300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Day Solo

Today is my first day riding solo. FTO is finally done. That is all.
    The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
    -Neal Boortz

Dont forget to load your gun. Did you buy a cool pair of sun glasses yet?better get on it, times a wasting.
    It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

Weird feeling ....having ridden with someone for so long and now.....just you!
      Moooooooooooo, I'm a goat

Comment

I will never forget the first time I pulled outta the station in solo beat...I must have had the biggest smile in the world. My first call was a bum on the corner refusing to leave a gas station at Flamingo/Paradise. I was disregarded before I even got there but still showed up in case anybody needed any help!
        RIP Sgt. Henry Prendes...EOW 2/1/06
        RIP Off. James Manor...EOW 5/7/09
        RIP Ofc. Milburn "Millie" Beitel...EOW 10/7/09
        RIP Ofc. Trevor Nettleton...EOW 11/19/09
        RIP Ofc. Daniel Leach...EOW 11/21/09

Comment

Originally posted by JSD73
          Weird feeling ....having ridden with someone for so long and now.....just you!
          it was very strange not haveing someone else in the vehicle.
          The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
          -Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by RedRaider911
            Today is my first day riding solo. FTO is finally done. That is all.
            Goodtimes.
            Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

My first day wasn't that long ago. I remember being pretty nervous, so I went right out and made a traffic stop just to break the ice!
              Invisible cows control my mind.

Comment

I just finished FTO about a month ago, and it was such a relief! First shift I made about 6 traffic stops in under 2 hours. I also got a decent arrest for Institutional Vandalism/Criminal Mischief. A few days later I began my permanent shift assignment, which was with officers I hadn't worked with before. It was hard leaving the officers I had worked with and befriended for almost 4 months, but it was also nice starting fresh and feeling more indepedant. I feel I do better when I'm on my own and forced to wing it. So far its been great, minus the loads of paperwork and backed up cases.
                "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Comment

Congratulations, and good luck out there.

I'd hold off on the cool sun glasses for now, they'll be out of style by the time you get to see a daytime shift

Be safe
                  "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

two days out and last night i got into a pretty great fight. It was good times. I love this job.
                    -Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by exComptonCop
                      Congratulations, and good luck out there.

I'd hold off on the cool sun glasses for now, they'll be out of style by the time you get to see a daytime shift

Be safe

Great point, what was I thinking. Get a cheap pair to wear when you up during daylight hours. that sun is heck after 10 years on mids.
                      It takes a Wolf.......

Comment

My 2 bits of advice now that you are free....

(All of my trainees have done very well and tell me that my advice was the most useful)

You'll learn to avoid the fights over time.

Always have an extra pair of pants around. They newer you are, the more likely you are to tear up your pants.

Everyone is "sir" or "m'am" at first. It always makes them feel you respect them even if you don't. Keeps you out of a fight or two. You might have the desire to win all your fights...but you won't.

Cheap sunglasses are the rule until you learn not to sit on them when you get in the car. 2-3 pair....always.

Don't wear black gloves unless it is cold or you are avoiding a needle stick. Nothing screams "rookie" or "a-hole" more than a pair of black gloves.

Sit down and relax when to take your lunch. Eating off the trunk of your car or behind the wheel doesn't give you time to decompress. Working all day in condition yellow or red will burn you out and make you nasty.

Burgers and tacos are tasty and will make you want to take a nap.

Never miss an opportunity to pee.

Drink just enough to not be thristy because there will always be a time where you will not have an opportunity to pee for hours.

If you wear a light color...always remember to put the cap back on your pen. If you wear a dark color...don't eat powdered sugar donuts.

You will look like a dork some day.

You will get your butt kicked some day....you will more than likely win...but you will still get your butt kicked.

You will crash you car in your first year or so and then again in 5 years.

You may never have the opportunity to shoot someone. Train like you will, but don't wish for it. It really sucks in reality.

If you can't see the other side of the fence...don't hop over it. Look first unless you want to test the "extra pair of pants" advice or the "looking like a dork" theory.

Never jump over a guard rail on a foggy day. trust me...just dont.

Check your gun magazine frequently to mske sure it hasn't partially ejected.

Do what you are told to do and document it so the poop might roll away from you if something goes wrong.

Have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by rayder1 View Post
                          My 2 bits of advice now that you are free....

(All of my trainees have done very well and tell me that my advice was the most useful)

You'll learn to avoid the fights over time.
                          I am usually able to. Some times you show up and they already want to fight.
                          Originally posted by rayder1 View Post
                          Always have an extra pair of pants around. They newer you are, the more likely you are to tear up your pants.

Everyone is "sir" or "m'am" at first. It always makes them feel you respect them even if you don't. Keeps you out of a fight or two. You might have the desire to win all your fights...but you won't.

Cheap sunglasses are the rule until you learn not to sit on them when you get in the car. 2-3 pair....always.

Don't wear black gloves unless it is cold or you are avoiding a needle stick. Nothing screams "rookie" or "a-hole" more than a pair of black gloves.

Sit down and relax when to take your lunch. Eating off the trunk of your car or behind the wheel doesn't give you time to decompress. Working all day in condition yellow or red will burn you out and make you nasty.

Burgers and tacos are tasty and will make you want to take a nap.

Never miss an opportunity to pee.

Drink just enough to not be thristy because there will always be a time where you will not have an opportunity to pee for hours.

If you wear a light color...always remember to put the cap back on your pen. If you wear a dark color...don't eat powdered sugar donuts.

You will look like a dork some day.

You will get your butt kicked some day....you will more than likely win...but you will still get your butt kicked.

You will crash you car in your first year or so and then again in 5 years.

You may never have the opportunity to shoot someone. Train like you will, but don't wish for it. It really sucks in reality.

If you can't see the other side of the fence...don't hop over it. Look first unless you want to test the "extra pair of pants" advice or the "looking like a dork" theory.

Never jump over a guard rail on a foggy day. trust me...just dont.

Check your gun magazine frequently to mske sure it hasn't partially ejected.

Do what you are told to do and document it so the poop might roll away from you if something goes wrong.

Have fun.
                          great advice. THanks
                          -Neal Boortz

Comment

Congrats Red Raider, I also went to Tech. I remember the first day I went solo; my ghost-phase FTO sent a district message on the MDC (I was still loading up in the parking lot and making sure I had everything) to me that read something to the effect of "Hurry up rook! You can't sit there forever!"

Best advice I can give you is to utilize your assists, observe, and ask questions. Although alot of police-work is learned out in the field, just pace yourself, remember your training and you will be fine.
                            Last edited by FWPD Panther; 04-27-2007, 03:13 PM.
                            "A fighter never knows when it's the last bell. He doesn't want to face that." - Sugar Ray Leonard

Comment

I'm on my last phase, i have about 2 more weeks and i'm on my own!!

I'm part of our Marine Patrol Unit, can't wait to get on the water solo!!
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/capttommyz/1017.gif

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6124 users online. 369 members and 5755 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X