Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are some of the other petty things he is marking down?

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

This is why I was never accused of being “nice and chatty”. I didn’t want a recruit to feel left out.
      Really? I always thought you were the type to offer free hugs and coffee in the morning?

Comment

• reils49
        reils49 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was once accused by one of my recruits of being a younger version of Walt Kowalski from Gran Torino.

And accused again recently by another guy...

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        relis49.................ONCE I can understand the mistake BUT TWICE means you are probably really Walt's long lost son.

So I today was the start of the week with my FTO and our relationship has improved. I stopped asking questions and just said yessir to everything he said. Overall the day went much better than my other week with him. He even said good job a couple times. So I’m hoping my remaining 6 days with him go smoothly and he can just pass me on to a different FTO.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalAspirant View Post
        So I today was the start of the week with my FTO and our relationship has improved. I stopped asking questions and just said yessir to everything he said. Overall the day went much better than my other week with him. He even said good job a couple times. So I’m hoping my remaining 6 days with him go smoothly and he can just pass me on to a different FTO.
        There ya go. Remember your ultimate goal is to pass field training...not to make friends or be liked by everyone. Keep things professional and you should be fine. And who knows, maybe the guy just had a bad week. Good luck with the rest of your training!

Comment

So I today was the start of the week with my FTO and our relationship has improved. I stopped asking questions

Last edited by Ratatatat; 06-14-2018, 08:02 AM.
          To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.

-Elbert Hubbard

Comment

How many FTOs do you get assigned? You’ve had like six or so already. Don’t they have an actual program?
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              How many FTOs do you get assigned? You’ve had like six or so already. Don’t they have an actual program?
              Yeah, almost seems like it's a "meet and greet/get to know everyone at the agency" program. I do think there's value in working with different types of personalities, and every officer has unique knowledge/skills to impart on a trainee...but there also needs to be some consistency in training. How are they gauging progress when they can't observe him over an extended period of time?

FWIW, my department typically assigns two FTOs -- one on night shift and one on day shift. Only when a trainee struggles in a specific area we'll have him work with additional officers who are good at training in those particular areas.

Comment

We do at least one month per FTO, usually three total.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  We do but the majority of FTOs at my agency also have other collaterals. My first FTO was SWAT/drone pilot, second FTO was rangemaster/armorer. One of my sub FTOs was drone/eod/csi and ohv all at the same time.

Plus the FTOs routinely take vacation despite having trainees which leads to most trainees constantly switching FTOs or even shifts.

Comment

That creates problems and needs to be addressed. The SOLE purpose of an FTO is to ensure that legally, morally, and ethically, you are safe to work the streets.

Your Agency, not your fault, is ****ed up on this. Way too many “cool guy” slots given out and added on to critical positions.

Comment

Drone pilot/eod/csi? WTF???

No No NO- you need to ride with patrol guys, PERIOD.
                      Image result for drone pilot policeDon't even get me started on the term "PILOT" for a drone operator. I worked my *** off and spent a ton of money to become a real pilot, not some dude flying what is essentially a fancy toy.

No offense to the military guys who really are drone "pilots"- I'm talking about these little things:

Image result for drone pilot police

SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                      SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

From the sound of your post, you don’t care for him either. Some of those officers have those attitudes because they don’t expect rookies be around too long. Why get too friendly if they’re going to be gone any day now?

He may may be trying to push your buttons to see what you can and can’t handle.

Remember that the PD is a family and a rookie isn’t a relative just yet. He has to stick around and earn his keep. Once accepted, it’s had to leave when you retire.

Comment

Originally posted by FireCop203 View Post
                          From the sound of your post, you don’t care for him either. Some of those officers have those attitudes because they don’t expect rookies be around too long. Why get too friendly if they’re going to be gone any day now?

He may may be trying to push your buttons to see what you can and can’t handle.

Remember that the PD is a family and a rookie isn’t a relative just yet. He has to stick around and earn his keep. Once accepted, it’s had to leave when you retire.
                          Without going in depth, it’s more than that tbh. Talking to my academy buddies who went to other depts makes me wonder. When I got an offer with this dept I was fortunate to have a choice between two other depts. I’m not big on looking back but those thoughts are starting to creep in.
                          Last edited by NorCalAspirant; 06-16-2018, 12:08 AM.

Comment

I'm not big on looking back but those thoughts are starting to creep in.

And perhaps second-guessing your decision is beginning to bubble up in your day to day performance?

If that's the case, now you're in a bit of a pickle, right?

Because if you're not happy there and not fully on board, they could detect such sentiment and let you go.

But leaving on your terms has risks. Abruptly resign after all you've been through the past several months? That could illicit some raised eyebrows down the road....

Gut out your FTO, keep a happy face, and secretly plan to jump ship as soon as possible? That may be the smart approach, but it assumes opportunity awaits at a preferred department, which may or may not be the case. Weeks of buried unsatisfaction could become months could become years.

The grass might not be greener elsewhere either, despite what your academy buddies are saying. Maybe it's kinda brown everywhere.

If any of this is true, you're not alone. Many others have found themselves in similar situations.

How they ultimately get resolved varies. Some stay put and everything works out. Some spend their careers jumping between depts more frequently than car salesmen jump dealerships. Some leave LE and become teachers, business owners, or carpenters.

Everything in life works out. Just not always according to plan.

To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.

-Elbert Hubbard

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post

And perhaps second-guessing your decision is beginning to bubble up in your day to day performance?

If that's the case, now you're in a bit of a pickle, right?

Because if you're not happy there and not fully on board, they could detect such sentiment and let you go.

But leaving on your terms has risks. Abruptly resign after all you've been through the past several months? That could illicit some raised eyebrows down the road....

Gut out your FTO, keep a happy face, and secretly plan to jump ship as soon as possible? That may be the smart approach, but it assumes opportunity awaits at a preferred department, which may or may not be the case. Weeks of buried unsatisfaction could become months could become years.

The grass might not be greener elsewhere either, despite what your academy buddies are saying. Maybe it's kinda brown everywhere.

If any of this is true, you're not alone. Many others have found themselves in similar situations.

How they ultimately get resolved varies. Some stay put and everything works out. Some spend their careers jumping between depts more frequently than car salesmen jump dealerships. Some leave LE and become teachers, business owners, or carpenters.

Everything in life works out. Just not always according to plan.
                              I have to say it’s not just me. My department is becoming a training grounds of sorts. I learned the other day that 8 out of the last 13 successful trainees bounced as soon as they were able.

The majority of my academy class went to a department local to the academy and the majority of them are still there after a year. I talked to a few of them and they all say they’re happy while I feel like an outcast everyday because I’m one of the very few deputies not from this area. O

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7809 users online. 305 members and 7504 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X