300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hypothetical opinions

Okay Im going to give you a hypothetical situation and let me know what you think.... Lets say a leo was shot on duty and they were released back to full time duty by thier doctor. Your work places you in thier jail after being a road deputy. Then you are informed that you cannot drive your police car because your a liability, but yet your allowed to wear your uniform? Note off duty plain clothes officers and thier familes are allowed to use unit. You are then assigned to the jail to do absoultely nothing but twiddle your thumb but what little work you are assigned its so way below your job skills its funny. Just a bit of info there are men in your department that only have one arm and are allowed to work with inmates as a c/o but your not allowed such duties but your the liability because your arm doesnt work as well as it used to. opinions anyone?
    ‎"I'm angry. It's okay. I'll process my anger. I love myself. Whoosah.

I would leave.

You are injured, you recover and are cleared by a doc. If they are calling you a liability and shoving you in the jail then I do not think even 10 years of jail work will change their minds.

All hypothetically of course.
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

I would also leave, hypothetically, of course.

Comment

Is it possible your superiors(using term loosely) think they're doing you a favor, by slowly "bringing you up to speed" after your shooting? Have you spoken to anyone at your department about this yet?

Oops...hypothetical superiors, in a hypothetical shooting situation, of course
        Last edited by exComptonCop; 04-23-2007, 09:48 PM.
        "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Hypothetically? I would challenge the guy who made that decision to a rasslin' match and open up a can!

Seriously, sucks to be in that situation. I would make sure I was physically able to exceed all requirements, and then run to a better department as fast as I can. After what "this officer" gave to their department, this is the treatment they get. Unacceptable.

On a totally unrelated note, I hope you are still recovering from your own wound nicely. I am sure your fellow officers consider it an honor to work with you. I would; not because you were shot, but because you are so eager to continue doing your job after facing the harsh reality if it. I hear many officers can't handle the emotional aspects of an OIS and it sounds like you're doing well. Hang in there.
          If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

---Jack Handey

Comment

I think maybe they are being too over protective but in truth I wear a uniform I will always be a liabilty or target regarless if i drive a police unit or not ! since my full recovery time is about 5 years would you be willing to halt your life that long? I have no specific job I have no desk to sit at no place to do any specific work no work to do besides everyone elses work so they can stare at me doing it. I feel like im just being kept busy instead of using me for useful purposes. would any of you be willing to do that for five years.

Comment

Im physically able to work I just have nerve damage in my left arm something so minor . I can lift weights in the gym I have no broken bones or open wounds . It just really ****es me off that my superiors can tell me im not ready to do my job because im a liabilty so i have to wait until thier ready ,reality is I will always have these scars but Im ready to go back and handle buisness regardless if they are ready. They let my partner go back even promoted him I hate to say it but I think it has alot to do with gender and being over protective.

Comment

I think the first question here is, who determined that you were not fit for full duty? If the decision was made by your department's or county's physician, than about all you can do is file an appeal with your civil service commission (or whoever handles such things in your county) using your doctor's report as the basis for your appeal.

OTOH, if the decision was made by one of your superiors, then this is a whole new ball game. Unless they are also doctors, police managers do not possess the expertise and training necessary to pass medical judgments regarding their subordinates. If this decision was made by someone other than a doctor, or without a doctors advice, there may be numerous EEO and ADA violations that you can use to remedy the situation.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I guess my hypothetical superior must have a degree in medicine cause they are sure acting like it. I basicly said if im a liabilty in my squad car then im a liability in my uniform

Comment

Originally posted by pyxie
                    I guess my hypothetical superior must have a degree in medicine cause they are sure acting like it. I basicly said if im a liabilty in my squad car then im a liability in my uniform
                    True that.
                    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

Comment

I would take it up the chain until I got some answers. Someone will probably tell you to sue them but you might as well quit if you do that. Here is another idea, if nothing else works. If they are not sure your ready tell to let you ride with another officer for a week or so, if your still doing the job as normal turn you loose on your own. I know you shouldn't have to do that but maybe it can calm them down and let you get back to work.
                      Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Don't quit becuase of a superior's stupidity or bias. Worse case, put in for a transfer or lateral to another dept. Get a second medical opinion as well. Sounds like you'll be owning that dept. soon enough with those practices going on.

Comment

get this

I took some issues I had up with the big man who just so happens to have a law degree and I went in a deputy who was a "liability"and came out a detective ready to get back to work. I went to the range the next day and qualified with my gun. I will be shoving that paper up the dr's rump for telling me ill never be strong enough to go back on duty. So that wraps up my disgruntled issues but im sure my superiors will be ****y lol oh well thats life.

Comment

Originally posted by pyxie View Post
                            I took some issues I had up with the big man who just so happens to have a law degree and I went in a deputy who was a "liability"and came out a detective ready to get back to work. I went to the range the next day and qualified with my gun. I will be shoving that paper up the dr's rump for telling me ill never be strong enough to go back on duty. So that wraps up my disgruntled issues but im sure my superiors will be ****y lol oh well thats life.

Wow, congrats.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5895 users online. 346 members and 5549 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X