300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Day Advice

I was just hired on with a dept. in Texas and was wondering if anyone had any first day advice for "the rookie". Any advice on what to say/ not to say or do/ not to do would be a great help.
    A society that makes war with its police had better learn to to make friends with its criminals.

Glock 22 (Issued)
    Kimber TLE-RL II (SRT)
    Colt LEO AR-15 (Patrol and SRT)

Show up on time and keep your mouth shut. Just be affable and cheerful and go with the old "seen and not heard" rule. Do not, under any circumstances, tell any "war stories" to try and fit in.
    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

One more thing...

Edit the first line in your signature so that it makes sense.
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Which department, large or small ??

Generally, yup, keep quiet, like the new kid in school. Let the others approach you. At briefing, do not sit in the back. Have your **** toegether. Listen, and speak only when necessary. If you come from another department, do not lay on BS as to how things were done there.

Comment

Don't touch the radio. Don't touch the siren. Don't touch the air conditioner. You can adjust the seat if you want, but you better ask first before you touch the window.
          Expect to buy lunch.

Comment

1)Shutup.

2)Dont gossip.

3)Be smart,polite,and see number 1.

4)Expect some ****e off folk,either in a friendly way or well youre probably going to meet some a-holes.

5)listen and learn..........oh and congratulations
            "Well, I never had an invisible friend when I was young, but I'm sure that if I did, it would be Constable Smiley."

Comment

It's a smaller Dept. and it's also my first time to be on the job, so I don't have any war stories to share (yet). Thanks for all the good advice and I'll definitly carry some extra cash for my FTO's lunch. I just received my leather gear, badge, and firearm today. My uniforms should be in in the next day or so. Now if only I could decide what boots to get.....
              A society that makes war with its police had better learn to to make friends with its criminals.

Glock 22 (Issued)
              Kimber TLE-RL II (SRT)
              Colt LEO AR-15 (Patrol and SRT)

Comment

Don't ask if you can drive.

Study your street map during down time. Giving directions to rookies gets old, really quick.

If you need guidance during a call, ask for it. Don't be afraid to admit that you're a rookie to the public, they'll cut you a lot more slack that way, than if they just think you're a dumbass.
                Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4090 users online. 226 members and 3864 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X