Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some clarifications about something...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some clarifications about something...

Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the forums, just had a quick question:

Here's the deal, I just started as a Police Officer in Wisconsin about a month and a half ago. I purchased a new Glock 21 from a buddy of mine, which is what I use on-duty. I went to look at handguns today.. Possibly looking for a Glock 36 or 30, something for off-duty.

I talked to the store owner about the possibility of purchasing a gun from him. The problem is I'm only 20 years old. The store owner tells me he's not able to sell to me til im 21. How is it that I'm able to be a Police Officer but I'm not able to buy myself a handgun to protect myself??? I know there's some deal where I can get my chief to send a letterhead to waive the whole waiting period to get the gun, and I figured the same would apply for purchasing a gun if not of age.

If any of you guys could clear up this confusion if it is possible for me to purchase another firearm that would be great. Hell, i'm 21 in a couple months but I just figured I would ask to see if this guy was right.

Thanks Again...

Here you can be a cop and carry till 21

Comment

In Indiana, you can get a gun permit and be a cop at 18. However, you cannot buy ammo or a gun until you are 21.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGDRookie
        Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the forums, just had a quick question:

Here's the deal, I just started as a Police Officer in Wisconsin about a month and a half ago. I purchased a new Glock 21 from a buddy of mine, which is what I use on-duty. I went to look at handguns today.. Possibly looking for a Glock 36 or 30, something for off-duty.

I talked to the store owner about the possibility of purchasing a gun from him. The problem is I'm only 20 years old. The store owner tells me he's not able to sell to me til im 21. How is it that I'm able to be a Police Officer but I'm not able to buy myself a handgun to protect myself??? I know there's some deal where I can get my chief to send a letterhead to waive the whole waiting period to get the gun, and I figured the same would apply for purchasing a gun if not of age.

If any of you guys could clear up this confusion if it is possible for me to purchase another firearm that would be great. Hell, i'm 21 in a couple months but I just figured I would ask to see if this guy was right.

Thanks Again...
        Yep. You won't be able to buy a handgun until you're 21. It sucks. I've heard stories about many police officers years ago starting at 19 and not being able to buy their own gun.
        Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

That sucks. Sorry. Its just like joining the military at 18 and you cant drink till you are 21, but you can die for your country....

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
            In Indiana, you can get a gun permit and be a cop at 18. However, you cannot buy ammo or a gun until you are 21.
            Same here in Michigan
            Anyone who believes "the customer is always right" has never been a police officer.

Comment

What did you expect? You can't even buy a beer.

Comment

Originally posted by SO535
                What did you expect? You can't even buy a beer.

True, True... Although I do write Underage Drinking Tickets on a regular basis.... (scratching my head).. Haha

Comment

It's like the three day wait we have on handguns here in Florida. If you have a concealed carry permit, the three day wait is waived. But I can walk into a gun shop, in uniform, and have to wait the three day period, even though I already have a gun on my hip.

Comment

I had to have my Pop buy my gun because I wasn't 21 yet..

Some people wait to turn 21 to drink..

First thing I went and bought was ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                      First thing I went and bought was ammo.
                      If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one

Comment

Get a Dept letter head. I don't know how it works up there, but in TN, get a dept letter head that says you are employed with that agency, and there is no background check, and you do not have to pay taxes and fees. If your state does that, it might get you by the age requirement also

Comment

First of all I hope you went through someone with a FFL when you bought your weapon from your buddy. If not, that is your first priority! In California you have to be 21 to go inside a bar including officers. It's impossible to became an officer if your under 21 here. Try ordering if your your deparmtent armorer.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3284 users online. 152 members and 3132 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X