300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Weeks Down, 10 Weeks To Go.....

I'm home for the weekend from my second week at the academy. It's not bad. The PT isn't hard at all although doing it at a time other than five in the morning would be nice. Yes, I do go to sleep early, but, I've always gone to sleep early LOL. It's a statewide academy meaning that agencies from all over the state come to it. The meals aren't bad either although a few have been a lot less than desirable. For some reason we have to wear woodland BDU pants bloused over our boots. I'm not sure why. We have white acadmy t-shirts and sweatshirts to go with it. The combination is a bit odd, but oh well. I'm surprised by how much of the student body was in the military.

The first week was totally lame. The curriculum, as I was told to be prepared for, was slow and boring. Topics included ethics, report writing (mine were turned out to be almost identical to the instructor's), testifying in court (which was more or less obvious), an introduction to the criminal justice system (if you didn't already know it involves police, courts, and corrections then you shouldn't be here LOL), off duty encounters, patrol patterns and techniques (damn this segment was stupid), and traffic law. The traffic law was not what I expected although it, too, was easy. I knew the guy teaching it. He was an SRO back when I was a teacher. He's cool. My captain, FTO, and numerous others told me the academy would be too easy for me. A sergeant said, "with your intelligence you'll want to quit the academy since it's so simplified you'll be bored out of your skull." He was right. It's boring, but the future curriculum seems like it will have some interesting components. I made a 100% on my first week's test.

The second week was range shooting. That got really old really fast. I like guns, and I love shooting. Five days worth of shooting, however, was four too many for me. I shot "expert" everyday with my Glock. A few others made expert, but nobody came close to my 98%. That was so cool. I knew I could shoot, but I didn't know I could shoot that well because I've never done it, on my own, in a competitive and timed environment although I did an agency qualification a month ago. It was so surprising to see people that supposedly qualified at their respective departments not even hitting the targets at the academy. After all was said and done I was stoked about all this, but I don't want to shoot again for a while.

Next week we have domestic violence, assault, sexual assault, and things such as that. Also we have our first day of unarmed self-defense. That'll be cool. I'm looking forward to that. I think we have arson investigation also coming up this week. That'll be cool. That's always interested me. During the nights this past week we had our RADAR/LIDAR class. I completed that so I'm certified for that now too although the insturctor impressed one great thing upon me...I never ever want to run RADAR, lol. I've also found in FTO that I never want to run B.A.C. that I'm also certified for, LOL.

All said, I'm open minded about all of this. Granted, the way it is mind-numbingly presented to us in class makes it very boring. Lectures, Power Point presentations, and outdated videos in which the music never quite seems to match the scene are not great teaching strategies. I like to learn stuff. I took countless random classes through college and even post-grad just because I wanted to learn stuff. I want to learn this material at the academy, and I am learning it. They just need to improve their pedagogical skills.

To sum it up, the academy isn't bad. It could be improved upon in many ways, and if you could work at your own pace I think I'd be, at least, halfway finished with it by now. Different learners call for different strategies. This I know because I was a teacher, myself, but geesh. I'll overcome because I've always wanted to do this.

More later!!

Funny

That's funny as hell. I thought I was the only one. I read all these posts about how scary the academy is/was. For the love of God, if you are not a complete idiot it's the easiest work experience you'll ever have. They have to dumb it down, particularly in areas where agencies throughout their state send all recruits to the same academy. The podunk agencies have to be able to get certified officers, they can't get good candidates, so they make the academy as easy as possible so all can pass. You have to work very hard not to make it through a basic police academy. I'm sure there are hard ones out there, I just don't know of any.

So all you newbies, relax, unless you're a chowder head, you'll get through. In the academy I attended, I spent less than four hours studying outside of class, my academic average was 98%. I'm not a rocket scientist, it's just so dumbed down so they can get everyone to pass.

Comment

Hutchingo: what academy did you attend?
      They [the bad guys] don't care about hurting people and sometimes, when you are the bad guy, your door gets knocked in and warrants get served.

Comment

12 week academy? Iam in week 16 of 25...

Comment

Originally posted by sotzo
          12 week academy? Iam in week 16 of 25...

I was just thinkin the same thing... Mine in Cali was 29 weeks and then here in GA was 21....

I think we did about 12 weeks of just PT...
          "I have learned to love that which is meant to harm me, so that I can stand in the way of those who are less strong. I can take the bullets for those who aren't able to."

"Violence Is A Language Gangs Understand"

Comment

Things will get pretty mind-numbing at Camden from time to time. Just hang in there. The last few weeks of range work, driving, and simulated scenarios are a lot more fun.
            Last edited by 11Bto5-0; 01-29-2007, 09:57 AM.
            "Martyr" - just a fancy word for "crappy fighter"

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaBravo404
              I was just thinkin the same thing... Mine in Cali was 29 weeks and then here in GA was 21....

I think we did about 12 weeks of just PT...
              Ha...I feel your pain. Week 12 of 26 here.

Comment

I can't wait to hear more from Arkansas and how easy and boring the academy is for a genius like him. How hard it must be to sit there with all the morons in the academy while knowing he is so far ahead of them. No one even came close to him on firearms! 12 week academy? You will be so ready for the streets when it is over.

Comment

I'd be cautious, you never know who's prowling on the boards...and why don't you want to use Radar/Lidar? It's a good way to find bigger and better things.
                  With that said, good luck, be safe.

Comment

ArkansasFan,
                    I hope your Chief reads your post. You sound like a high school kid. He'll be sorry he hired you.

Comment

Academy starts Tuesday, Feb. 6th. Thats tomorrow. :-/
                      TheDesire
                      Desire. Dedication. Dicipline.

Comment

This guy got some balls to come on here and down talk the department and his classmates. Your not a cop at this point and this tread is for sworn personnel only. 12 week academy? in cali thats a security training position, but i wont compare ARK and CALI. Seriously dude, you should chill out with your ego and come back when you graduate and spend some time on the streets. Good Luck!!!

P.S I'm confused, you say you have 10 weeks to go, but your profile say that you are sworn.
                        Last edited by LB Blue; 02-05-2007, 07:55 PM.
                        "I rather be judged by twelve, than carried by six."

Comment

Academy

I'm in week 18 of 28.
                          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                          that we are all that stands between
                          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

in Minnesota it is only 10 weeks....12 hour days.

Comment

Originally posted by LB Blue
                              P.S I'm confused, you say you have 10 weeks to go, but your profile say that you are sworn.
                              Just FYI, in Arkansas you can serve as a sworn officer for up to one year before certification (ie. graduate academy)
                              "Martyr" - just a fancy word for "crappy fighter"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2898 users online. 157 members and 2741 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X