300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• your experience getting hired

What advice can you tell guys who are in the application process, what problems, worries, and length of time did you endure during this period. Did you come close to giving up or did you get hired on your first time?

Originally posted by navy80 View Post
    What advice can you tell guys who are in the application process, what problems, worries, and length of time did you endure during this period. Did you come close to giving up or did you get hired on your first time?
    It took several month for me. It is pretty stressful the worst part is the waiting. I got hired while I was doing an internship. My department just happen to be testing and it really helped me when doing my interviews and background.

Comment

It took 3 to 6 months for me, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I know a guy who was in a process for a year, but the winner is a guy who was in a process for two years from test date to hire date, so it really depends on your agency. There was an article in the Police Chief mag close to 20 years ago that said the average officer applied to seven agencies before getting hired.

Comment

First place I applied (kind of on a whim) -- Took me a little over two months from first test to job offer and notification of hire date. A little over three months from submission of application to actual start date. Kudos to my dept. Very professional through the whole process. They were hiring like mad and still are due to being in an area of the country that is experiencing tremendous growth.

PM me and I'll get you contact info if you're interested. Great pay. Plenty of action. More OT than you'd ever need/want. Top of the line, brand new equipment/vehicles/facilities. Admin very supportive of road troops.
        He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
        -- Nietzsche

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
        -- Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by navy80 View Post
          be patient, the worries are of course going through the whole process and getting released at the end. you worry at every little step (at least i did) during the oral, medical, psychological, physical agility test, etc. My process took 3 months from civil service test to hire and it was my first pick agency and the only that i applied to. I got the job only 5 months after getting out of the military. If i hadnt of gotten hired by them i would never have given up, i'd of found somebody else.

Comment

I would recommend getting started with a small dept from my exp you have a chance to learn in an environment that is more conducive to learning. The process will take awhile wherever you go no matter the size. Good luck.

Comment

I was very lucky in 1984.

The written and physical test was all in 1 day in May. I was chosen for the interview in June. I was hired August 6. Everything went very smoothly.

Also, I was in a win-win situation. I had just completed my 1st year of college when the test came. So I took the test figuring if I am accepted, I get the job I wanted since I was 13. If I am not accepted, it's back to Rutgers.

Good luck.

Sammy
              If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
              www.samanthafund.com

Comment

The first time I applied I was deferred due to a minor complication. After a deferral there is a 1 year waiting time before you can re-apply. I could have re-applied anytime after Feb 15th 2007. However, I received a call on Jan 4th, 2007 informing me that my file had been re-opened.

That being said, i never had to re-apply or re-write the exam. From Jan 4th till my offer of employment on April 26th your looking at 4 months. My start date is June 1st, 2007 so about 5 months.

oh crap, sorry.. I am not allowed to post here yet :S Sorry new to the forums.
                Last edited by Nappy; 05-04-2007, 09:29 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

It took me about 9 months from application date to hire date. I applied with about five agencies and was still in the process with all but one when I accepted my current position.

To quote Tom Petty, the waiting is the hardest part.

As far as advice, I only have two bits that aren't usually covered right away:
                  1) Get a Barron's study guide. This will help with written tests and oral boards. I passed the written phase for every agency I applied for.
                  2) Photocopy all of your applications and background check paperwork prior to sending them in. This accomplishes two things.

First it gives you an easy way to resubmit them if the agency doesn't receive it.

Second (and more useful) is you can use it as a reference from then on. One of the best moves I ever made was keeping a copy of my SF-86 form, a government form for background checks, and updating it as I moved around, changed jobs, etc. It's a lot easier to fill out background check information when you already have your last 10 years of addresses, phone numbers, neighbors, jobs, pay levels, dates of hire, etc. right in front of you on one reference sheet.
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

It took me a total of about 7-8 months from first test to hire. There were times where I heard NOTHING for a month or two, and there were plenty of times where I thought it was going to be a no go. At those times I kind of went stir crazy and started looking at departments where I really didn't want to be at, but finally in the end it worked out.

Comment

Took me 11 mo. with the department I work for. I had actually given up on them, then out of the blue got a letter to continue with the process. It was the 3rd department I applied for at the same time.

Comment

Just be happy you're not from the Northeast........2 years and waiting at #1 on a couple of lists

Comment

9 months. Man, was that a lot of sleepless nights.
                          Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

I put myself through the academy pre-service in hopes to become a LEO. After the academy I was hired within a couple weeks. I was on the street for a couple of months before I lost my job due to funding (bottom of the totem pole). That job was (here's a gun and a badge, only shoot the bad guys) no training. I then was a DO for a couple of years. I could hear the street calling me every day. I then quit that and tried to get hired for two years while the head of detention blackballed me and falsified my records. (I have an official copy of my personell file-exemplary). Some departments said they believed me, but I "obviously had issues."
                            I finally got back on the street and it is awesome.. no, righteous. It is like I am complete and even after a hard shift I can't wait for the next day.
                            Did I get depressed? some Did I doubt myself? NEVER I will never give up and never give in. My favorite quote is "there is no stopping a man who is in the right and keeps on coming."

As far as advice? I have heard a lot of the larger departments have FTO'S that are designed more to wash people out. Smaller departments have a smaller pool and usually seem to invest more in their officers. Also just drop alcohol altogether if you can.
                            The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything

Comment

i haver never been a big drinker but i quit drinking since Oct 7 2006, during my app. process for the reserves i had to do a physch. interview. I said i drink once or twice a month, and the lady had a surpised look on her face like i was an alcoholic.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4941 users online. 316 members and 4625 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X