300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this hurt a case?

I just came back from days off and I found a letter on my desk. It was from the state victims assistance fund and they wanted information about an indecent libertiess case I am working where a 25 year old male(registered sex offender) is having sex with a 15 year old female that is a little slow mentally. Well after a little digging and a talk with the chief I found out that the mother (one of our local meth heads) applied for the benefits for her daughter. The bad thing is I am no where near being done with my investigation I haven't even interviewed the suspect yet for god sakes! We are a very small dept and we do our own investigations on top of our patrol duties so finding time to get everthing done is sometimes a pain. Tell me what you think am I just being paranoid.
    BTW I am interviewing the suspect tonight he has been out of town a a family funeral.

The state can get a continuance for more time to prepare a case. How long as the case been active?
    sigpic

I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

Comment

Will this hurt a case

Get with your immediate supervisor or the Chief, and run the request by them. My gut tells me to do the following. Reply to the Victim's Compensation Commission in writing, to the effect that the case is still under investigation, and untill your investigation is complete, no information is being released. What it boils down to is this. The Victim's Commision has it's priorities, you have yours. Your priorities should trump anyone else's, in that the purpose of your inquiry is to determine if a crime has been commited, and if so, to make an arrest, and submit the case for prosecution.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        Get with your immediate supervisor or the Chief, and run the request by them. My gut tells me to do the following. Reply to the Victim's Compensation Commission in writing, to the effect that the case is still under investigation, and untill your investigation is complete, no information is being released. What it boils down to is this. The Victim's Commision has it's priorities, you have yours. Your priorities should trump anyone else's, in that the purpose of your inquiry is to determine if a crime has been commited, and if so, to make an arrest, and submit the case for prosecution.
        Agreed, inform them that since the case is under investigation, you cannot comment or provide information at this time PERIOD.
        law dog

Comment

For some reason I want to say that victims compensation can't be filed for until the case is resolved through the court system. But, I can't remember if it's just Nebraska that does it that way. Anyways, I agree with whoever said have the Chief or supervisor do a written reply denying the info.
          Sometimes, doing the right thing means p***ing off the bosses.

"And shepherds we shall be, for thee my lord for thee."

Originally posted by dontknowwhy
          I still think troopers and deputies who work in the middle of no where with essentially no back up are the 'men among men' of the LEO world.
          Originally posted by weinerdog2000
          as far as your social experiment, if we cant film you then you cant film us, we will arrest you for obstruction of our freedom.

Comment

In louisiana you can apply for it when the incident happens
            ‎"I'm angry. It's okay. I'll process my anger. I love myself. Whoosah.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5662 users online. 313 members and 5349 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X