X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CruiserClass
    Forum Member
    • Sep 2006

What kid stuff do you keep in your car?

I learned the value of a snack in the car today as I had a 5 y/o who was abandoned and hadn't eaten for the majority of a day. I wish I'd had a bottle of water and maybe a little McDonald's toy kind of thing for the kid. Lucky for me he ate the snack and promptly passed out in my back seat, but he got me thinking about how to prepare for the next time.

So, what do you guys carry to help comfort young'uns?
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore
  • signal1
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2005

I have a couple stuffed animals in my gear bag that I always carry around with me. It is very comforting to a child and lets me earn their trust. I let them have them and just buy more. I always have them in my bag.
    "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

• Desert DPS
      No, it's NOT a warning...
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by signal1
      I have a couple stuffed animals in my gear bag that I always carry around with me. It is very comforting to a child and lets me earn their trust. I let them have them and just buy more. I always have them in my bag.

Same here. I have some stickers too. Kids love stickers!

We had gotten bags of stuffed animals to hand out during the holiday season last year. I wasn't able to hand out all of mine so as this year has progressed I gave them out at on traffic stops where there were small children. Lots of happy little tykes!

Comment

• deputy x 2
        forum member
        • Sep 2005

Our dept keeps the trunk stocked with stuffed animals.

I have many of times, stopped by Micky D's for a happy meal.

I keep a small supply of toys from the dollar store in my gear bag...just in case. And for the dogs who run in an out of traffic...a bag of snausages and pup a roni.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

• boardwurx
          I need a banned aide
          • Apr 2007

Good to see this side of the job..

SORRY ... I was looking through "New Posts" and this one caught my eye. I didn't notice what forum it was in. Thanks for waking me up Cruiser.

I am glad to see this thread.
          Last edited by boardwurx; 05-15-2007, 04:30 PM.
          Milwaukee PD

Comment

• CruiserClass
            Forum Member
            • Sep 2006

Hey Board, check your PM's. Be mindful of public vs. LE only forums here, as you seem to mean well and I'd hate to see you get hemmed up over a simple mistake.

I appreciate the responses guys. I'm off tomorrow so I'll try to grab some stuffed toys at the dollar store.
            I miss you, Dave.
            http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

• aftermath
              Forum Member
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by CruiserClass
              I learned the value of a snack in the car today as I had a 5 y/o who was abandoned and hadn't eaten for the majority of a day. I wish I'd had a bottle of water and maybe a little McDonald's toy kind of thing for the kid. Lucky for me he ate the snack and promptly passed out in my back seat, but he got me thinking about how to prepare for the next time.

So, what do you guys carry to help comfort young'uns?
              This is honestly a cool deal. Not many officers where I'm at are like that with the local kids unless they are the DARE program officers. Personally I go based off age. I keep some trading cards from all things like Yu-gi-oh, Baseball, Japanamation, and then a few barbie's for the little girls. A gift goes a long way to making them feel like you care. I'd have to say that is the best part of my job when I can make a crying/lonely/etc child smile since I seem to always relate that to my son. Good times.

Comment

• Bearcat357
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

My last uniformed agency got with the local women's business group and they donated teddy bears to our PD so that we could keep a few in the car for kids....

I also had bottle water and MRE's in my trunk......and if I had a kid that was hungry, I would hit Mickey D's and get a Happy Meal before going to the Juvy Office, Family Services, or the station.......

Comment

• signal1
                  Forum Member
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Bearcat357
                  My last uniformed agency got with the local women's business group and they donated teddy bears to our PD so that we could keep a few in the car for kids....

I also had bottle water and MRE's in my trunk......and if I had a kid that was hungry, I would hit Mickey D's and get a Happy Meal before going to the Juvy Office, Family Services, or the station.......
                  Bearcat, PLEASE don't be given anyone a MRE. We are here to help them, not stop them from taking a crap for the next week!!!
                  "In God we trust, all others we run NCIC"

Comment

• aftermath
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by signal1
                    Bearcat, PLEASE don't be given anyone a MRE. We are here to help them, not stop them from taking a crap for the next week!!!
                    Thought he was preparing them for the upcoming "Bush Draft Weekend". All kids old enough to handle an MRE get a rifle, ammo and basic training en route to the big sandbox.

I can honestly say, I could never with a straight face give a child an MRE if there is a McD's around the corner.

Remember though, Bear Cat is one of those Virgina Mountain people who can live off tree bark and shrubs.

Comment

• SRT936
                      Barefoot Ninja
                      • Dec 2003

Keep a couple stuffed animals in the trunk, plus a baggie of "junior deputy" badges. I usually "swear" the kids in when handing out the badges. Kids love those things.
                      \

Comment

• Bearcat357
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

A. I am from the Midwest....so please don't associate me with the hillbillies around here....I have enough issues in my background....

B. Food is food....I have feed a few MREs and they were happy to have what I gave them......

C. I tend to hit Mickey D's when I have someone in need like that.

I have also found out that Mickey D's works well for hungry suspects as well......as they will fess up if you treat them well (most times....but you have a few that won't.....)....

Comment

• Irishluck31
                          Forum Member
                          • Nov 2006

I keep a half pint of Jack and a pack of reds for the kiddies just incase.

Kidding, I always have peanut M&Ms in my car because I live on them. I share when I have to. Other than that, no real food, but the city is small enough that I can get what I need in about 5 minutes.

I love the little plastic badges. I have a bag of them to give out to the kids if needed. I like children, its their parent I cant stand.
                          It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

• aftermath
                            Forum Member
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Bearcat357
                            A. I am from the Midwest....so please don't associate me with the hillbillies around here....I have enough issues in my background....

B. Food is food....I have feed a few MREs and they were happy to have what I gave them......

C. I tend to hit Mickey D's when I have someone in need like that.

I have also found out that Mickey D's works well for hungry suspects as well......as they will fess up if you treat them well (most times....but you have a few that won't.....)....
                            Hey, anything south of Kankakee in Illinois is hillbilly as far as Chicagoans are concerned. Anyways, gotta give you the shyte since you came out with the MRE's. True though, food is food and when hungry you honestly wouldn't care. Do you get the hungry suspects the happy meals too? I mean, I'd have to say the toy that comes with them would be the selling point to earning their trust/story.

Comment

• JJS
                              Wise Beyond His Years
                              • Jan 2005

I just let them play with my Glock.
                              I'm sorry, Bruce. These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19184 users online. 48 members and 19136 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...