300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rookie learns a hard lesson

I'm an instructor for the NRA pistol course, which is accepted in Colorado for a concealed carry permit. I was teaching a course last month, along with about 10 other instructors. During one of the breaks, I was joking with another instructor about the "gang sign" for police (index, ring, and pinky fingers extended horizontally, indicating "2 to the body, 1 to the head").

One of the students, who wasn't even intended to hear it, was offended. She did not mention it to me, or even to the chief instructor. Instead, she called my boss at the PD. I didn't know you could get complained on off duty for something trivial (ok, driving drunk or fighting in a bar, I can understand, but that?).

HOW COWARDLY! I was raised to bring an issue up with the person, not hide behind someone else. If someone offends you, take it up with them!

Lesson learned. All you other rookies take heed, too.
    MAC

Not supposed to post here I know but...

FYI, That is also a sexually suggestive "handsign". OK, sorry again for posting here.
    Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Yes, that's also the sign for the "pink n stink", also known affectionately as "The Shocker".
      Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

Hmm...dunno about any sexual messages in it; I've never heard of that. Apparently she hasn't either, because my boss talked to me about its gang connotation after hearing from her.
        MAC

Comment

My question would be how did she know you were a police officer? If you represented yourself as one then i think you would may want to act as though you were on duty. If she found out later and didnt know were a cop at the time of the alleged offense, then complained, i would of told my boss this happend when i was "off-duty" and its not the Departments business.

The 9th circuit court of appeals recently ruled on a complaint where an officer was repremanded for something he did off-duty and not acting in his capacity as a police officer. The 9th circuit threw out the officers repremand and he was cleared.

So, it appears it depends on how she knew you were an officer. Also, you cant help what her perception of the sign is. You indicated it as a gang sign and not something sexual. If she had been listening to your conversation instead of watching it then there wouldnt be an issue. One other questions, did your boss "document" your complaint?

Comment

Originally posted by Washingtonian
            Yes, that's also the sign for the "pink n stink", also known affectionately as "The Shocker".
            ..also not supposed to post here..but
            No, that isn't the shocker. The shocker is the index, middle finger, and pinkie extended.

http://www.rotten.com/library/langua...inger/shocker/
            Last edited by Praetorian; 08-10-2005, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I would hand her a tampon and tell her to "get over it."

Comment

If we have a problem with someone or something we confront it head on, women however talk behind each other's backs. We've had a few equally stupid beefs going around.

Just remember when a female is around watch what you say. There are a very few female coppers I would trust to speak freely around.

You need to go touchy feelly...send her a card and inside it draw a picture of only one finger extended and write below it

"Mind your own effing business next time!"

Comment

the "hurricane" is also a substitute word for the "shocker" hey, just thought id clear it up while we are on the topic

Comment

I'm not supposed to post here either, but- oh, no wait... I can. Nevermind.

Just goes to show until you know someone, whether they are a cop or not, play your cards close to your chest until you know that person. There are police officers out there that love nothing better than to police their own (in my own personal experience the vast majority of these have been female, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence).

But yeah, I agree. If you got a problem, take it to the source.
                    You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Originally posted by Praetorian
                      ..also not supposed to post here..but
                      No, that isn't the shocker. The shocker is the index, middle finger, and pinkie extended.

http://www.rotten.com/library/langua...inger/shocker/
                      Right you are. My bad.
                      Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Comment

LOL man get use to it.. there are a lot of whiney, immature, people who will talttle on anything in LE.. our training class actually got searched because someone told on another student for having a damn cell phone in class.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2715 users online. 146 members and 2569 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X