300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cop or Not?

I'm not real certain where this should be posted, so I figured here was about the best place.

My question is this:
    Am I a cop or am I not?

Now I'll explain. I'm a reserve officer. I had to pass all the POST tests, I had to go through an academy, I have full police powers when on duty...yet I can't carry off-duty.

Now I've never worked for a military reserve or anything like that, so maybe you guys have some insite that I don't.

What happens if I'm standing in line and some SOB pulls a gun on the cashier?

My department is all for me going through a K-9 program...the thing is its on my own penny, I have to get the dog and get it trained...anyone looked into this? They aren't cheap. Well I'm willing to do that because I'll also be using the dog for the company that I work for. Ok so that'd be beneficial to all parties involved. I can deal with that. But when I am recognized off duty, out of uniform...what then? It's already happened though it was a friendly encounter.

Should I get a private citizens conceal carry permit?

A little advice would be appreciated.

Thanks all.

PS I've been a reserve for 3 years, but its been a roller coaster ride and I don't believe I've gotten the full range of experiences yet...that's why I chose this particular message board to post in.
    "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Yes, you're a police officer through and through but by policy only when on duty.

Should someone pull a gun on someone at the supermarket, the best thing you can do is be a good witness and that would go for anyone who carries off duty as well. Action is faster than reaction and you and everyone else could end up dead or hurt if you decide to draw down (or attempt to) in the middle of an armed robbery.

For your own protection, and not to crush crime in progress, I definitely would get a concealed carry license, but again, only for your and your family's protection.....not so you can shout, "Stop, police" because you wouldn't be covered by your agency should you be hurt or you hurt someone else be hurt by you. Any agency will always try to cover it's own butt.

Be safe
    Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

The other night one of our reserves stated that the "levels" of Peace Officers in CO have been whacked. A Cop is a cop is a cop.

I'm not sure if not being allowed to carry off-duty was a CRS ordeal, or your agency's policy though...

Comment

Originally posted by Arkine View Post
        Should I get a private citizens conceal carry permit?
        Yes. By law, every law abiding citizen (with your background) is legally allowed to carry with a permit. You might as well take advantage of that.

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all.

I haven't heard of CO throwing out the different "levels" at least not yet, seems like that stuff is slow to reach this area. I'll have to look into it.

I also agree with being a good witness in the situation that I mentioned, I just meant that if the situation took a turn for the worst. I just don't like having no defense at all, really I probably should have gotten a conceal carry a long time ago.

Actually I don't see why more people that can carry, don't. I mean they fight to keep the right but many of them don't use it. Strange really.

Anyhow, thanks again.
          "When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My department is all for me going through a K-9 program...the thing is its on my own penny, I have to get the dog and get it trained...anyone looked into this? They aren't cheap

As a K9 Officer for over 10 years I can't imagine I would want to work for a department who wants this. Some questions to ponder...
            Where will the department be if and when you are sued?
            Will you get FSLA compensation due you for care and maintance of canine?
            Who will pay the expences?

You are understating it "they aren't cheap:

And in my book: you are a police officer

Comment

Cop or not?

I not conversant with Colorado Law on this point. In other words, I'm not certain what police powers it confers on a Reserve Officer when he/she is not on duty. The second, and in my mind equal concern, is your department's policy concerning your peace officer status when off duty. This is a very important consideration in regards to the department backing you in an off-duty situation of the type(or any type) you mentioned. Obtaining a CCW Permit might be a good option, but it's also well to consider that any action you took while carrying, would be that of a private person. I'd like to be more helpful and encouraging, but I"m afraid we're both up against the realities of the law and dept policy. You could consider talking to your Reserve Co-ordinator, or Chief concerning your authority, but that's up to you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2778 users online. 153 members and 2625 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X