300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In your face

I stopped a car last night for speeding 55 in a 45. Two black males inside the vehicle and the driver passes his black and mild over to his passenger when I approach and I collect his information. I write him a ticket for speeding, and he says "man I aint tryin to have no ticket" and holds it for a long time before actually signing it. When he finally does I go back and get in my car. When he leaves he spins his tires out, whips around and leaves the parking lot we were at by peeling out again. So I pull him over again and give him a reckless driving ticket. This time he has the black and mild and is leaning out the window (not a great deal) but enough to blow the smoke right in my face. Didn't really know what to do about it, so I just finished the citation and kept my cool. I did get an adrenaline dump I guess because it was threatening in nature to me and I was ready for him to try something. He got my boss's name and number and said "I was the best cop ever". I figured still being new I'd save my smartass "well if Im the best cop ever I guess youll have good things to tell my boss then" comment. Gave him the citation and went 10-8. He will still leaning out the window yelling at me when I drove away. Anything you guys would have done differently?

make him put the cigar out while you are talking to him and if he drops it write him for littering.

Comment

Agreed. For officer safety purposes, have him put out the cigar until the conclusion of your stop. And don't forget to write notes on the back of the cite or in your notebook!

Comment

If he said no?

Comment

Keep your cool and ask again a little more forcefully...
          The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Reckless is a misd. Careless is a civil where I am from. Misd. are arrestable. Get him out, pat him down, cuff him up and put him in your car. Then search subsequent to the arrest and find what you can. take your time, call for an additional unit, 30 or 40 minutes is not unreasonable. Get his buddy out and pat him down, ID him what not. Put him in a car for a while and let him know its his buddies fault. Better yet make him walk away. Giving him a 40 minute head start. Arrest him for what you find if anything . If not cite and release with bond and a court date. The bond is to make sure he comes to court.

The black and mild thing just makes it that much more fun. If your lucky he will resist because he doesnt think you can arrest for a driving misd. Then you have a felony. People talk there way into jail everyday.
            It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

we specificly cant arrest for reckless in ok

Comment

With you being new and all, did that 'Black N Mild' have a super-sweet smell? You know what I'm asking about, right?

EDJ
                "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Ill do ya one better... I wrote a kid a curfew ticket and then he mouthed off to me so I wrote him another one for not having a headlight on his bike after dark.
                  War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
                  John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Comment

Originally posted by Cypher69 View Post
                    If he said no?

That's a very good question. You could tell your driver, that the citation won't start, until the cigar gets put out. If he refuses, and causes you delay, I suppose you could arrest him for delaying, assuming your state has such a law. Is that somewhere your willing to go?

If the guy is seated in his car, I personally wouldn't have a problem with him smoking, but that's just me. If on the other hand, the guy gets out(which he shouldn't be doing anyway) then the stogy goes out...period!
                    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop View Post
                      That's a very good question. You could tell your driver, that the citation won't start, until the cigar gets put out. If he refuses, and causes you delay, I suppose you could arrest him for delaying, assuming your state has such a law. Is that somewhere your willing to go?

If the guy is seated in his car, I personally wouldn't have a problem with him smoking, but that's just me. If on the other hand, the guy gets out(which he shouldn't be doing anyway) then the stogy goes out...period!
                      We cant arrest him for delaying that I know of, and he was sitting in his car, but he was leaning halfway out the window just to blow it in my face. And El Diablo, it wasnt marijuana just a black and mild, it wasn't illegal, just annoying. And with him coming out of the window like that, I took it as threating due to his harsh tone and demeanor.

Comment

Question - In your state (OK?), if you would have asked the driver to put out the cigar, as you perceive it to be an officer safety issue, and he does not, would that constitute resisting an officer without violence?

Comment

Personally, I think you did fine. Sometimes you have to pick and choose your battles and unless he stuck his arm out at you with the lit end to your face, I don't consider smoking a real 'officer safety' issue. He was trying to push your buttons, to force you to do something and you showed remarkable restraint/professionalism. At the very least while he was taking his time to sign the citation you could have asked him if he was refusing to sign as you have waited long enough. If he didn't answer you or put the pen to paper, you probably then could have taken him into custody for the original violation.

Ask a hundred people and get a hundred different answers...but I say it sounds like it turned out fine.
                          Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I agree with ther last post. Pick and choose you battles. No matter what he says or how many puffs of the black n mild he got off....know who gets the last laugh? You. Don't confuse ahving the final say with saying the last word. We may not always get the last word....but we ALWAYS get the final say in the matter. He got both his tickets, yeah yeah your a hard ***, have a nice night see you in court.

Comment

Originally posted by Cypher69 View Post
                              We cant arrest him for delaying that I know of, and he was sitting in his car, but he was leaning halfway out the window just to blow it in my face. And El Diablo, it wasnt marijuana just a black and mild, it wasn't illegal, just annoying. And with him coming out of the window like that, I took it as threating due to his harsh tone and demeanor.
                              With him being threatening, I would have gotten him out of the car (after getting another unit enroute) and searched them to be sure there weren't any weapons. Then, because he's being a jackass, would have written every ticket I could have thought of.

I'm not a jerk, really. But, I am a big believer in getting more bees with honey than vinegar. If someone wants to be an ***, I'll be happy to treat em as such. I give breaks to almost everyone I deal with when messing with traffic, but as soon as I detect hostility, forget it. Not because I'm trying to toss weight around, but to show people they need to respect us. If people lose respect for us (any more than they already have), then they start pushing limits, which eventually becomes deadly.
                              For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
                              Faith issues
                              Challenging hardcore atheism
                              Reasonable Faith

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2850 users online. 164 members and 2686 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X