300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Time you stopped an LEO...

How did you handle the first time? Obviously it depends on the situation. What are your thoughts on professional courtesy?

It appears this is talked about a lot on the board. I am still in training, but I know I will show a lot of professional courtesy unless it is high disregard for the law. Treat your brothers and sisters as you would like to be treated if stopped by them.

Comment

Originally posted by SalemBlue
      How did you handle the first time? Obviously it depends on the situation. What are your thoughts on professional courtesy?
      Gave the driver back their DL REG and INS and said have a safe trip.
      New Rule: The more complicated the Starbucks order, the bigger the *******. If you walk into a Starbucks and order a "decaf grande? half-soy, half-low fat, iced vanilla, double-shot, gingerbread cappuccino, extra dry, light ice, with one Sweet-n'-Low and one NutraSweet," ooh, you're a huge *******.

Comment

I clocked a minivan in a pack (3 cars) passing the others (speeding). I pull him over and do my "normal" safety routine on approach. I get to the driver's side pillar and inform him of the reason for the stop and ask for his DL, REG, and INS. He hands all three to me, I've been watching his hands the whole time so I don't know who he is at this point. I look down at the DL...and WHOA! It's my primary FTO from a year ago who left to work closer to his hometown 60 miles away. I couldn't stop laughing...and apparently his wife thought it was funny too. Anyhow, I'm talking to him, check local warrants on him just for good measure and to let the entire shift, which he left 10 months prior, know that he'd been stopped. Senior dispatcher comes on asks if I want to check NCIC on this guy and if he should call his home county where he works now to check for warrants. Everyone got a good laugh out of it. Best part, I'm driving his old "assigned" car that night..so I clocked him with his own car basically. I didn't have the heart to ticket him, but I did give him crap about speeding in my jurisdiction. LMAO

Comment

First time I stopped an LEO he said he was rushing to the hospital or some such place. He was doing about 15+ the limit. Then when I went to stop him he wasn't paying attention (thank God it was like 3am) and ran a red light.

He was nice, and apologetic. I reminded him as a P/O he should be more alert than that. He agreed. I told him I hope his wife (or whoever it was he was going to see) gets better and wished him luck.
          You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

cops dont write

In absence of injury or death to a civilian, cops dont write cops
            10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

The first time I stopped a cop I asked for him for his license, Reg and insur. I simply stated, "I have my duty weapon with me". I then said let me see your ID. I opened it and I said have a nice day.

Comment

Ditto with HardBall.
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Comment

Originally posted by HardBall
                  In absence of injury or death to a civilian, cops dont write cops
                  I agree. You never know when that officer may have to back you up and if you wrote them, would he/she really have your back? I dont want to find out the hard way!
                  "Americans sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Comment

follow the laws you enforce, then we wont have such a double standard to worry about or discuss...
                    its ridiculous... as more and more cars become equiped with onboard camera systems, letting LEO's off the hook for traffic violations of a semi-serious nature will be long gone...
                    dont break the law you swore to enforce and everything would be fine...
                    i read something the other day about a city officer(from the northern portion of the state) who was stopped about 70 miles south of his jurisdiction riding his motorcycle... he was all worked up because the county department wrote him up for 85 in a 50 with workers present in a marked work zone... he lost his job...
                    i dont feel that it was wrong to cite the officer... and i dont feel bad that he lost his job.

Comment

VA cops

Rookies
                      Be careful of any advice from Virginia cops.
                      They have their own way of doing things there.
                      They have no concept of professional courtesy.
                      They think they are right and cops in all the other 49 states are wrong.
                      They think it is ok to write other cops for such ticky-tack offenses as speeding.

Do what you want but be advised-
                      even a cursory search of the posts on this site will show you that Virginia cops are out of step with the rest of the profession...Follow their advice at your own risk...So if you're a Virginia cop, pen out those tickets to other cops
                      For the rest of the world- Cops don't write other cops speeding tickets
                      10% of the cops do 90% of the work

Comment

I just say have a safe night and be on my way.

Comment

Cops Don't Write Cops

BUMP to Hardball from Jersey. Cops don't write cops. This VA thing is bugging me. Northern VA (DC area inside the beltway) is like a different state and mindset from those downstate boys. Sort of like NYC and NY State, or Chicago and the rest of Illinois. Even we shudder when we get outside the beltwsy. To all those downstate boys, Cops don't write cops!
                          "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

The only thing I will write another cop for is DUI. Aside from that, I hand back their info w/o clearing them and wish them a pleasant evening.

Comment

Jesus Christ, here goes that Virginia 'Cops aren't above the Law" crap. HEY ALL YOU VA COPS, YOU HAVE THIS REALLY POWERFUL TOOL AT YOUR DISPOSAL, IT'S CALLED DISCRETION, USE IT!!!!

What the hell is so hard to understand about it? God, its like you guys like to love to stab your own brothers in the back. I'd hate to see what you do to yuor parents.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4940 users online. 315 members and 4625 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X