Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lefty hand gun

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Lefty hand gun

    For you lefties, what is your preferred service hand gun? And your back-up? I would like to hear your reasonings why you choose what you chose (that is if you had a choice!)

    Thanks in advance.


    *I apologize, this post should have been in equipment & tactical.
    Last edited by kcop1; 05-27-2007, 06:44 PM. Reason: posted in wrong area

  • #2
    Well, I have the HK USP .45 and I love it. I chose it since most departments allow it as an on-duty weapon, it is accurate and reliable, and it makes a big friggin hole when I shoot something. The safety/decocker lever can be switched from righty (out of the box) to lefty. They even have an ambidextrous safety lever available. The gun is expensive, but very worth it. As for the back-up, it's a S&W model 640-1 .38/357.

    Comment


    • #3
      GLOCK 22 with M3 light attachement(back ups are -depending on how I feel- model #36 S&W 2" .38 or the S&W 908 9mm) my GLOCK has a left handed magazine release,but other than that-once you learn how to fire a handgun/pistol ,it really doesn't matter.I started with a Beretta 92FS(9mm) and the only modification was change over of the mag release and surefire grips with built in laser.currently have an 8045 beretta(.45 cal) for off duty and admin/UC duties.I don't think it makes a difference whether you are "southpaw" or not,as long as you can satisfactorily operate (fire ) the weapon and be proficient in its deployment.I'm leaning toward later on deploying a Sig sauer(either .40 cal or .45 cal) as my primary weapon,although I like the front/rear sights on the GLOCK better.....
      Last edited by DOAcop38; 05-28-2007, 06:24 PM.
      "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
        I'm leaning toward later on deploying a Sig sauer(either .40 cal or .45 cal) as my primary weapon,although I like the front/rear sights on the GLOCK better.....
        I just checked out the new Smith and Wesson M&P. They have ambi slide releases on them. Not a bad thing for lefties. Off the topic a bit, but DOA if you're looking at replacing sights on you're personally owned (dept approved) duty weapon check out: www.truglosights.com. They make a fiber-optic/tritium combo that is amazingly bright! It's available for Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks, etc...
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by IMachU View Post
          Well, I have the HK USP .45 and I love it. I chose it since most departments allow it as an on-duty weapon, it is accurate and reliable, and it makes a big friggin hole when I shoot something. The safety/decocker lever can be switched from righty (out of the box) to lefty. They even have an ambidextrous safety lever available. The gun is expensive, but very worth it. As for the back-up, it's a S&W model 640-1 .38/357.
          I noticed something- doesn't the County authorize firearms depending on research and approval by risk mgm't? We noticed that it was an "issue" here in the city of L.A.(LAX and Ports PDs went to the subsonic 147 gr JHP bullet BEFORE LAPD was authorized,and LAPD made a big stink about it as they were still using the 115 gr bullet.LAPD went .45 cal before we did,then we WENT .40 cal and GLOCK/SIG before they could-LAPD still won't authorize the Sig Sauer like Port and Airports do) I know that LASD won't authorize the GLOCK ( they don't like the trigger safety mechanism)-doesn't the same liability fall regardless of whether its LACOPS of LASD that gets into an OIS??? With Airport and Port PD ,they can elect to have the city represent them or retain private -contract - counsel from what I've seen. what exactly are the authorized firearms for both LACOPS and LASD????Are both still issuing the Beretta 92FS (or currently the Vertec and "nine -two") as the primary weapon?
          "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pulicords View Post
            I just checked out the new Smith and Wesson M&P. They have ambi slide releases on them. Not a bad thing for lefties. Off the topic a bit, but DOA if you're looking at replacing sights on you're personally owned (dept approved) duty weapon check out: www.truglosights.com. They make a fiber-optic/tritium combo that is amazingly bright! It's available for Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks, etc...
            thanks ,will check it out- were authorized to have the trijicon nite sight on our weapons,but someone told me the mepro makes brighter,longer lasting tactical nite sights......
            "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DOAcop38 View Post
              thanks ,will check it out- were authorized to have the trijicon nite sight on our weapons,but someone told me the mepro makes brighter,longer lasting tactical nite sights......
              Check em out. I've used all three. Trijicon was the first (I still like them) and I wasn't that impressed with the Mepros (not bright enough). The truglos are as bright in the dark as Trijcons, but outstandingly bright during the day due to the fiber optics!
              "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

              Comment


              • #8
                I just finished researching the SW MP and it looks pretty sweet, especially because of the ambidex options.

                I found out that I won't be able to carry that because the department that will be hiring me uses SIGs (9mm and .45) for on duty weapon.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Sig-Sauer makes excellent weapons. Although they don't have ambi-decocking levers or slide levers, their magazine releases are reversible. I'm sure you'll be happy with either caliber weapon made by them.
                  "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

                  Comment

                  MR300x250 Tablet

                  Collapse

                  What's Going On

                  Collapse

                  There are currently 6248 users online. 337 members and 5911 guests.

                  Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                  Welcome Ad

                  Collapse
                  Working...
                  X