Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Job + IRS

Got a question for the veterans...

I been starting to work alot of off duty jobs at various places providing security or directing traffic.

Average pay for the off duty are about 100.00 for several hours.

Does anyone know when I have to start claiming some of the earnings I make. I heard from some friends that when I start making over 600.00 at a particular job, I need to owe some back at the end of tax season.

Some jobs makes me fill out the W-9 forms and some doesn't. With the job that doesn't make me fill out the W9, is that the ones i have to start claimning at the end of the season if I get over a certain amount of earnings.

Any inputs will be appreicated.

Dont want to get in trouble with the IRS.

Off Duty & IRS

Originally posted by Swole2005 View Post
    Got a question for the veterans...

I been starting to work alot of off duty jobs at various places providing security or directing traffic.

Average pay for the off duty are about 100.00 for several hours.

Does anyone know when I have to start claiming some of the earnings I make. I heard from some friends that when I start making over 600.00 at a particular job, I need to owe some back at the end of tax season.

Some jobs makes me fill out the W-9 forms and some doesn't. With the job that doesn't make me fill out the W9, is that the ones i have to start claimning at the end of the season if I get over a certain amount of earnings.

Any inputs will be appreicated.

Dont want to get in trouble with the IRS.
    Let your last sentence in your post be your guide. I'm retired from the Alabama Dept of Public Safety. As an agency, it has very strict rules regarding Trooper O/T. You're limited to a max of twenty hours per week with a private employer, and very restricted in the type of work permitted. Obtaining a W-9 is highly recommended. The Department provides numerious opportunities for authorized O/T. Examples include, extra security at the State Capitol, on weekends/holidays. Highway construction projects. Extra enforcement on holidays, and programs such as "Click it or Ticket" Both Federal and State Income Taxes are deducted from these checks, so you don't to worry about "Uncle" come tax time.

Comment

Legally you owe on any that income, regardless of the amount. Your employer isn't required to file paperwork on amounts less than $600, so you are kind of on the honor system up to that point, like being paid in cash.

You want my advise about staying clear of the IRS? Get a CPA. Not your local McTaxes, a real CPA, and use the same one every year. They will know you, your situation, and will handle an audit for you in the event that it occurs.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

You owe taxes on all of it, whether it's above board or under the table.

Comment

put a little bit of the off-duty coin aside for tax time...

you'll get 1099's from each employer for any job which paid over $600 or so.

when you do your taxes, you need to file your regular W2 and then register as self-employed/contractor for the traffic and security gigs.(1099) You pay your tax bracket % and then also your social security wages and self-employment tax on the 1099 stuff... I owed quite a bit last year.

it kind of put a damper in the off duty work for me, so now I try and limit it to city jobs, or jobs where taxes are taken out. I figured a job which paid me $35/hr was more like $20/hour when all was said and done.

Comment

I used to work a TON of off-duty gigs back in the day when I was a uniformed cop (i'm now a federal agent and 'off-duty' LE work is a no no.) At the time, it was nice to make all the money. But I got killed at tax time with all the 1099's. As another poster relayed, I would recommend working department OT where it is aprt of your regular paycheck or work some place that takes out the taxes. I know those jobs may not be as fruitful, but you'll be thankful around tax time getting some money back instead of owing several thousand dollars...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5055 users online. 339 members and 4716 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X