300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yonkers NY police dept.

Is any one here a police officer in the Yonkers Police dept? Or do you know how the process of becoming a police officer there is? I'm taking the test in December and had some questions about there process. Thanks in advance.

Not for the city of Yonkers, but I'm very close. What did you want to know?

Comment

SWH, if you don't mind my asking.....where are you on in Westchester?

Comment

questions

I just wanted to know what you had to get on the written test in order to get to the next step and how long the whole process takes? Also I was on the YPD website and for the requirements it didnt list 60 credits was needed. Is that how it is also are there any other openings in westchester? thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by DOEHE31
          I just wanted to know what you had to get on the written test in order to get to the next step and how long the whole process takes? Also I was on the YPD website and for the requirements it didnt list 60 credits was needed. Is that how it is also are there any other openings in westchester? thanks in advance.
          I don't know what you need to get in, but there are MANY people that apply there due to the good work environment and good salary, so I'm guessing a 90+ will help you out, though that may not get you on for the first year or two, but again, I'm not sure. Not sure of the process time either, but I could find out this weekend and get back to you on Monday, I'll ask one of the MOS. As for education, I think only the city of New Rochelle has an college credit requirement, the rest of the county generally does not. As for other departments, the 'bigger' cities of Westchester, namely Yonkers, White Plains, Mount Vernon and New Rochelle use the state civil service exam, but make their own seperate lists for hire. Yonkers is hard to get onto, New Rochelle and White Plains are moderately hard to get onto, and Mount Vernon is rather easy, mostly because its a high rollover department (pretty much everyone else pays higher and has steady tours, they pay OK and work the clock). The rest of Westchester County's 40+ other departments hire off of the Westchester County civil service list, including Westchester Co. PD. However, they are all relatively small departments (County only has 250ish people and the other villages towns have much smaller departments), so they tend to only hire 2 or 3 at a time. Yonkers, Mount Vernon, White Plains and New Rochelle usually hire about 10-15 at a time.

BTW, Yonkers is the largest of the departments, with ~625 officers. The other cities all have about 200.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks alot for the info and I'll check back on monday when you get more info.

Comment

I also live in Westchester. If you don't have a residence in Yonkers, don't even bother with their test. They don't really hire anyone who doesn't live in the city. You'd be much better off with the White Plains PD test coming up also in December.

Comment

if you don't live in yonkers you might as well just mail in your $25 test fee in the form of a donation to the city of yonkers and sleep in the day of the test.
                -Sean

Comment

Originally posted by DOEHE31
                  Thanks alot for the info and I'll check back on monday when you get more info.
                  I got a little busy today, but when I asked 2 people about it, they said there was a 2 year period between taking the physical and getting into the academy, so it seems like 2 years is about right, from written exam to academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5105 users online. 302 members and 4803 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X