Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you overcome the fear of getting hurt ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you overcome the fear of getting hurt ?

Well long story short I really think I want to be a cop.

However After seeing the Very bad things that happen everyday to you guys I am having second thoughts. I do not want to put my Family and stuff in harms way.

Any Ideas ?
    Thanks for the help

Andy
    We remember the officers who we never really knew,
    Persons strong enough to answer the challenge are few,
    With heavy hearts we mourn the officers in eternal rest,
    There's more to these people than the badge on their chest.

Just one of those things. You either come face to face with it, and 'deal', or you don't, and look for other employment. "Very bad things" happen to you if you are just driving down the road, going to the mall, or sitting in class.

Fear is good. Fear lets you know that you better be on your toes and thinking.

Panic.....Panic kills. Panic is the handmaiden of fear. Controlling your fear allows you to eliminate and overcome the panic, which then allows you to do your job. It's just that simple.

Besides, you don't "greet" death. You repeatedly punch him in the throat as he drags you away.
    Best Regards,
    Zebra 305
    "Shots fired, shots fired..get me some goddam cars up here now!"
    Typical Henry Sector PG County radio traffic, circa 1996.

Comment

You don’t ever get over fear; you just learn to face it. The fear will help keep a person thinking of options. You now how people say “every thing was in slow motion”. That’s your brain think of options and when every thing happens so fast that your brain has no options. When we put the uniform on we do not become robots. Hopefully your training and experience will take over.
      "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

We all have fear however, as has been previously stated, it is how you deal with that fear. I personally make the adreneline (sp?) work for me by helping keep my awareness level up it seems like things become clearer, hearing more acute etc. Like Zebra said as long as you don't panic, keep a cool head, and like AKA said revert back to your training. We are never are "fearless" however we NEVER let the "bad guys" know it. Their like dogs they can smell it!!!!! LOL

Comment

As my FTO says, "SUCK IT UP!"
          You have the right to remain silent, but apparently you lack the skill to exercise that right.

Comment

Yea you never forget about things. Thats what all the training and the survival mindset is for. I believe that is a big reason people think cops are cocky because we have this. I also like to go by whatever I get hurt they get twice as much. Regardless I'm going home at the end of my shift.
            Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

You know... I never gave that any consideration when I first started about a yr and a half ago. You get trained so well, that you just let the fear of getting hurt blow past you. It's not worth dwelling on because then you get panicy... and that's dangerous.. as someone said already.
              Yes there are many dangers to the job, but you could die... or get injured at any point, doing anything.

~K~
              "Everything you've learned will surface in due time, so stop rushing around."

~ MURPHY ~

Comment

I'll echo what others here have said, you will fall back on your training. At the end of the day I'm going home and so is everyone on my watch end of story. As long as I'm breathing I'm in the fight, I'll get the shakes after.

Its one of those things you either have or you don't. And truthfully you won't really know how you will react until you are faced with a life threatning situation. But it is truly a glorious and confident feeling to know that you have been challenged in a life/limb threatning manner and you did not cower in the face of danger but acted as you were trained and expected to do.

With me I've noticed when the SHTF that I don't feel that "fear" feeling per se, I'm just hyper-aware of everything (sounds are crisp,everything seems to be moving real slow and I remember every freakin detail of the incident), its hard to explain but thats how it seems to me. My only feelings of "fear" in my SHTF moments that I can remember have been for the safety of my partner and other officers (ex.WHERE IS MY PARTNER?!, He was just in the woodline, I can't see him what the HELL happened to him, where the f*&$ is the perp, did my partner get hit!? etc). After its all said and done later on I usually get a chill down the spine moment, but I let that pass and move on.

Not trying to talk down to about your feelings but you may want to seriously think about why you want to be police and if it may be for you. Especially if you are worrying about now. If you dwell and worry about getting hurt you are a danger to yourself and your partners. Fear is good but panic and aniexty causes people to freeze up and die.

Comment

Originally posted by AKA=Cruz View Post
                  You don’t ever get over fear; you just learn to face it. The fear will help keep a person thinking of options. You now how people say “every thing was in slow motion”. That’s your brain think of options and when every thing happens so fast that your brain has no options. When we put the uniform on we do not become robots. Hopefully your training and experience will take over.
                  Did I say Training –Train, Train, and when you’re done Training, Train some more….
                  "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

I cannot speak for everybody here.

I am still scared of getting hurt and or killed. Its not like its a pall that is following me around, but as was said above, you learn to deal with it. As was stated again, you train and train and you trust in your fellow officers. Sometimes god decides a few of us arent going to be going home to our loved ones, and thats ok because we are going to a better place. But I have resigned myself to the fact that I am going to be going home before some ****head does if its between he and I.

Thats just my two cents though....

Comment

A little bit of advice from one who's been there- You need to feel fear on this job in order to survive. The presence of fear means you understand the real risks involved in the situation. That said, having the proper training, abilities and attitude allows one to work through the fear and win. You must have the confidence in your overall situation (mental, physical and tactical) to know you will succeed or you are in the wrong profession.

There is always the chance that something will happen to us (LE and/or civilian), but we can't do anything about the bullet/car/train/etc... that has our name on it. An airplane could fall out of the sky and land on us while driving to lunch. The risks in this occupation are generally known to us, anticipated and dealt with.

If you are prepared, utilize your backup properly and respond accordingly, you generally go home every night in the same condition you came to work. If people don't think they are willing or able to face those challenges (including fear), they're in the wrong profession and that's all right too. Not everyone can or should be in this occupation.
                      "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Fear is good, but you can't let it overwhelm you. With LEO you can do ride alongs, but until your butt is in the seat making the decisions, or working a midnight shift with backup being at least ten minutes away if your lucky you never know. Fear can overwhelm or make some smart, safe cops. If you feel overwhelmed consider not doing this job. I always say try fire fighting or emt.

Comment

I've only been on the job less than a year. There have many situations that I looked back on when they were over and said out loud, "Wow, that was some scary $h!t". It's weird, because I didn't realize it at the time.
                          Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

you don't get over it

There is still fear you just begin to get so focused on the problem that you don't think about the fear. I just went to a suicidal with a gun that went sideways, but I knew i had a job to do and i accomplished it. after the nut was hooked up there was no more reason to be scared.

Comment

I think all cops fear getting hurt. Like many others have said training gives you the tools you need to deal with a dangerous situation and the ability to control fear. The training you get you'll be able to apply for the rest of your life. Once you become a cop you'll never be a victim.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5220 users online. 300 members and 4920 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X