300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice from my Uncle...

Hello! l would like to share some pieces of a letter my Uncle wrote me when I graduated the academy 4 years ago. I still follow the advice from this letter and I saw very quickly that he is right. I am very thankful for the things he said and I figured anyone seeking out advice in this rookie corner might get something out of it.

My Uncle was a Police Officer in Washington and recently retired.

"I am very pleased to learn you have chosen Law Enforcement as a career. There is no more honorable profession.
    I would like to take this opportunity to give you my thoughts on how to survive the career you have chosen. You can take them for what you think they are worth.

As an officer, when all is said and done, all we really have is our integrity. Never, under any circumstances compromise it.

If it is not free or discounted to the general public it is not free or discounted to you. Not even a cup of coffee. Draw the line at a glass of water and never cross it. I don't care if it's acceptable practice, don't do it.

The three things most likely to get you into trouble are Booze Bills and Boyfriends. Use alcohol sparingly, live within your means and be cautious in your involvement with any member of your department. Remember if it does not turn out to be a match and marriage made in heaven you may have to work with that person for the next 30 years. That would be difficult to do under the best of circumstances. Oh yeah, never have sexual contact with anyone while you are on duty, ever.

Treat everyone with respect and courtesy especially the scumbags. You don't need to be tough just smart. Always give people more than they expect. If you are investigating a burglary and you can see the perp left no prints behind, dust for them anyway. It will only take a few minutes, make a big mess and the citizen will be happy. Note: sometimes ya might just get lucky. In short always go the extra mile it's worth it. Get off your ***, get out of your car and get to know the people you serve, especially the business owners and the kids.

The community policing concept is bull****. This term tends to give politicians and police administrators the warm fuzzies. In reality good cops have always worked that way. Community policing is an attitude, not a method, adopt it and find a way to make your own. Look for potential problems and solve them before they manifest themselves.
    Forget looking the bad guys in the eye, watch their hands. That is where most all threats will come from.

Become proficient with your sidearm and practice every month. Practice does not make perfect but perfect practice makes perfect. Do it right and often. Learn to think and move tactically. Learn how to pie a corner correctly and all that other high speed low drag stuff, it really works. It keeps you alive and convinces the bad guys they can't win. Always carry a flash light, even on day shift.

Sex and violence, you can't enjoy one if you don't survive the other!

Always wear your body armor, even if it is 110 degrees and 100% humidity, wear it, no exceptions, ever.

God gave you two eyes, two ears and one mouth. Keep the latter shut and the former open because right now you dont know S**t and you have a lot to learn. Listen to those that know. But most of all use the common sense God gave you and trust your instincts.

Learn to write good reports. You will be known and judged by the reports you write.

Yeah I know when you have an MDT and CAD you don't need to keep a notebook. Bulls**t, do it anyway. If you keep good notes they will someday save your ***.

Loyalty and Duty above all but Honor. Be loyal to your department and know and discharge your duties in a professional manner. However, never put either loyalty or duty ahead of your honor as an officer. Never do anything to compromise your honor and you will be respected and do well. "

Thanks NJ, I copied that letter and put it on my website. Your uncle is a wise man.
    "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Originally posted by pkagel
      Thanks NJ, I copied that letter and put it on my website. Your uncle is a wise man.
      No problem, I am glad you liked it. I hope it helps a little.
      Thank you, he is a wise man and I am just thankful he shared that wisdom with me. It sure did help and still does.

Comment

This rookie just copied it into a MS word document. Thanks.
        MAC

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4537 users online. 268 members and 4269 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X