Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of jumping ship to another dept.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of jumping ship to another dept.

Does anyone know how expensive it is to train a recruit? send them through academy and FTO? I got hired on to my second choice department, but still have my app going through with choice number one. Right now I'm in the academy. I don't want to be a total @ss and jump to the other dept when I graduate because of all money they've invested in me. How long would you recommend I work with my second choice dept to pay back what they've invested in me before going elsewhere? It's not that I don't like where I am, it is just that the other dept offers better pay, benefits, greater mobility, and a type of work that is more suited to my liking. And no, I didn't sign a contract. . . .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom

Reason for Editing.
    Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010, 04:35 PM.
    Work smarter not harder!

Comment

Most places have probationary periods, and most departments will have agreements to not hire probationary officers from another department.

But if you can jumps ship, go for it.

Comment

I alwats encourage people to jump ship

more overtime for me..!!

www.schackdaddy.com
        " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
        " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Always Look Out For #1..

Good Luck
          ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterlee
            Always Look Out For #1..

Good Luck
            ++1
            Cause no one else will!!!!

Comment

If you can do it, do it NOW.Most police officers are more loyal to their dept than their dept are too them.

Dave

Comment

My department's police is two years or you pay back everu thing they invested, whic for my department equals to about 25K.

Comment

Here in ohio a dept will pay about $40,000 to house feed and train you. Do what you think is best for you. Don't let anything sway you. If you pass up on a good opertunity, you may not get a second chance. But be sure it's what you want. Is there that much difference between the two departments? I know a lot of guys that didn't get their first choice, but are perfectly happy with where they landed.
                  "Well I'm here now, so deal with it."

Comment

Originally posted by ss6
                    Does anyone know how expensive it is to train a recruit? send them through academy and FTO? I got hired on to my second choice department, but still have my app going through with choice number one. Right now I'm in the academy. I don't want to be a total @ss and jump to the other dept when I graduate because of all money they've invested in me. How long would you recommend I work with my second choice dept to pay back what they've invested in me before going elsewhere? It's not that I don't like where I am, it is just that the other dept offers better pay, benefits, greater mobility, and a type of work that is more suited to my liking. And no, I didn't sign a contract. . . .

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom
                    Go for it, and do it NOW. My classmate in the academy jumped-ship a week prior to our graduation, and moved to another PD. For pretty much the same reason - better pay, benefits, and distance.
                    "Don't be an Idiot - Use your common sense!" - Freakapino

Comment

I have repeatedly made the mistake of staying with the Departement that hired me first. Desperate agencies hire faster, and they were desperate for a reason. I always worry about applying to agencies that hire often without some obvious external reason like population growth.
                      Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Comment

I agree with everyone else here. If there is no contract to hold you down then go ahead and run. If you stay you'll always wonder; what if..........
                        Blame it on the Trunk Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNT
                          If you can do it, do it NOW.Most police officers are more loyal to their dept than their dept are too them.

Dave

Dave that is so true......
                          THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNT

Dave

Hear hear. You need to look out for yourself first. just be sure that your #1 choice really is the better choice. Pay and gear is important but so is the working relationship of your peers, attitudes, support from your supervisors, etc. That may be better where you are at now, even though you may make a bit more at the other place. Is two grand better even though you hate being there because everyone else has a shi-tty attitude you work with everyday?

In other words, if that isnt the case, then head out!
                            And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

Jump Jump Jump

I agree with the general population. JUMP JUMP JUMP JUMP

We loose A LOT people to other departments while in the Academy because of the higher pay scale and living conditions of the other Departments. The problem is it is happening over and over and over. It is to the point that our Academy is being used by other Departments to train their people without telling our Department (ie, let our Department pay for the training of their new higher). The recruiters from other Departments are standing outside, accross the street from the Academy and recruiting PPO's on their lunch breaks. Offering bonuses for those that sign up to be hired after graduation from the Academy. When I worked close by the Academy, I would see PPO's still in their graduation dress uniform walk straight from the ceremony and hand it their badge, ID and gun within a 1/2 hour and say SEE YA. I say, if you can get a better gig, GO FOR IT. I'm to old to go searching around, but I can't blame a young buck.
                              I didn't do nufin' osifer.
                              Das mu gumment name.
                              Das my baby daddy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4395 users online. 246 members and 4149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X