300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Change

I was only hired by my agency a little less than a year ago, and I had the opportunity to take a position with another department much closer to home. I have been making a good size commute every day, and we were about to put the house up until this opportunity presented itself.

I didn't want to risk irking my current department until I was sure I had the new job. Anyway, I was yanked into the office yesterday for some 'splain'in.

In the end, it worked out, but I thought I was going to choke when he asked me about this new department. I think he thought I wouldn't give notice or anything, but I am basically giving him a months notice, LOL!

Then my partner (the old salty guy) and reminded me not to put in my resignation letter until ALL of the backgrounds and stuff had been done, just in case something kinked me up (which there isn't, but better safe than sorry).

Anyone ever had that in a lateral?
    Last edited by Phlip; 05-25-2007, 04:17 PM.
    Invisible cows control my mind.

Job Change

Originally posted by Phlip View Post
    I was only hired by my agency a little less than a year ago, and I had the opportunity to take a position with another department much closer to home. I have been making a good size commute every day, and we were about to put the house up until this opportunity presented itself.

I didn't want to risk irking my current department until I was sure I had the new job. Anyway, I was yanked into the office yesterday for some 'splain'in.

In the end, it worked out, but I thought I was going to choke when he asked me about this new department. I think he thought I wouldn't give notice or anything, but I am basically giving him a months notice, LOL!

Then my partner (the old salty guy) and reminded me not to put in my resignation letter until ALL of the backgrounds and stuff had been done, just in case something kinked me up (which there isn't, but better safe than sorry).

If you're wondering if your new department will do a Background on you, the answer is yes. It's really pretty common. Once you know for sure you've got the new job, give at least two week's notice to the current agency. Good luck!!

Comment

Well, I change from a blue uniform to a brown uniform starting in July. I'm pretty excited, as I won't have to relocate.

God loves me, in the worst time for finding a full time Law Enforcement job in the State of Michigan, I've found two within the same year.

Though it's funny that in less than a year, your department becomes your second family.

Comment

Congrats! I know you will be happy. Take the experience gained, and put it to work at the new agency....just, for a word of advice, act as if you have no experience. That way you won't be seen as a "salty boot" right off the bat. Good luck!

We have quite a few folks on my department with a BUNCH of years jumping ship to other agencies. You have less than a year with your current agency. The stress on our folks with well over 10 years on the job is gonna be enormous compared to your situation!

Comment

I'm going to take your "pretend your new" advice and run with it.

Comment

You should always have a job in place to go to before quitting another. In other words, have the offer on the table before you leave or make hints of leaving the other. I wouldn't have said anything to my current employer until it was time to turn in the notice. If that required "splainin" then I'd just quit that day. A job's a job.

Comment

When I made the transition from local to federal I ran into the same situation. When I heard the government was working on my BI, I gave my supervisor the heads up to expect a visit. It all worked out just fine, and they appreciated me coming to them instead of the reverse...

Comment

Well, it's all over and done with now. I can't wait to start my new place. Much closer to home. Plus being a Dep Sheriff I have a huge jurisdiction to play in.

My buddies at the PD tell me I'll be trading in my Officer Blues for a "Poop Suit" LMAO!

Comment

Can't believe you went from Blue to Brown....

Comment

I know this will sound really hokey, but basically this is THE department I have always wanted to work for. I grew up in the county, and these men and women were what I grew up knowing as the local law enforcement. So I grew up not only thinking I wanted to be a cop, but that I wanted to be one of THESE GUYS.

Like I said, it's hokey, but it's truth. It's the honor of my life to have been selected by them. So I guess I better not screw it up huh!

Comment

I know this will sound really hokey, but basically this is THE department I have always wanted to work for. I grew up in the county, and these men and women were what I grew up knowing as the local law enforcement. So I grew up not only thinking I wanted to be a cop, but that I wanted to be one of THESE GUYS.

Like I said, it's hokey, but it's truth. It's the honor of my life to have been selected by them. So I guess I better not screw it up huh!
                      Congrats Phlip! I am waiting for that Dep Sheriff spot to open in the county where I really want to work (that "last job" kind of mentality) while I wear the blues of a city PD with no full time openings. Torn if they would have a spot because the crew I work with now is great and would be a reason to stay. Hope you enjoy the new job. Stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by OWI Enforcer View Post
                        Can't believe you went from Blue to Brown....

And what's wrong with that? By the way, it's not a Sheriff's Department. It's a Sheriff's Office. That is most places, where the Sheriff is elected.

Which means the SO is not a "department" of any other governmental unit in the county. In the city, you've got the Police Department, the Parks & Rec department, the Sanitation Dept., etc.

Edited to add: In my state, the agency who sponsers you through the academny has a two-year commitment on you, by law. If you bail before that, you have to pay the agency for the academny. Might want to check that out.
                        Last edited by Gene L; 07-16-2007, 07:57 AM.
                        "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

No commitments. It's pre-service only in Michigan, and I'm a lateral transfer basically.

I love working for the Office of the Sheriff.

Comment

I came back to Ohio from Texas after being gone for about 12 years first in th military, then in the civilian police world. When I was going back and forth from TX to OH, I had a couple of sergeants that I kept in the loop. The department I was in had a high percentage of officers who transitioned to other agencies. When I got hired on, I got about one week notice that the academy was going to start. The seargent pulled me aside, told me to take vacation time to get ready and go. He took my resignation and put it in the safe. When I started the academy, I was still carrying my badge and commission from the other state, because I was on vacation. I called him had had himi submitt the resignation, but because of the way in whih it was done, I was considered to have given my two weeks notice and was eligible for rehire if things went south. They didn't, but it was good to see that sarge was taking care of me, even though he didn't have to.

Comment

This is my experience going to one dept to another.

I've got approximately 2 yrs experience as a cop. I was working in a small department. I liked it there. The people were great, but management wasn't that appealing. After a while, I decided to look for a bigger department that offer more money. So, I ended up going to a bigger department for more $$.

I found out withing 2 weeks that I didn't like the bigger more $$ dept. I was more like a number rather than a partner/coworker. Everything you did was on your own, and I didn't like that. I mean I liked the $$$, but it wasn't worth it to me. Furthermore, I didn't have time to go to school to finish my BS.

So, I went back to my old smaller dept, and I'm back to school. Sometimes bigger and more $$ isn't better.

Anyways, I just wanted to say to not BURN YOUR BRIDGES when you leave. So just in case you don't like the new dept. you will be able to go back.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2847 users online. 164 members and 2683 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X