300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just got let go....

Yeah so it happened today. I was on my one year probationary period and they let me go because I went out lastnight, and there was an "odor of alcohol" on my person and had roughly .01 on the breathalyzer. Thing is, I was not even on duty this morning. I Had court for an hour and a half. I drove my own personal vehicle into work today, was freshly showered, shaved, and in a clean pressed uni. My eyes were red/bloodshot...whatever you prefer. Other then that I guess I looked as good as you can for being up at 7am in the morning when your used to sleeping till 1pm.

I was upset at first...but then after I called a bunch of the guys that I am friends with who are also cops....they told me not to worry about it. They said pretty much the same thing..that being "they wanted to can you so they did...there was nothing you could do about it."

I tink one of the partial reason's they "disliked" me was because I was outspoken about how the old *** fleet of squads needed to be updated. I am talking about 96 and 97 models in there. The newest I beleive they have is an 01....??? Lets not mention how one of the cars died on me in the middle of a road a few days ago.

Then one of the SGT's saw me typing on the forum here a few nights ago about ISP...he probably read my post and saw that I plan on leaving for ISP whenever I get the chance. I am sure that did not help me either.

I guess what irks me the most in the end is there have been numerous instances of guys getting away with a whole hell of a lot worse then I ever did..and nothing happened to them ever.

No sympathy here!!

You made your own decision to appear in court in that condition. By the way, court is "on-duty"!:
    Probation worked as it should!!
    Last edited by grumpyirishman; 05-15-2007, 07:27 AM.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

That sucks...but you made your own bed. Few things, if you have court...you are on duty (as irish said). Also, you were in your uniform (bad look on the PD) and you did have alcohol in your system. WE ARE HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD. It was probably an OWI case too. So you show up trying to fight a guy in a drunk driving case smelling like booze...NICE!!

Also, you were typing on the internet, on duty, where your Sgt could see you and you were still on probation...good idea, think about your actions. Also, you are the new guy...dont say a F^&KING thing about the PD, the cars, the equipment openly to anyone. Keep that to yourself for a minimum of 3 years. You have to prove you fit in...when you are new...keep to yourself about the PD and why you dont like it...RANT and RAVE about why you do like it.

Have fun trying to explain to new jobs that you got canned for showing up to court with alcohol in your system, no matter how little it was. One final thing before I go, you were happier when your friends said "they wanted to fire you so they did". Dosnt make much sense.

Comment

Well, good luck to you.

Lessons I take from this:

1. Don't go out a drinkin' the night before work (court = work)

2. Don't be outspoken about anything while you are still a new fish

3. Don't do personal stuff on the internet while on duty, especially on probation

4. Don't let your current agency know you plan on leaving them as soon as you can (because they'll help you out the door)

Comment

Court is work, not just court.

If I plan on carrying a gun, I am 100% sure there is no alcohol in my system. If that means I stop drinking 12 hrs before, or not drinking at all. My job is more important than one more beer.

Comment

One thing I can tell you is shut your mouth at any other agency you might get on with...that more than anything probably helped them decide to get rid of you. Being new gives you the right to absolutely NO complaints...at least not out loud and not to anyone you work with
            Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

Wait...so you got let go at the END of your probtionary period?

I can't figure out how it makes sense for an agency to keep somebody after FTO with plans to axe them at the one year mark...Sounds like a pretty costly way of doing business.

Regardless, I hope you learn from your mistakes (boozing and openly complaining). Remember the nail that sticks up will get hammered down.

Comment

C'mon, you're a rookie. All you need to do is make it through probation. Then you can complain like the rest of us. Most departments have the "one year probation" clause to dismiss members who they discover will be a problem child in the future (excessive force, crashes, bad morale, etc). Why did you not know this?

A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday. Jonathan Swift 1667-1745

It's only a conspiracy when your party is not in power.

Comment

I'm middle aged and a proby. I don't get off my first year until next year. Younger people have to learn that you are the low man on the totum pole, and everything slides down. You keep your mouth shut, do what your told, ask questions learn learn learn from the vets. I was in the military and if I had booze on my breath they would have sent me home and wrote me up. Do not drink and alcoholic beverages 8 hours prior to work/court.

Alot of police work is Common Sense.
                  If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Comment

rt,

I've read an occasional post or two of yours, and as I recall, you were recently trying to get into an academy. Now fast forward two months, you're a sworn LEO, on FTO, who just got canned Are there still departments out there, who put cops out on the street with no formal academy training?

Not that I doubt your exploits, but you seem rather calm for a person who just committed career suicide...
                    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Originally posted by rtaylor00 View Post
                      Thing is, I was not even on duty this morning. I Had court for an hour and a half.
                      Court = on duty. Don't show up to work with booze in your system.
                      I tink one of the partial reason's they "disliked" me was because I was outspoken about how the old *** fleet of squads needed to be updated. I am talking about 96 and 97 models in there. The newest I beleive they have is an 01....??? Lets not mention how one of the cars died on me in the middle of a road a few days ago.
                      Probationarys really shouldn't stir the pot like that and not expect to ruffle some feathers.
                      Then one of the SGT's saw me typing on the forum here a few nights ago about ISP...he probably read my post and saw that I plan on leaving for ISP whenever I get the chance. I am sure that did not help me either.
                      Using a work computer for personal use? Grounds for disciplinary action where I'm from.
                      I guess what irks me the most in the end is there have been numerous instances of guys getting away with a whole hell of a lot worse then I ever did..and nothing happened to them ever.
                      Are they probationary officers? Big difference.

Bottom line, learn from your mistakes. Your actions did you in. You should have known better.

Comment

This is a great post. I love it when people cant even make it through probation. Its very funny to me that sombody would take the time to get a job then take even more time to screw it up.

You think the guys at the PD who have been there for a while did know their cars suck. Wonder if that stuff coming from a 25 year old rookie kinda boiled their pot a bit. You probably got what you should have got. Cocky and confident comes at top pay, not starting pay.

Need to change your profile to "The Fired" Thats what you are now. Good luck with ISP.
                        It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Geez, rtaylor, you sound like alot of the people we run into on the streets every day --- "these ain't my pants, Officer," "someone else put that meth pipe in my pocket," etc. Must be someone else's fault, eh? The "man" got you down? Blame it on bad jeans, poor parenting, child abuse, whatever.

Get your act together. Take it like a man and learn from it. Don't blame others for your own stupidity.
                          He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
                          -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                          -- Hemingway

Comment

Who in their right mind would post the initial post to this thread? I'm thinking this is a set up, and if someone is to provide some sympathy to the initial post, it will crystallize another's attitude and/or opinion of LEOs.

But now I've gone through some of his other posts; I'm thinking who ever was responsible for his training left out a few things and what happened, happened out of ignorance.

How does one come clean like this in such a public way and expect to continue in this profession?
                            Last edited by comcen; 05-12-2007, 03:09 PM. Reason: added context
                            "If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead & rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing."-Ben Franklin

"Once a Marine, Always a Marine!"

Comment

Wow.....that sucks....is that what you were expecting to hear? Sorry. First off, as far as my department goes, when on duty or in uniform, anything above a .00 is grounds for termination.

Secondly, I would never post on this site in my department, especially within sight of a sgt, let alone my plans to make the great escape.

Third, you were new, still on probation, and you were making waves? Jeez dude....wow, you made your own bed there.

Don't know about you, but I'm a rookie, and still on probation, but one thing I learned from the USMC, and that's helping me now, is keep your mouth shut, try to be invisible, and don't bitch to anyone, especially the Sgt's and Lt's. Just do what your told by whoever in that department. I plan on surviving, and also LOVE working for my department.

I may have had to supply a lot of my own equipment, and drive a POS squad, but I love it, because it's a privilege to work this job, not a right. I can honestly say that I don't mind jumping out of bed at 5 am, and that I am excited to go to work.
                              You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6766 users online. 363 members and 6403 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X