Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariner1985
    replied
    25k a year... how do you even deal with it?

$25,100 a year is so horribly insulting to the men who protect the world's greatest city. I wonder how Bloomberg gets away with it! $44,000 was an acceptable wage to start off at, and how it got negotiated DOWN almost twenty grand is amazing. How Bloomberg got reelected is even more amazing. I am strongly considering applying for the MTA Police (don't even know where to start with them).

Seriously, the police should just strike. If it's illegal, who's going to arrest them, other police who KNOW the wages suck? It's NYC... they have the budget and the ability to pay every fireman and cop at least $50,000 at the start, whether they admit it or not. Bloomberg cannot just fire every striking cop, cause then retraining a competent number of officers and getting their experience up would be very hard.

These policemen are patient as hell.... Stop and Shop cashiers make more than they do, the Staten Island Ferry deckhands make more than them too.

NYPD used to pay very well for what they did, and after 9/11, the leaders in the city just ****ed all over them.

Leave a comment:

• deftones
    replied
    nypd = 25k

im also signed up for the 25k class this jan06. still have to do my medical and physco test, character ivestigations etc.. i have my medical date so its moving along.

25K is not alot to live on. i work for that much at hsbc bank a few years ago. after acadamy it jumps to 32k but still i think 32k should be the acadamy rate and 35 maybe for after acadamy.

i dunno just my 2 cents. im looking forward to a great job but hope i dont get screwed by the machine.
    Last edited by deftones; 11-07-2005, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hydroshok
    replied
    My opinion.....I posted one on NYPD under the "NYC apartment sharing for nypd recruits". JUst my 2 cents maybe 5.

Leave a comment:

• Brooklyn10-63
    replied
    NYPD Academy - January 06

First post to the board so I figure I take a moment to introduce myself. I'm done processing (except for the mini-medical) and probably going into the January 06 class (now known as the $25K class).

I'm currently working as a Auxiliary and have for the past couple of years while I made up my mind about whether to do this full-time or not. I still have my days where the $25K seems a bit low to live on in NYC.

I live in Brooklyn by myself and have for the past 10 years. After living alone for amost a decade, the thought of having a roommate makes me a little nervous but at the $25K I might have to bite the bullet.

Anyway, thought I would say hello and if I can answer any questions or help anyone, let me know. I currently work in the same building as the Academy so I have seen many classes go through and have lots of friends on the job and a couple that are in the Academy now.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I actually applied to the NYPD last year, and turned it down. Instead, I was accepted by the Montgomery County PD, in MD, and I love it. Yes, I had to pack up and leave NY, as did my wife, but the starting salary there is $15,000 more than NY. It is also a very well run organization. Just me 2 cents. I am a very happy officer.

Leave a comment:

• gtang
    replied
    Originally posted by airforcej30
    Any candidates in process right now?
    Thinking about it. Would be in the Academy on January 2006, if I pass the other parts; expect to. I'm already in Brooklyn, have my 60 credits (no degree yet - am working on it). The money's much lower than what I can make now, though. Might try to swing it anyway. Single guy, early 30s. I've never been in law enforcment before.

Leave a comment:

• DH21187
    replied
    If you have your college degree you are wasting your time being hired by the NYPD. Go to Law or Medical school so you can earn a decent salary. Starting pay for the NYPD is 25k, which is what I started with back in 1990.

I quit there after 8 years because I couldn't afford to stay their any longer. I got 4 zero percent raises during the 8 years I was there.

If you are dead set on being a copy pick any place but the NYPD.

Leave a comment:

• espliceryan
    replied
    Hey guys, got any advice for a guy fresh out of college with a criminal justice degree. I want to go to the NYPD, and i am scheduled to be in the JAN 06 academy but i have some reservatiosn about living arrangments and how the academy will be. If anyone is interested in appartmets or anything like that i am open to anyone. I really dont want to commute (from westchester, croton on Hudson) so it will be a long *** train ride if i dont live in the city. I also want to know about what i can expect in the academy. I have read all the posts on here and most are the same but some have outrageous facts. I would like some straight answers (wouldn't we all?) What physical condition i should be in, what time does the academy start? I heard 7 am or 4 pm depending if you get the morning class or the afternoon? is this a rumor? i also want to know any general info you have.

Thank you to all

Leave a comment:

• DH21187
    replied
    When I was there in 1990 the only people who got to chose their commands after graduation where the company Sgts and the class validictorian. We all put or names on a wish list as to where we wanted to go, but only those people with connections actually went there.

Leave a comment:

• bostonnorth
    replied
    Does the NYPD give preferential assignments to top graduates from the academy? Does it pay to do well?

Leave a comment:

• airforcej30
    replied
    NYPD "Dream Sheet"

I'm not to sure how this works ... although SMOOTH made a few good points being that he is in the academy now. I do know this ... if you have any military backround (thank god I do) you can choose the position of Company Sergeant while in the academy. It is more responcibility than other recruits but the benefits are that you get to pick your precinct upon graduation. I only know this because my brother chose that position and he is in the precinct he picked.

Leave a comment:

• Robbocop
    replied
    Doing the job because one may love it or not is one thing...Trying to survive (own or rent a nice home or apartment, put food on the table etc) is another thing especially in one of the most expensive cities in the nation..Not forgetting about paying into your pension, union dues etc...what are you left with..?

I feel that if they somehow lift the residency requirement and allow for officers to reside in NJ...they may get more applicants (or it may be easier for one)...cheaper living and many are already settled there with decent rent payments..

Leave a comment:

• smooth2347
    replied
    well as far as the dream sheets, it is correct that they make u choose an area that has a transit and a housing unit. however, like it is titled it is a DREAM Sheet!! you'll never get the area you want unless you make a phone call and pull some strings. The first 6 mons is what they call impact precints. those are the places they throw you and after 6 mons you can be picked to stay or you get thrown somewhere inside the borough. Secondly as far as the salary those who are going to take the 25 a yr god bless you.. cuz i wouldnt take it for that price, my life ant worth 40 grand let alone 25 a yr. just to put it in persepective those making 25 a year will be working roughly w/o overtime 2.5 years to make what i am making now.... so if you look at it your putting in 2 yrs more than i am to make decent money and thats not worth it. Now the reason why we arent paid decently in NYCPD is that Bloomberg states that we do not pick this job for the money we pick it becasuse we enjoy it and want to help the communty. DOnt forget now Bloomberg only makes 99 cents a yr as mayor, but hes a billionaire. DOuble standard i think so!!!! How ironic is that.... Good Luck!!

Leave a comment:

• rubrducky
    replied
    Why is the PD lowering salaries? You would think that a city as big as NY would be able to pay better than that! Whats the cost of living like?

Leave a comment:

• KateR
    replied
    Just realized that this area is for law enforcement officers only and that I probably shouldn't have been posting. Sorry - next time I'll look before I leap.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5121 users online. 333 members and 4788 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X