Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you overcome the fear of getting hurt ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fear

Fear is a constant companion for Cops. It's how you deal with the fear that makes the difference. An Officer can also use fear to his advantage in many tactical situations. Coupled with proper training, experience, and the use of common sense, fear can be one more tool in an Officer's personal arsenal. John Wayne once defined courage in the following manner. "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway". Be very skeptical of any one who tells you, he's never been afraid. I'd also suggest you not hang around some one like that for too long. In making a decision to apply to a law enforcement agency, factor fear into the equation. Should you decide that the fear you experience is too much to overcome, don't apply. You're no less of a person for making that decision.

Comment

This may seem odd....

Go to a police funeral.

I don't know how to explain it, but I went to my first one recently and it has given me a new sense of calm focus and confidence when on the job. After I saw all of those cops come together to mourn a brother whom many had never met, I finally got it... When you are a cop and you need help, it will come, and it will come from hundreds and thousands of miles away if that's what it takes. That knowlage means the world when you are out there.
      War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
      John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Comment

In addition to all that has been said, I seriously believe that the lack or absence of fear generates complacency in officers.
        "The world is a dangerous place; not because of those who do evil, but because of the good men that do nothing."
        -A. Einstein

“As a man thinks in his heart, so he is.”
        -(Proverbs 23:7)

Comment

Dislocate/Fracture your shoulder on the job, you will be a lot more careful to not get hurt again.
          DISCLAIMER: All opinions are mine, they do not reflect the opinions or position of my employing agency nor do they reflect any position of my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Artic_storm View Post
            Well long story short I really think I want to be a cop.

However After seeing the Very bad things that happen everyday to you guys I am having second thoughts. I do not want to put my Family and stuff in harms way.

Any Ideas ?
            Thanks for the help

Andy

Keeping fear close and watching vids/reading stories of 'what went wrong' isn't being morbid, it's me keeping myself on my toes. I feel the more of it I see, the more alert I remain. Most guys I know have family photos in their cars, I can only assume it's for the same reason I keep mine up: To realize I want to see them at the end of the shift and to do this, I need to keep my head up.
            For those who want to argue religion, my views are in the sig. This avoids days of repetition and is convenient. Thanks and good luck in your quest.

Answering Infidels
            Faith issues
            Challenging hardcore atheism
            Reasonable Faith

Comment

I find that I am way more afraid of being embarassed than hurt. I am afraid of getting involved in something ultra-high-stress and scream like a little girl into the radio. Of having someone get the upper hand on me. That's my fear. It has served me well for 24 (now 25) years. I think that is what works for me...makes me reherse in my head multiple scenarios and my reactions to them.

I've had my share of dings and dents, but the pain is never any worse than stuff that has happened to me off-duty.
              Last edited by rayder1; 06-07-2007, 02:57 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

personally and this may seem strange while i would hate for my wife and child to grow up without me, i take comfort knowing they are going to get a decent check to help take care of expenses.

I think i have more fear when i sit at home on my weekend and think abotu it then when iam actually working. kinda just switch into it has to be done and i just do.. course i have yet to be put in a life or death situation where the danger has been proven present and real. aka no 1 on 1's with a subj and gun or knife etc.

Granted i still dont wanan die but atleast if i die in this job my family is financially taken care of where as in another job, not so much. Course i hope i take him/her out with me to so my family dont have to deal with him/her in court.

Comment

Fear is your friend, it will keep you alive.

For me it was knowing that no matter what happened backup would be arriving eventually.
                  the only true rehabilitation starts with a needle............

Comment

I graduated and academy and started the job when I was 21, so I guess I didn't have any "fear". Haha.

I thought of it like this. If you're John Q Public and you call the police, do you want the officer to be too scared to do whatever he's got to do? No, so I don't think about it I just do what I gotta do.
                    "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." ~ Romans 13:4

Comment

However After seeing the Very bad things that happen everyday to you guys I am having second thoughts. I do not want to put my Family and stuff in harms way.

Any Ideas ?
                      Thanks for the help

Andy
                      Cops don't really get hurt that often. You stand a better chance of getting hurt driving to work than on the job. And you're trained, have a gun and hopefully a TAZER or at least a stick. And you should be wearing a BP vest.

I've never been afraid of getting hurt, so I can't answer your question. I've been afraid, several times, but physical injury didn't figure into it.
                      "Say hal-lo to my leetle frahnd!"

Comment

I say don't do it if you have 2nd thoughts. Do it when you know it's truly what you want, then you'll put forward your best effort.
                        "Do not draw me without honor"

"Do not sheath me without Justice!"

Comment

You can easily get hurt at any given moment either be it at home or at work. It's just common perspective that LEOs tend to get hurt more at work then if you were in any other profession. Granted that is true, but in any job, or any place you can fall down, get hit by car, get in fight, just depends on how you handle your fear (dont let panic overcome you), and face it. Every situation is different from each other no matter what.

Comment

I never really think about getting hurt. I usually never get scared either while something is going on until after its over when I have time to think about. Then Im like holy cow what just happened, then I get a little scared realizing what I just went through.
                            I'm sorry, Bruce. These boys get that syrup in 'em, they get all antsy in their pantsy.

Comment

Any Ideas ?
                              Thanks for the help

Andy
                              Drink Water, grab fear and put him back in your pocket. If you do get on, Be Polite, Be Professional, Have a plan to kill everyone you come in contact with.
                              When your fun ends, my fun begins

Comment

Been hurt a few times on the job. Been shot at a few times, both on the job and prior to getting on the job. As was posted by others, I never really think about it, and do the job as I was trained. Being prior military helps, and having confidence in your abilities and training. Not to the point of arrogance or overconfidence, but just knowing you are capable of dealing with almost any situation has a calming effect on its own. I guess it's an "old school" thing. BTDT and so forth. Too much other stuff to worry about. Most of the very bad things we see happen, are to other people. Not us. We respond to many traffic accidents, homicides, sexual assaults and so on. Most of us stand a better chance getting hurt at home (fixing our houses...) than on the job. Thinking back, most of the injuries I've sustained have been doing home improvement projects...
                                As far as "rights" are concerned; I look at them this way... I don't tell you what church to go to, and you don't tell me what kind of firearm I can own...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6331 users online. 363 members and 5968 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X