Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KateR
    replied
    I'm told the dream sheets ask you to choose 2 patrol boroughs, 2 transit boroughs, and 2 housing boroughs that you'd like to work in. You can't choose a specific precinct. There's also no guarantee that you'll get any of the choices on your list and that in the end, they may just put you where they need you.

Leave a comment:

• KateR
    replied
    nypd

We're in the same boat. I thought about joining the PD right after college, but another job fell in my lap and I took it. I have some serious regrets about not signing on then. If the 25K was the salary when I was 21, I could live on it no problem. Now, it is going to be more difficult.

I will say though, that I'm a lot smarter now than I was at 21, which can only be to my advantage. I just feel like I wasted 5 years of my life.
    Last edited by KateR; 09-16-2005, 10:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bostonnorth
    replied
    Can anyone comment on a new nypd officer's likely first assignment. Obviously a lot go into the various patrol precints, but I know I would be real disappointed getting assigned to transit, even housing doesn't have the same appeal as patrol.

Specifically, what do you kow about the "dreamsheets" you fill out at the end of the academy? Can you request patrol vs transit vs housing?

Leave a comment:

• airforcej30
    replied
    It's a damn shame if you ask me ... such an honorable job taken so lightly. Your right about the recruiting issues, who knows what will happen? I don't think lowering the age or educational requirements will help. Both my brothers are on the job, and beleive me there are a few characters on the job now as it is.

I'm not sure what to do at this point ... I guess if you want it bad enough you'll have to sacrifice in the beginning. I only wish I made this decision 7 years ago instead of waiting till the age of 28 to start my career, noit that I'm old but I wasted 7 years that I could have already earned towards my retirement at 41.

I don't think anything will be changed any time soon .. even with a new mayor, I have seen the long tediuos negotiation process for the NYPD. I'll probably jump on the ban-wagon in Jan with hope of a fair increase within 2 years.

Leave a comment:

• KateR
    replied
    NYPD's pay

The new 25K salary in the academy / 32k upon graduation is in effect even if you took the test before the new contract. I hear this July 05 class is packed because everyone wanted to get in before the salary dropped.

I'm curious to see what happens with the January class. I hear that NYPD was having recruitment problems before the new, lower salary. My guess is that they're going to have to either lower the age/educational requirement or find a way to raise the salary.

There's a mayoral candidate (Ferrer?) right now who is saying that he will raise the starting salary of the PD if elected. Guess who's getting my vote?

I'm taking the October exam which will be good for about 4 years. I plan on sitting tight for a year to see what happens in terms of salary before signing on (it also gives me time to save up some money so I'm not destitute my first year).
    Last edited by KateR; 09-16-2005, 10:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• airforcej30
    started a topic NYPD Academy

NYPD Academy

Any candidates in process right now ? Is this "new" low salary in effect for the Jan 2006 class even if you took the exam prior to this new degrading contract ? $25,100 while in the academy, $32,700 after graduation ???? What are they thinking ?
    Last edited by airforcej30; 09-16-2005, 05:39 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6256 users online. 345 members and 5911 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X