300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get over emontions?

I am not a police officer yet, but I am in the process of applying, but I was wondering, how do you go about handling your emotions when you are first beginning. What I mean is when you are arresting someone or giving someone a ticket, how do you get over the "I feel bad for them" notion. Granted I have not had any experience dealing with criminals so I may feel differently about them when I am an LEO. Thanks for any comments
    Last edited by tm1618; 04-12-2007, 02:36 PM.

Its not personal. Thats my job. Sometimes when I write someone a ticket I feel bad for them, but they knew the rules, choose to break them, and I caught them. Thats what we do.
    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

It’s like a child if you let them getaway with something, the behavior can get worse. It’s all about consequences of the action; not punishment that’s the courts job.
      "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

Once you get one, or two, or two thousand that treat you like crap.. you'll get ****ed off and realize that you're doing your job.. and they're doing a wonderful job of keeping you in business. You need to develop a thick skin. People will say things to you that you never believed people would say to another person.

Oh, and get used to it. It's YOUR fault they're driving under suspension, have warrants, beat their wives/husbands.. etc. Not to mention everyone knows the law and you are ALWAYS wrong and violating their rights. Ha.
        Reno 911 - Season 1:

Garcia: "Oh God.. call for help!"
        Wiegel: "Help! Help!"
        Garcia: "Use your goddamn radio!"

Comment

Related question, how do you manage to not be a smart *** when the violator is?
          How do you keep your cool, and not become no better than them?

Comment

Originally posted by HailStorm
            who said that you aren't allowed to be a smartass? Seriously, some times you have to pop back with a smart comment not to lose your cool. Plus if they are drunk it can be pretty funny.
            The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
            -Neal Boortz

Comment

Cops lead the nation in ulcers, headaches, tension, suicide, domestic violence, excessive drinking, and on and on and on

Now you know why.

As a cop, you can either become of of those, or, stand tall and remain something good and something of standing in your community. Think of that pillar people are always saying you are, "A Pillar of the Community." Be that pillar, holding up what is good and wholesome, regadless of winter blizzards, rain, hail, wind, earthquakes, or floods. Hold tight to what you stand for and the knowledge that being strong when your emotions want to overtake you, is EXACTLY why you were screened and hired.

As a cop, you have what it takes to remain stalwart in the face of bad things.
              The All New
              BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
              Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
              - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I agree with RedRaider911, I will pop back and get **** some times. Its call POP (****ing Off the Police). Working for a county, I will give an attitude check in a heart beat due to that a backup is 3-10 minutes away . This will give them a warning that I'm not a Playstation and there to play any games.
                Do I stay mad, never have I gone home with my peace of mind and a smile to curl up in my nice bed.
                Last edited by AKA=Cruz; 04-13-2007, 10:27 AM.
                "An officer has the confidence to stand alone, the courage to make tough decisions, and the compassion to listen to the needs of others. He does not set out to be a leader, but becomes one by the quality of his actions and the integrity of his intent."

Comment

If the circumstances are right, you can get away with being a smartass.

I felt sorry for people for about a month. That's when I started to see the cycles repeat themselves, and I quit caring .

You'll hit a point to where you don't take anything personal at work.

Comment

A guaranteed way to keep from a valid complaint but watch them lose their top, is the more angry they get, the nicer you get....it works every time, you kill them with kindness, and it drives them over the edge....
                    "A young man who does not have what it takes to perform military service is not likely to have what it takes to make a living".
                    John F Kennedy, US

Comment

Feelings, cops don't have feelings. People think we're robots, and that they can say or do what ever they want to us. We either ignore the comments or make them eat the comments. I try not to get ****ed off but sometimes my inner deamons take over.

As far as feeling sorry for the people I write I just treat everyone the same way until they dictate otherwise. I write every hazardous violator with the exception of P.C.(professional courtesy) I learned quickly that whatever problems they have in their life aren't my problem. No breaks!
                      The views I share are my own, and do not represent the opinions of my employing agency.

Comment

Job Security!!

Comment

i say you just weep on scene.
                          honestly, if you have to ask about it, i don't think this job is for you.
                          "In a bacon-and-egg breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed." - Brian Billick

Be that pig.

Comment

Originally posted by tm1618
                            I am not a police officer yet, but I am in the process of applying, but I was wondering, how do you go about handling your emotions when you are first beginning. What I mean is when you are arresting someone or giving someone a ticket, how do you get over the "I feel bad for them" notion. Granted I have not had any experience dealing with criminals so I may feel differently about them when I am an LEO. Thanks for any comments
                            Criminals?

Most of the people you will deal with in your career are just every day "folk" of all walks of life.

The way I looked at it was simple.

"I paid all my tickets, I lived with no driver's license that time it was suspended, I found a new insurance company when It was cancelled that other time, I learned valuable lessons from these things ... and they can too".

I didn't do serious stuff. I don't feel sorry for those whom do when they get caught. You won't either soon enough.

"Adversity breeds carachter." me
                            Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 04-14-2007, 11:26 PM.
                            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

You get over writing people tickets real quick after you work a few hundred traffic accidents that could have been avoided if only the driver would have pulled their head out!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5776 users online. 331 members and 5445 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X