Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you pulling these cars over for? Simple traffic violations, speed, etc.? Wait in your spot til a ****ty car rolls by with people that look like the criminals of your area or look like they are up to no good and find something to pull the car over for.

Hang out by the areas with a high concentration of drug activity or gang activity or the major roads where drugs would be transported or gang members would use in transit.

Ask the older police on your department.

If you want to be proactive and work and make arrests you'll find a way to do it. Just make sure they are quality arrests. You probably don't want to hear this, but a warrant for some bull**** like failure to appear off a traffic stop is not what most departments would consider a "good arrest" as it requires next to 0 police work and skills.

Comment

Have you gotten out and walked? Seriously, snag another guy who is proactive like you and go walk through the neighborhoods on your turf. You'd be surprised what you can walk up on that you wouldn't see in a marked or unmarked car (we aren't fooling the seasoned crooks with those.)

Like others have said, "where" you are stopping cars is extremely important. When I worked the road I had several options. I could sit on the main roads and write simply for numbers: speed, insurance, tag issues and plenty of drunks. I could sit on feeder roads that people used as backways to some of our ****tier apartment complexes: got lots of suspended/revoked, small amounts of drugs and because they were neighborhood roads the people who lived there loved us. Want bigger loads? Find the roads people take to avoid major highways, especially if you have a state police that is big into interdiction on the highways. Want guns and drugs? Find the high crime/high drug neighborhood and start stopping there.

Comment

Be aware of counter surveillance in those areas.

Comment

Im not sure if you work in a city or not but if so, I would increase your ped stops instead of vehicle stops. I mean no doubt vehicle stops lead to arrests (at least where I work). BUT just having mere encounters with someone can be helpful. A mere encounter can then lead to an investigative detention, you just have to learn how to do things and be able to articulate your reports.

Comment

I had this problem with my last FTO. Dig into the investigations more. Don’t focus so much on the reason why you pulled them over but the story they are telling you. When you pull someone over you know you already have a cite at a minimum.

Heres a great example of an expired reg stop that netted me an arrest for no license, paraphernalia and meth. It’s 2am and guy said he’s going home after work. He hands me an ID, not a DL and says the address is current. Except he’s driving the opposite direction of home and his workplace closed 4 hours ago. I poke the holes in his story, he admits to having a suspended DL for previous DUI. So I arrest him for the suspended DL. I inventory his car prior to tow and I find a meth pipe and 3 loaded syringes.

All because I focused on his story and not on his reason for the violation.
            Last edited by NorCalAspirant; 05-17-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Are you taking calls for crime-in-progress?

If so, are you able to continue with the file, or do you have to hand it off to the Crockett-and-Tubbs-types?

If you can follow-up, then do so.

Nothing dishonorable about Patrol or Traffic, as long ss you are trying your best within the confines of what ypur Chief, Supervisor, or your jurisdiction allows you to do.
              #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
              Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
              RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
              Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

Remember that the dime bag you dropped in his lap when you made the initial traffic top should be in “plain view” This will help when you happen to spot iafter returning from your cruiser and handing docs back to the driver.

I’m telling you, Vic Mackey is a helluva teacher. You can learn a lot from the show. Can also be very entertaining if you got a bunch of down time.
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

You’ll be fine your time will come. Sometimes you have an active month and sometimes it’s slow.

Comment

Tactics for Criminal Patrol

start reading your Caliber Press

Comment

Also, try reading this book, or one like it.

Image result for tactics for criminal patrol book

Comment

There are many ways to get more then the violation you pulled for. As some have said demeanor is everything, but plain view is also a beautiful thing. Believe it or not, knowing what the back of a digital scale looks like is very helpful. Some dealers and users will put it in the door with the back facing out because the back of the scale isn’t always recognizable. Also cut straws is a big one and if asked right can lead to a lot of probably cause searches.

Also stepping back back and looking past standard violations and focusing more on priors, behavior, and the way the driver or passengers look at you will lead to a lot more arrests. If a driver has an expired registration, valid license, and no priors vs. expired registration, expired license, drug priors, and turns in a parking lot or back road as soon as you get behind them are big clues to a bigger picture.

Needle caps apps are another big piece of the picture. It’s not as likely to charge for needles, but needle caps will tell a reasonable person that needles are present and prior to even giving away you’ve seen this asking if the driver has medical conditions, make sure you ask diabetes specifically, will lead to bigger questions about the paraphernalia.

Get creative with questions and always switch your approach during the traffic stop. If you originally go to the drivers side to make contact when reapproaching go to the passengers side. Found an open container that way because the guy put the beer on the opposite side of his leg on the floorboard. He didn’t move it before my reapproach and found weed.

Its about the little things you can do to do to catch someone off guard. Maybe ask the driver to step out of the car to speak further and ask about the passenger (people love to draw attention away from themselves and separate themselves from criminal behavior and would love to tell you all about the passenger, whether he may have drugs, or other things because he wants all attention off of him).

just a few suggestions on things that’s have worked for me.

Comment

Also don’t get frustrated. Failure should motivate. Your lack of performance may be your disgruntled emotion toward it. Every traffic stop is new opportunity to do better and be more thorough. Your new, don’t let it get to your head.

Also if other officers are getting good traffic stops stops with arrests, drugs, etc. go help them out for a while. Work with them and learn from them. Your supervisor shouldn’t have a problem letting you get experience with other officers.

Comment

I just finished my first month; I have two arrests and assisted two others.

My most recent was a pretty good one... We knew about an individual moving meth in and out of our county and we knew how the individual was doing it. We knew the vehicle and the general whereabouts of the individuals activities. The problem was the individual lived in the neighboring county and only came to our county to 'do business'.

I spent several weeks randomly rolling through the small town in my county that borders the town the individual lives in and started talking to the locals; asking them if they have seen the vehicle I'm looking for. Of course several members of the community were well aware of the vehicle and when it's usually in our neck of the woods and also gave me some useful information.

Well last week I ended up making a lap through that town towards the end of my shift and guess who drives past me without a seatbelt on.

I stopped the vehicle and started sniffing. I ended up on the passenger side and noticed something which gave me PC to search; several minutes later we are in handcuffs and tears. My search produced some green stuff and some white stuff which tested positive for meth. The individual was also on parole for, you guessed it, cooking meth several years ago.

Probably was just rookie luck but that's my recent success story.
                            Last edited by Saluki89; 06-19-2019, 07:59 AM.

Comment

As a proactive officer that works in a low crime area I like to mix it up, and I go into the shift knowing I might not find something every night and that's okay.

By mix it up I mean don't just rely on basic traffic stops, park your car in a plaza and walk up on cars, go through neighborhoods and look for suspicious activity, look for people on bikes or on foot (especially if you work midnights), hit the gas stations and run tags/ watch for activity.

Traffic stop wise if I see a temp tag I'm automatically drawn to that vehicle and doing further investigation (temp tags in my area are fake most of the time), don't just pull over the older cars as you'll get some good stuff out of high end cars as well. If someone is actively avoiding you on the road they are probably doing that for a reason. Ask good questions and listen to their responses then further investigate. If more than 1 person in the car and you suspect criminal activity separate them and see if the stories match up.

RENTAL CARS!!!! If you focus on traffic stops then temp tags and rental cars are going to give you more opportunity to make quality arrests.

Know your area well. Know certain spots where people like to hang out and do illegal things. Know the areas in your area that are getting hit with burglaries.

Lastly you don't need to make an arrest to just fill the stat sheet. I like to get info on the bigger fish and let the minor stuff go (misd weed/minor traffic infractions).

If you have bst/cst guys talk to them and see what they recommend for your area and get some tips from them.

Good luck, stay safe, and stay proactive. Even if you don't make arrests being proactive in your area doesn't go unnoticed by everyone (good or bad guys).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11648 users online. 457 members and 11191 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X