

So there seems to be some inconsistency in my academy as to which hand (strong/gun or weak) should be used to hold the cuffs while the other holds the suspect.
    They both present pros:
    Gun hand: Can easily drop the cuffs and push away the suspect with weak hand while un-holstering with gun hand.
    Weak hand: Strong hand can hold the suspect better (ex. a wrist lock, etc.) due to strength.

So what hand do you use to place the cuffs on?

Thanks!

I usually use "weak" hand to cuff, I am left handed but I shoot right handed so I really have no weak hand it is just easier for me to manipulate the cuffs w/left although it depends on the position I find myself in when I apply the cuffs which hand I use.
    the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

Strong hand applies the cuffs.

Wrist locks can be applied with either hand. But its easier to apply a wrist lock with your weak hand (gun side away) and apply the cuffs with your stong hand.
      Last edited by deputy x 2; 06-12-2007, 08:36 PM.
      This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Strong hand is better so you can apply the cuffs with strength and confidence, you can always drop them if you need to go for your gun.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2 View Post
          Strong hand applies the cuffs.

Wrist locks can be applied with either hand. But its easier to apply a wrist lock with your weak hand (gun side away) and apply the cuffs with your stong hand.
          exactly. if you are close enough to someone to have them in a wrist lock them they are close enough to make a gun grab if they get out of it. it's best to put them as far away from your gun side as possible.
          -Sean

Comment

Originally posted by SMPPD87 View Post
            exactly. if you are close enough to someone to have them in a wrist lock them they are close enough to make a gun grab if they get out of it. it's best to put them as far away from your gun side as possible.
            Yup, that's the best answer yet...
            Carpe Noctem

Comment

i use my right hand, i guess it comes natural and I'm just faster at getting them on with my right hand.

But come to think of it, I've used both hands, i guess it depends on how I'm holding the perp.
              "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

Depends on the situation. If i am restraining the suspect with my left hand, I cuff with my right and vise versa. It is a good idea to practice using both because you dont ever know what position you are going to be in while fighting with a suspect. Gun side away is always ideal, but if the fight is on...taking the opportunity of getting the cuffs on when you have it without having to switch hands or positions is also ideal.

Comment

Whichever one is not grasping the POS.
                  "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

Handcuffing Techniques

Hey, here's a question for the LEOs on the board; how do YOU handcuff a suspect? In other words, when preparing to handcuff a subject, do you hold their hands together first and cuff one palm after the other, or do you let the hands hang side by side and then cuff? I ask because I took a Pre-Police Academy Class here at my college last semester, and we practiced arrest procedures, and I cuffed someone while holding their hands together to prevent escape/attack; however, I see LEOs who cuff their subject's palms one by one without holding their hands together. I would just like to get a feel for everyone's personal style...
                    Last edited by PhilosophyNerd; 06-14-2007, 01:11 PM. Reason: Typing error
                    "A man is a fool if he tries to pet the dog that once bit him."- Cheif William Gillespie

Comment

Originally posted by grumpyirishman View Post
                      Whichever one is not grasping the POS.

Thats the best answer. Dont get hung up on the training. When the crap hits the fan, the hand that has the cuffs in it will do the work.
                      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

I tend to use weak hand when I cuff.
                        "A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living".
                        John F Kennedy, US

Comment

Originally posted by PhilosophyNerd View Post
                          Hey, here's a question for the LEOs on the board; how do YOU handcuff a suspect? In other words, when preparing to handcuff a subject, do you hold their hands together first and cuff one palm after the other, or do you let the hands hang side by side and then cuff? I ask because I took a Pre-Police Academy Class here at my college last semester, and we practiced arrest procedures, and I cuffed someone while holding their hands together to prevent escape/attack; however, I see LEOs who cuff their subject's palms one by one without holding their hands together. I would just like to get a feel for everyone's personal style...

For a cooperative subject, hands together, palms out, thumbs up. Grab their fingers with the strong hand to hold them together and cuff with the weak hand.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Irishluck31 View Post
                            Thats the best answer. Dont get hung up on the training. When the crap hits the fan, the hand that has the cuffs in it will do the work.
                            I heard that! In the Academy I could handcuff someone in the dark with my eyes closed in under 3 seconds.... but even that was a perfect world really.

Strong hand here, hands behind their backs thumbs up, then work right to left, never actually letting my strong hand leave the cuffs.
                            Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Phlip View Post
                              Strong hand here, hands behind their backs thumbs up, then work right to left, never actually letting my strong hand leave the cuffs.
                              Same here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3185 users online. 199 members and 2986 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X