Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you pulling these cars over for? Simple traffic violations, speed, etc.? Wait in your spot til a ****ty car rolls by with people that look like the criminals of your area or look like they are up to no good and find something to pull the car over for.

Hang out by the areas with a high concentration of drug activity or gang activity or the major roads where drugs would be transported or gang members would use in transit.

Ask the older police on your department.

If you want to be proactive and work and make arrests you'll find a way to do it. Just make sure they are quality arrests. You probably don't want to hear this, but a warrant for some bull**** like failure to appear off a traffic stop is not what most departments would consider a "good arrest" as it requires next to 0 police work and skills.

Comment

Have you gotten out and walked? Seriously, snag another guy who is proactive like you and go walk through the neighborhoods on your turf. You'd be surprised what you can walk up on that you wouldn't see in a marked or unmarked car (we aren't fooling the seasoned crooks with those.)

Like others have said, "where" you are stopping cars is extremely important. When I worked the road I had several options. I could sit on the main roads and write simply for numbers: speed, insurance, tag issues and plenty of drunks. I could sit on feeder roads that people used as backways to some of our ****tier apartment complexes: got lots of suspended/revoked, small amounts of drugs and because they were neighborhood roads the people who lived there loved us. Want bigger loads? Find the roads people take to avoid major highways, especially if you have a state police that is big into interdiction on the highways. Want guns and drugs? Find the high crime/high drug neighborhood and start stopping there.

Comment

Be aware of counter surveillance in those areas.

Comment

Im not sure if you work in a city or not but if so, I would increase your ped stops instead of vehicle stops. I mean no doubt vehicle stops lead to arrests (at least where I work). BUT just having mere encounters with someone can be helpful. A mere encounter can then lead to an investigative detention, you just have to learn how to do things and be able to articulate your reports.

Comment

I had this problem with my last FTO. Dig into the investigations more. Don’t focus so much on the reason why you pulled them over but the story they are telling you. When you pull someone over you know you already have a cite at a minimum.

Heres a great example of an expired reg stop that netted me an arrest for no license, paraphernalia and meth. It’s 2am and guy said he’s going home after work. He hands me an ID, not a DL and says the address is current. Except he’s driving the opposite direction of home and his workplace closed 4 hours ago. I poke the holes in his story, he admits to having a suspended DL for previous DUI. So I arrest him for the suspended DL. I inventory his car prior to tow and I find a meth pipe and 3 loaded syringes.

All because I focused on his story and not on his reason for the violation.
            Last edited by NorCalAspirant; 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Are you taking calls for crime-in-progress?

If so, are you able to continue with the file, or do you have to hand it off to the Crockett-and-Tubbs-types?

If you can follow-up, then do so.

Nothing dishonorable about Patrol or Traffic, as long ss you are trying your best within the confines of what ypur Chief, Supervisor, or your jurisdiction allows you to do.
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

Remember that the dime bag you dropped in his lap when you made the initial traffic top should be in “plain view” This will help when you happen to spot iafter returning from your cruiser and handing docs back to the driver.

I’m telling you, Vic Mackey is a helluva teacher. You can learn a lot from the show. Can also be very entertaining if you got a bunch of down time.
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

You’ll be fine your time will come. Sometimes you have an active month and sometimes it’s slow.

Comment

Tactics for Criminal Patrol

start reading your Caliber Press

Comment

Also, try reading this book, or one like it.

Image result for tactics for criminal patrol book

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13732 users online. 457 members and 13275 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X