Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Officer in our PD- VENT!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Officer in our PD- VENT!!

    Okay, here's a little back story. I work in a really small department (4 officers including the chief, plus 2 reserve officers). A couple months ago, we found out that our Chief had been doing some really shady stuff. Nothing that I can see as illegal, but really shady. So I told the City Council that I needed to take ALL my vacation and figure out if I wanted to be in a department that was run by a crooked Chief. They told me my job would be waiting for me when I got back. Well, I talked to them before my vacation was up and they told me if I wanted to, I could take another month, but it wouldn't be paid. The reason they offered me that is because they were in the process of hiring a new chief because they old one resigned when he found out he was being called on the carpet for the stuff he had been doing. The entire department was getting reorganized and going through a total makeover. The other two officers that i worked with were very good officers and resigned when they found out what the chief had been doing.

    Here comes the interesting part...when i went on my vacation, I'd put all my equipment in one of my duffle bags in the Department, locked up in the old jail cell (we now use the jail at the SO)and let the 2 officers there know that it was mine. They let the new chief know when he got there that it was my stuff. When I got back last week, ALL OF MY EQUIPMENT WAS GONE!!!! Everything from my ticket holder to my uniforms!!! They hired a female while I was gone, and she pirated everything of mine!!! Now I'm buying my own vest because she has mine, I'm carrying a 1911, but I had to order a new mag pouch and a holster because my old ones mysteriously disappeared, the duty belt I have to wear until my new one comes in is a 36" and I wear a 32" so it sags really badly, and everything else is the old worn out equipment that was spares because she TOOK my gear. I don't even have enough OLD equipment to make a complete duty belt. All the Chief says is i'll get it back when she leaves in April. She started last month and she's already quitting in April. That's fine, but what am I supposed to do until then? Work in plain clothes because I don't have any equipment?

    I like the new chief and I really respect him, but I was there before her so I think I should get first choice on equipment, especially since it was issued to me anyway...Tonight's supposed to be my first night back, and I'm not looking forward to it because I'm going to be look ate up. The uniforms I have right now are 17 1/2 x 36 1/2 shirts and 36" waist for pants...My shirts are supposed to be a 16x 35 and a 32" waist. I'm so irate over this that I am ready to max out my credit card and buy my own equipment...

    Just wanted to get this off of my chest, it's been bugging me for the past few days.

    Bret

  • #2
    Man that sucks....have you considered another dept.? How can someone just come in and take your stuff??? I dont understand why they didnt issue her some equipment or make her buy her own mess since she is leaving soon anyways!!?? I really dont know much about your dept. but no dept. regardless of size or budget should make an officer buy ALL of their won stuff. Being a female, I know I dont wear the same size equipment as the majority of the men, I dont even know how she is even wearing your vest! Well I feel bad for you...if you have some other options, I would explore them...I just think its shady that they gave your stuff away and now you are stuck spending your own money to buy equipment.
    "...I'd never let you down, even if I could. I'd give up everything if only for your good..." 3 Doors Down

    "Strength is when your body gives out and your heart and your mind take over"

    Comment


    • #3
      Is it YOUR stuff (bought and paid for?) or is it Dept's stuff ISSUED to you? If the former, go and demand it back. If it is the latter, you're screwed because the Agency actually owns it, not you, and they can do with it that which they please.

      EDJ
      "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by fairviewpd
        Okay, here's a little back story. I work in a really small department (4 officers including the chief, plus 2 reserve officers). A couple months ago, we found out that our Chief had been doing some really shady stuff. Nothing that I can see as illegal, but really shady. So I told the City Council that I needed to take ALL my vacation and figure out if I wanted to be in a department that was run by a crooked Chief. They told me my job would be waiting for me when I got back. Well, I talked to them before my vacation was up and they told me if I wanted to, I could take another month, but it wouldn't be paid. The reason they offered me that is because they were in the process of hiring a new chief because they old one resigned when he found out he was being called on the carpet for the stuff he had been doing. The entire department was getting reorganized and going through a total makeover. The other two officers that i worked with were very good officers and resigned when they found out what the chief had been doing.

        Here comes the interesting part...when i went on my vacation, I'd put all my equipment in one of my duffle bags in the Department, locked up in the old jail cell (we now use the jail at the SO)and let the 2 officers there know that it was mine. They let the new chief know when he got there that it was my stuff. When I got back last week, ALL OF MY EQUIPMENT WAS GONE!!!! Everything from my ticket holder to my uniforms!!! They hired a female while I was gone, and she pirated everything of mine!!! Now I'm buying my own vest because she has mine, I'm carrying a 1911, but I had to order a new mag pouch and a holster because my old ones mysteriously disappeared, the duty belt I have to wear until my new one comes in is a 36" and I wear a 32" so it sags really badly, and everything else is the old worn out equipment that was spares because she TOOK my gear. I don't even have enough OLD equipment to make a complete duty belt. All the Chief says is i'll get it back when she leaves in April. She started last month and she's already quitting in April. That's fine, but what am I supposed to do until then? Work in plain clothes because I don't have any equipment?

        I like the new chief and I really respect him, but I was there before her so I think I should get first choice on equipment, especially since it was issued to me anyway...Tonight's supposed to be my first night back, and I'm not looking forward to it because I'm going to be look ate up. The uniforms I have right now are 17 1/2 x 36 1/2 shirts and 36" waist for pants...My shirts are supposed to be a 16x 35 and a 32" waist. I'm so irate over this that I am ready to max out my credit card and buy my own equipment...

        Just wanted to get this off of my chest, it's been bugging me for the past few days.

        Bret
        If your department is one of the unusual ones that doesn't let females get away with murder, I would call her out on it (she's leaving anyways).

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Fairview,

          I've read your posts on Venting and on Search & Seizure. Forgive me if I sound rude as that is not my intention. However, there is something I need to point out to you. For someone who hasn't even been to the academy and has little experience as a city police officer, you certainly spend a lot of time critiquing your department and trying to tell others how to do their job.

          First, you ran to your city council and threatened to quit if they retained their previous chief because he was (to use your words) "cooked." Apparently this was not true because at the same time, you admitted to us here in the forum that you never saw him doing anything illegal.

          Next, you took a vacation followed by an unpaid leave of absence so you could casually reflect on whether you wanted to continue working there. In doing so, you turned in your city furnished gear. When you decided that maybe you would like to work again, you threw a tantrum when you found out the city issued that equipment to someone else who wanted the job badly enough to actually come to work, while you stayed out on an unpaid leave of absence.

          Finally, now that you are back, you have taken it upon yourself to supervise a fellow officer, in spite of the fact that you still have relatively little experience, have never been through the academy and are not even a supervisor or responsible for the quality of his work.

          I have worked with people like you throughout my career and you are a co-worker's nightmare. You have made it clear to your coworkers that even though you are a bottom of the food chain officer, if the department, your superiors and your coworkers don't conform to your personal philosophy, your will threaten, accuse and attempt to impose your will on them until they quit or get fired. Management by accusation, whining, tantrum or through power plays is something that will put you in everyone's gun sights. While you will divide and demoralize your department at first, on the positive side you will eventually unite them when everyone works together as a team to get you bounced out.

          Now, if I have misinterpreted you then I apologize profusely. But the tone of your posts strongly suggests that as far as you are concerned, it's going to be your way or the highway for your fellow employees. You really need to step back and reassess your position within the grand scheme of things.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

          Comment


          • #6
            Hon, why in the world would you leave all your gear somewhere? Why not just take it home with you?
            sigpic

            I don't agree with your opinion, but I respect its straightforwardness in terms of wrongness.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by L-1
              Hi Fairview,

              I've read your posts on Venting and on Search & Seizure. Forgive me if I sound rude as that is not my intention. However, there is something I need to point out to you. For someone who hasn't even been to the academy and has little experience as a city police officer, you certainly spend a lot of time critiquing your department and trying to tell others how to do their job.

              First, you ran to your city council and threatened to quit if they retained their previous chief because he was (to use your words) "cooked." Apparently this was not true because at the same time, you admitted to us here in the forum that you never saw him doing anything illegal.

              Next, you took a vacation followed by an unpaid leave of absence so you could casually reflect on whether you wanted to continue working there. In doing so, you turned in your city furnished gear. When you decided that maybe you would like to work again, you threw a tantrum when you found out the city issued that equipment to someone else who wanted the job badly enough to actually come to work, while you stayed out on an unpaid leave of absence.

              Finally, now that you are back, you have taken it upon yourself to supervise a fellow officer, in spite of the fact that you still have relatively little experience, have never been through the academy and are not even a supervisor or responsible for the quality of his work.

              I have worked with people like you throughout my career and you are a co-worker's nightmare. You have made it clear to your coworkers that even though you are a bottom of the food chain officer, if the department, your superiors and your coworkers don't conform to your personal philosophy, your will threaten, accuse and attempt to impose your will on them until they quit or get fired. Management by accusation, whining, tantrum or through power plays is something that will put you in everyone's gun sights. While you will divide and demoralize your department at first, on the positive side you will eventually unite them when everyone works together as a team to get you bounced out.

              Now, if I have misinterpreted you then I apologize profusely. But the tone of your posts strongly suggests that as far as you are concerned, it's going to be your way or the highway for your fellow employees. You really need to step back and reassess your position within the grand scheme of things.
              +1... I agree totally.

              Your agency is far too small to be the squeeky wheel, Fairview. I am certain you are working without too much civil service protection, so you might wish to adapt to the status quo. I read the site for your agency and it would appear to be a boot strap operation. If anyone else is interested here it is:

              http://www.usacops.com/mt/p59221/aboutus.html
              Last edited by SgtCHP; 02-18-2007, 03:35 PM.
              Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence!

              [George Washington (1732 - 1799)]

              Comment


              • #8
                Bret,

                I am not sure if this makes you feel better or not but I was involved in a shooting, before I left the crime scene I wanted to grab any of my expensive equipment from my car but they wouldn't let me so, I went on administrative leave. A week later, I came back to work and they told me that my stuff was in the Armory. I grabbed all of my stuff and put it in my car but realized that I was missing my $125 flashlight. I sent an email out asking whoever took it to bring it back and I didn't get any replies.

                Long story short,

                I feel your pain and I hate thieves!

                Reserve Cop stuckinsecurity
                Former Sgt/USMC
                Former Police Officer
                Current Private Investigator

                ----------------------------------
                US Capitol Police
                Applied: 8/2010
                Offer: 8/2010
                BI: 8/2010
                POST Test: ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Okay L-1, here's the deal. I was actually going to quit but the city council wanted me to stay. I told them I'd think about it while i was on my vacation. I put my gear in the cell because we've had a lot of break ins lately in this town and I knew it would be safer at the PD than at my house (or so I thought). The reason the city council wanted me to stay is because even though the old Chief wasn't the straightest arrow in the quiver, he did a lot of good things for our department and I knew what those things were and they wanted me to help the new Chief keep building on those things. By the time I got back, he'd already gave my equipment to the new officer (which I found out she didn't even know was mine, the Chief just said "looks like this gear will fit you" and threw her my gear, which yes, had been issued to me with a hand receipt to prove it).

                  In just over a month of work, the new chief has tried to start the department over from scratch. I don't mind the changes he wants to make, but they need to be gradual so it's not such a shock to the officers trying to adapt or to the city council who has to approve all purchases. And yes, I may not have a whole lot of time working here, but the sad truth is, the average officer only stays in Fairview between 6-8 months due to a VERY CRAPPY pay scale. I could go to wal mart and make more starting out than I do here. I don't do this job for the money. I do it to serve my community, just like I serve in the military to serve my country. It may sound like I'm bitching about a lot, but I am in no way trying to get anybody fired from their position or conform to my way of thinking. I'm trying to keep the city council off the chief's *** and i'm trying to keep the chief from really screwing up since he hasn't even been to the academy yet and has NO street experience. Right now we're the laughing stock of the county for the simple fact that the town can't get a certified officer to come work here (due to the crappy pay...why make around 1000 a month after taxes here when you can go somewhere else and make more than twice that???)

                  Besides, if I was trying to get them to run the department the way I wanted it run, don't you think I would've taken the Chief position when I was offered it when the old chief quit? I turned it down because I'm not qualified to run a department, but I don't want to seee all the fien points of our deparmtent thrown away because the new chief has a grudge against the old one.

                  And yes, the old Chief was considered crooked. There were some things that I witnessed to be very "shady", but without diong a complete investigation into it, i couldn't tell you if it was really illegal. Due to charges pending against him, I can't say anymore on the subject. I also refuse to incriminate a man that did wonders for turning our department around and making it a respected agency for a while.

                  ETA- the original post may have been complaining, but that's why it's called a VENT. it was to get something off my chest so I could go back to work and not let it bug me there. Tear me down all you want, you only see a very small portion of the story
                  Last edited by fairviewpd; 02-17-2007, 06:11 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SgtCHP
                    +1... I agree totally.
                    Be sure to send me your 112 so I can put an atta boy on it. (G)
                    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Not even academy certified and offered a Chief's spot by the city. hhmmmmmm

                      Either way since the female officer is quitting, perhaps she should take a desk jockey spot so you can get your gear back.

                      I would suggest that you find another department to work for if you can't make a living there or don't see yourself as being happy in the future.

                      Sucks to loose equipment like that and if it's rightfully yours then you have every right to take it back now or be comped for it. If it is department issued then I guess it's tough luck. If you don't feel safe with what you have then make a stink about it and get what gear will allow you to do your job.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        How can they hire a Chief of Police that isn't even a Cop?
                        How can you be shagging calls and doing traffic stops w/out being a certified/commissioned Officer?

                        This all stinks...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Oy!

                          Dude!

                          No matter how you try to spin it, you still come off as someone who is trying to stir the pot big time:

                          Originally posted by fairviewpd
                          Okay L-1, here's the deal. I was actually going to quit but the city council wanted me to stay. I told them I'd think about it while i was on my vacation. I put my gear in the cell because we've had a lot of break ins lately in this town and I knew it would be safer at the PD than at my house (or so I thought). By the time I got back, he'd already gave my equipment to the new officer (which I found out she didn't even know was mine, the Chief just said "looks like this gear will fit you" and threw her my gear, which yes, had been issued to me with a hand receipt to prove it).
                          Based on your previous post, you turned your equipment in and took an unpaid leave of absence after your vacation ran out. In government this is know as a separation or termination. The fact that you were rehired later is irrelevant. For all intent and purpose you no longer worked there and your city issued stuff was fair game for whoever the Chief wanted to give it to. Get over it.

                          Originally posted by fairviewpd
                          The reason the city council wanted me to stay is because even though the old Chief wasn't the straightest arrow in the quiver, he did a lot of good things for our department and I knew what those things were and they wanted me to help the new Chief keep building on those things.

                          In just over a month of work, the new chief has tried to start the department over from scratch. I don't mind the changes he wants to make, but they need to be gradual so it's not such a shock to the officers trying to adapt or to the city council who has to approve all purchases.

                          I'm trying to keep the city council off the chief's *** and i'm trying to keep the chief from really screwing up
                          Listen to your own words, You still give the impression that you're the guy who is really in charge and who knows better than everyone else how things should be done.

                          Originally posted by fairviewpd
                          I'm trying to keep the city council off the chief's *** and i'm trying to keep the chief from really screwing up since he hasn't even been to the academy yet and has NO street experience.

                          Besides, if I was trying to get them to run the department the way I wanted it run, don't you think I would've taken the Chief position when I was offered it when the old chief quit? I turned it down because I'm not qualified to run a department, but I don't want to seee all the fien points of our deparmtent thrown away because the new chief has a grudge against the old one.
                          Spoken like someone who truly wants to call the shots but is setting someone else up to take the fall in case he makes the wrong decision.

                          Originally posted by fairviewpd
                          The reason the city council wanted me to stay is because even though the old Chief wasn't the straightest arrow in the quiver.....

                          In just over a month of work, the new chief has tried to start the department over from scratch. I don't mind the changes he wants to make, but they need to be gradual so it's not such a shock to the officers trying to adapt or to the city council who has to approve all purchases.

                          ...but the sad truth is, the average officer only stays in Fairview between 6-8 months due to a VERY CRAPPY pay scale. I could go to wal mart and make more starting out than I do here.

                          I'm trying to keep the city council off the chief's *** and i'm trying to keep the chief from really screwing up since he hasn't even been to the academy yet and has NO street experience. Right now we're the laughing stock of the county for the simple fact that the town can't get a certified officer to come work here (due to the crappy pay...why make around 1000 a month after taxes here when you can go somewhere else and make more than twice that???)

                          ...I don't want to seee all the fien points of our deparmtent thrown away because the new chief has a grudge against the old one.

                          And yes, the old Chief was considered crooked. There were some things that I witnessed to be very "shady", but without diong a complete investigation into it, i couldn't tell you if it was really illegal. Due to charges pending against him, I can't say anymore on the subject.
                          In one post you have publicly (and single-handedly) bad mouthed your old chief, your new chief, your department, your city and labeled your old chief as a criminal without offering any substantiation whatsoever and where no conviction has occurred. Assuming you really work for Fairview PD, you have may given your old Chief grounds for a civil suit against your agency and the city, not only for defamation of character, but for publicly disclosing personnel matters, which are usually confidential as a matter of law. Your conduct here has been so unprofessional and detrimental to the city's interests that if I were your current Chief, one of the city council members, or the Mayor and found out about your posts, I would move for your immediate termination.
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            And then I would hope to High Water that no one on this forum copy/pasted your posts to the City Council or Mayor or Chief's email address, which is likely posted on the internet or the City's website somewhere.

                            The internet, it just isn't anonymous anymore.

                            EDJ
                            "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              In NY, there are Police and Peace Officers, both are LE, but normally have somewhat different missions/authority, etc. However, both are certified and sanctioned to legally uphold whatever laws are within their jurisdiction/authority. How the hell can there be a whole department (as small as it apparently is), with absolutely NO certified/authorized LEO's??? Just wondering.....

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4020 users online. 261 members and 3759 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X